Thinking of upgrading from SL to SL2-s

colonel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just wondered what I would notice day to day

I am primarily a stills shooter, and use prime lenses. I do use face detect a bit, especially for scene/street photography

I love the SL to bits, and especially its design.

What would be nice are if any of these are improved, although very good already:

1. More DR 

2. Higher ISO quality

3. More control over face detect

4. Fast sensor read out for less banding with electronic shutter

How much of this is realised with the SL2-s ?

I like the colour science of the SL, and would like that to stay the same

Any opinions very happily taken

Edited by colonel

I can’t comment on the original SL, never shot with it. But I can say this about the SL-2S: sensitivity is best in class, colour is the reason why I bought into the system, and IBIS is phenomenal, especially if you shoot with manual glass. Never a camera without it again. In my opinion the best reason not to buy an M. EVF is phenomenal too.

What you don‘t get: continuous AF simply isn’t up to the task. But face detection AF works nicely and rarely misses a shot, at least with the 24-90. 

Edited by hansvons
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 3/18/2022 at 5:25 PM, colonel said:

Just wondered what I would notice day to day

I am primarily a stills shooter, and use prime lenses. I do use face detect a bit, especially for scene/street photography

I love the SL to bits, and especially its design.

What would be nice are if any of these are improved, although very good already:

1. More DR 

2. Higher ISO quality

3. More control over face detect

4. Fast sensor read out for less banding with electronic shutter

How much of this is realised with the SL2-s ?

I like the colour science of the SL, and would like that to stay the same

Any opinions very happily taken

In short, just about everything that you've listed. I moved from the SL to the SL2 & then added an SL2-S as back up.

It's an outstanding camera, IQ is excellent & its high ISO performance is very good. Having been weaned on Kodachrome 25 for many years, I've seldom ventured above ISO 800 with digital. Since I acquired the SL2-S I've found myself using higher ISO settings when required, without giving this a 2nd thought. 

I think that I still prefer the colour rendering of the SL over both the SL2 & SL2-S, however this can be adjusted to taste in PP, the other advantages of the SL2-S outweigh this. You'll love the SL2-S.

• Like 3

Issues 1-3 are all noticeably better; I would say face detect is 'better' (faster, more reliable), rather than that you 'have more control'. The electronic shutter still gives problems with certain lighting - you just have to try it in each case and see if the lighting is problematic.

• Like 1

The SL2-S is a great upgrade to the SL601. They tweaked the colour science to make it more like the original SL than the SL2 and all the other things, plus a few new features.. It's a low-light monster, one of the best cameras I've ever used in this respect. If you're shooting an SL then you'll love the SL2-S. I shoot mine with M primes, SL primes and I have a couple of SL zooms as well. Check out Steve Huff's review of the SL2-S, he also came from using the SL which he loves. 

The images are just magical, they scream Leica just like my M's paired to M glass. I'm very very impressed. 

I use my SL for all my pro work and the M's mainly for personal projects. But... I do love using the SL as much as the M. 

• Like 2

electronic silent shutter works fine outdoors. banding if there are any artificial light sources though - so never use it indoors silently unless you are shooting strictly ambient with window light or similar.

Great camera. colours & skin tones are epic.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 9:24 AM, rcusick said:

Reid reviews shows about one stop of better low light performance and dynamic range from the sl if that helps. 

The SL and original Q are very old sensor tech by now. They have beautiful color at base ISO and if you don't raise the shadows too far. But the SL2-S is on a completely other level. One stop may be technically right, but when pushing files in post, the differences are huge, IMO.

• Like 3