Jump to content

Sell my v3 summicron 50mm and buy Voigtlander Apo Lanthar 50mm? No brainer?


jaques
 Share

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/18/2022 at 6:20 PM, shirubadanieru said:

My only 50mm is the rigid 50mm, I find it to be the best cron ever released by Leica; actually, the best 50mm ever released by leica maybe tied with the summilux 50mm. Voigtlander lenses are nice too though, and recently they’ve been releasing amazing lenses for sure. 

Bold words!  What sets the rigid apart for you?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shanefking said:

Bold words!  What sets the rigid apart for you?

Not really, so many people's favorite cron is the rigid or the DR. So many reasons, and only one downside.

  • Amazing resolution for such an old lens
  • Amazing built quality
  • At f2 it takes amazing portraits, quite sharp in the center while not being clinical or overly sharp
  • From f4 onwards, as sharp as any other lens
  • Great bokeh and glow
  • Perfect for B&W with great transitions
  • Much improved performance VS the collapsible that came before it
  • Most beautiful exterior of any Leica lens (well, tied with Summilux Steel Rim 35mm and Summilux 50mm Chrome version); this is of course personal taste, but a lot of people also seem to agree (including Leica, which remade both designs for the cron 50mm and lux 50mm in later special editions).
  • Only downside: Can only focus to 1m VS 0.7m on the V3 ~ V5. 
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, idusidusi said:

Sadly I committed that sin and have regretted it ever since.

😉

Lesson learned,

 

I've done that "sin" so many times,

sometimes, it's good idea to sell Leitz/Leica lens to discover more wonders.

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

😉

Lesson learned,

 

I've done that "sin" so many times,

sometimes, it's good idea to sell Leitz/Leica lens to discover more wonders.

The lens I regret selling the most the Apo-Telyt 135mm.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, idusidusi said:

The lens I regret selling the most the Apo-Telyt 135mm.

I think if you want to buy it back, you can.

Maybe a bit (not like some other lenses) more expensive than when you sold, but not as scarse as some more "hiped" Leitz/Leica lenses.

Like one here :

https://www.leica-camera-france.fr/occasion/apo-telyt-m-135-mm-f34

some more, here:

https://www.leicashop.com/classic/at/en/lcc/Leica/M-System/Lenses/Tele-Lenses/?order=release-date&p=1

 

 

Edited by a.noctilux
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/24/2022 at 9:29 PM, Olaf_ZG said:

The 50v3 is my first leica. Wouldn’t sell it, but could imagine adding a lens one day…

which 50mm Summicron III ?

we discussed about the versions depending on which author wrote it.

Two choices ...

III from Wiki ?

like this one ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

 

🙃

or so-called III from other authors

like this one ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

IQ wise there is no possible confusion between Summicron 50/2 v3 (no focus tab) and v4 (convex or concave focus tab). Both are a bit soft at f/2, especially on corners and edges, and are plenty sharp above but v3 has more veiling flare. Can give v3 pics a dreamy look that v4's don't have. Matter of tastes if you buy a lens for its character. Now if optical perfection is what you're after none can compete with the Summicron 50/2 apo. The CV 50/2 apo looks promising but i have no experience with it sorry, too bulky for my taste but it's just me.

Edited by lct
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lct said:

IQ wise there is no possible confusion between Summicron 50/2 v3 (no focus tab) and v4 (convex or concave focus tab). Both are a bit soft at f/2, especially on corners and edges, and are plenty sharp above but v3 has more veiling flare. Can give v3 pics a dreamy look that v4's don't have. Matter of tastes if you buy a lens for its character. Now if optical perfection is what you're after none can compete with the Summicron 50/2 apo. The CV 50/2 apo looks promising but i have no experience with it sorry, too bulky for my taste but it's just me.

Agree, v3 and v4 are my only 50mm Crons and different 'enough' in the ways mentioned  .  And if there is enough difference in v3 versus v4 then I'd strongly suggest keeping the v3 if adding an APO as I can only imagine those differences would be large.  I know OP suggested that if one comes then one must go but don't want you to regret moving on the lovely v3. 

Edited by grahamc
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lct said:

IQ wise there is no possible confusion between Summicron 50/2 v3 (no focus tab) and v4 (convex or concave focus tab). Both are a bit soft at f/2, especially on corners and edges, and are plenty sharp above but v3 has more veiling flare. Can give v3 pics a dreamy look that v4's don't have. Matter of tastes if you buy a lens for its character. Now if optical perfection is what you're after none can compete with the Summicron 50/2 apo. The CV 50/2 apo looks promising but i have no experience with it sorry, too bulky for my taste but it's just me.

No, it’s not just you. Too bulky for my taste too. As part of a comprehensive decosinafication program I replaced my APO-Lanthar 50/2 with an APO-Summicron-M 50 and couldn’t be happier. An APO-Summicron-M 35 has been ordered and  will eventually replace my APO-Lanthar 35/2. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/23/2022 at 6:50 AM, shirubadanieru said:

Not really, so many people's favorite cron is the rigid or the DR. So many reasons, and only one downside.

  • Amazing resolution for such an old lens
  • Amazing built quality
  • At f2 it takes amazing portraits, quite sharp in the center while not being clinical or overly sharp
  • From f4 onwards, as sharp as any other lens
  • Great bokeh and glow
  • Perfect for B&W with great transitions
  • Much improved performance VS the collapsible that came before it
  • Most beautiful exterior of any Leica lens (well, tied with Summilux Steel Rim 35mm and Summilux 50mm Chrome version); this is of course personal taste, but a lot of people also seem to agree (including Leica, which remade both designs for the cron 50mm and lux 50mm in later special editions).
  • Only downside: Can only focus to 1m VS 0.7m on the V3 ~ V5. 

I fully agree with all @shirubadanierusaid about the amazing qualities of the Rigid cron.

I see one downside : slightly less agreable ergonomics. I tend to prefer the newer designs (not a fan of infinity lock)

Didier 

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

which 50mm Summicron III ?

we discussed about the versions depending on which author wrote it.

Two choices ...

III from Wiki ?

like this one ?

 

🙃

or so-called III from other authors

like this one ?

The latter… 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/18/2022 at 1:55 PM, didier said:

Never sell a Leica lens ;) 

I happily sold my Summarit 90 2.5 - did not like the much cheaper build quality and mechanics compared to 'regular' Leica lenses.  I replaced it with an Macro Elmar 90 which is just perfect.

Happily sold a goggled 35 3.5 Summaron.  Very nice lens but the permanently attached goggles spoiled the balance on my Ms.  Preferred to use a regular 35mm lens.  Did not like using it on an M3 either - if I needed a 35, I'd either use one with an separate optical finder on the M3, or a different M that had 35mm frame lines.

Happily sold a 135 (goggled) - I forget the model name.  Just reinforced the knowledge that if you want to use a longer lens, an SLR is a much better tool.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
45 minutes ago, Vinncent said:

Knowing what I know now, if I had a v3 and I wanted more oomph to my images I would be looking to trade for a v4 or v5 summicron instead of getting the APO-Lanthar.

I started with an early V3 Summicron in 1968, and used it ever since. After I got an M9 I decided to see what a v5 would do on digital, so I added one. I find the v3 image is still quite close to the v5, but the newer design has more "snap" and detail at f2-f4 that is noticeable. By f5.6 I don't see much difference. The v5 made me realize how stiff the focusing had gotten on my old v3 due to dried grease, so I did a mechanical CLA on the helical mount, which made the old lens nicer to use.

These days I use the v3 on film (but a Nokton 1.5 ltm on my M5 where the size feels right), and usually use 2.5 Summarits (35 & 50) on my M10.

A new v5 Summicron is a treat for its build and quality, but at a high price for little improvement over a v3.

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Vinncent said:

If you require perfection then I guess that’s great. But that comes at the cost of the so called “character”. The more you correct a lens the more character you take out of it. And the APO-Lanthar is the most corrected lens VL has ever made. It’s almost character-less. The perfection of the image is what makes you forgive it. But once you get over it you’re left with a pile of images that are perfect no matter how much you open or close the lens. Every photo is the same but with more depth of field     Some people will actually benefit from the Perfection. Depends on what you shoot. Perfection sometimes is needed or maybe even required by some. So this lens could be your bread and butter.

you make a great point- I sell vintage cameras and when I sell an old Lomo, Diana or similar I label them "Instant Artist cameras". This is because heir (often plastic) lense are SO bad, light seals poor, etc, that the affects one gets on the photos arguably makes them more interesting than a clinically perfect image from a $10,000 lens. lees extreme but equally valid is the 'quality' of older Leica glass. The quirks of each lens add something different.

 

needless to say I have kept my summicron which really is perfect for my m10 and my uses- and I don't think I will ever part with it. If a cheap ultron pops up down the track I might grab it- though truth be told I am spoiled for M lenses and do not need it.

 

the Summicron does a fine job:

 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...