Who shoots only film?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I shoot film exclusively.  Mostly on a Leica M-A or M4, but I also have a couple of Nikon and Pentax SLRs that I use occasionally and a Hasselblad 500 CM for medium format.  I don't own a digital camera and the camera in my Google Pixel is broken ;) 

Practically i shoot only film, be it travelling or photo sessions for fun, well it is the fun that film matter, always have my MP and M2-R with Hasselblad 503cx 

i still have my digital M, just because i love having the new limited i could afford like the safari now replaced with a M10r black paint strictly for its looks, and i use my M digital to scanning film negatives

I shoot only film. I scan contact sheets and print in a darkroom. I love it this way. I don’t own any digital camera (sold a Nikon D810 long time ago after it started to accumulate dust). 

I simply love film and don’t feel like shooting anything else. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Similar to a previous poster, I’ve got a Ricoh GRiii and GRii for digital. They’re pocketable and there’s never a good reason not to take them out, unless the weather is terrible due to the lack of weather sealing. I do find they produce really nice photos with a great 28mm lens and close focus distance. 
The challenge I now face is the motivation to shoot the fantastic M2. I’ve also got an LC-A 120, which hasn’t been used yet, mainly due to the fact I haven’t mentioned it to my wife…

• Haha 1

Just now, IanH said:

I’m thinking about only taking the M2 on vacation later in the year. It may force me out of the digital convenience. 

I think Vacations are the perfect avenue for shooting 35mm film only. I have several film cameras (3 Leicas) plus 4 120 cameras Bronica and Yashica. I find when I go out to shoot film the 120 suits me better since I can use the whole film in one outing (usually) but if I take 35mm the film seems to take ages to finish or I just burn it to get to the ones I think were inportant. This is why I shoot more digital than 35mm for the convenience. For instance, this week gone I shot a roll of Portra 160 in my Bronica that I loaded and shot in the same day, I also shot 4 frames of digital with my M9s on a Saturday walk that I have processed already and shared one in the M9 Photos section. I also finished a roll of Tri-X 35mm that I loaded in my M2 back in November then swapped it to my MP in January and finally moved it into My Canon F1 to finish it for a project that ends this week. If I were on vacation I could use film happily and wait until I got back to see my results whilst enjoying the vacation so I think Holidays and Travel suit film, casual shooting suits digital. Sorry for the ramble.

• Thanks 1

Just film, an MP with 35mm and a Rolleiflex. Mostly black and white 400iso and home developing at night, while my kids are sleeping. I decided long time ago that documenting their childhood in film it's a nice gift I would let them when they are grown, instead of digital files.

Next step, darkroom printing, and forget about scanning And also looking for a Summilux, because I am finding shooting indoors with kids, I need that extra stop!)

• Like 2

When shooting for myself I prefer film. As convenient, flexible and technically perfect as digital can be, I often feel images just don’t have the weight, substance or presence (call it what you will) of photographs made on film.

For years I've been carrying a single M film body and lens everywhere. Also have more interest in medium format and exploring larger format film than the latest digital cameras.

23 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

I understand,

maybe, just suggestion not advice of course, try this ...now or a bit later 😉

M2 + good lens + b&w film + home processing can give more motivation while not managing children.

Thanks @a.noctilux. My 35mm summicron v2 is a good example and certainly capable. Compactness is of utmost importance to me and I find the images more interesting than my old V1 ASPH 35 ‘cron. Home development of B&W may well be the next step…

It’s a good point about airport scanners, I’ve been following the x-ray threads with interest. I’ll need to order a consignment of film to meet me at my destination and process prior to departure. It’ll be a joy taking the M2 on holiday! I did the same when I came to Australia for a trip 12 years ago now, I had a box full of Kodachrome for my m6. Good times. 

8 hours ago, david strachan said:

Noone has to justify film or digital.  

It's the results which count...either to yourself or others if you put out there.

Sometimes a crap picture can be enjoyed by yourself.

😇 I have thousands of crap pictures that I would not show,

I keep my crap pics on slides and even view them from time to time,

other crap pics with time got better status being "improved" by passing time, strange thing.

Best thing, I'm happy that I took those crap pics when I could.

3 minutes ago, IanH said:

Thanks @a.noctilux. My 35mm summicron v2 is a good example and certainly capable. Compactness is of utmost importance to me and I find the images more interesting than my old V1 ASPH 35 ‘cron. Home development of B&W may well be the next step…

It’s a good point about airport scanners, I’ve been following the x-ray threads with interest. I’ll need to order a consignment of film to meet me at my destination and process prior to departure. It’ll be a joy taking the M2 on holiday! I did the same when I came to Australia for a trip 12 years ago now, I had a box full of Kodachrome for my m6. Good times. 

Any chance we can see those Kodachrome ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have two M4-P's and a variety of Leitz lenses spanning 28mm to 90mm. I also have an M8.2 that I purchased several years ago to enable me to use those lenses for "client" work, meaning things that had to be done quickly and delivered digitally. 

I retired several years ago and have the time to work on my projects. I experimented with mixing analog and digital images, using the digital camera and Capture One to work with color images and the analog equipment for black and white. 

Turns out that most, if not all, of the images that I find myself using are analog--digitized as necessary.

I learned photography in high school, back in the 1970's. I used Nikon and Leica cameras since that time, and, until retiring have processed by own film; naturally, I am comfortable with analog process/workflow. In these last few years, I've become pretty good with scanning---after all, I needed to digitize many of those older images. If I need to do make digital images, I find very little difference in what gets made between using a quality consumer-grade camera (such as a Lumix), or even an iPhone for that matter. Yes, it's true that putting older glass on the M8.2, after swapping filters, taking the 1.3 crop factor into account, etc., makes nice images. But, color images made with any high-quality color film are just a good ... maybe better depending upon one's criteria.

Because I have the luxury of time and the freedom to create my own work, I most often use film.

• Like 3

On 3/18/2022 at 11:19 AM, adan said:

oversee both the creation of a new 1000-square-meter darkrooms/studio complex (yay!).

I need to confess to a gross math error in converting linear feet into square meters - the new darkroom/studio was 180 sq. meters (6m x 30m)

😳

• Haha 1