Who shoots only film?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Who shoots only film? Who is brave enough these days to have rid themselves of their digital cameras for film only? Willing to concede having a smartphone as an exception. This is how I usually shoot: My M-A only and an iPhone for quickies. I still have my M-P type 240. But I am thinking of getting rid of it (except that I love it so much).

Also trying to reconsider whether I need 5 lenses or less. But that might be a different discussion.

• Like 4

Well, in true medium-format I shoot only film. No 6x6 (or larger) sensors available - or ever likely to be. ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Don't have a smartphone either. ;);) 

• Like 13

After several attempts to embrace digital photography, it occurred to me the only thing the Sony A7II was being used for was to digitize negatives. Kept the fabulous FE90 2.8 Macro, sold off the other lenses, battery grips and brackets. Currently I’m down to two film cameras, a Retina IIa and a M4 both equipped with a Reveni meter (one came from the OP) and a whole lot of Double X and Tri X in the refrigerator. 

Edited by madNbad
  • Like 3

Yaa, I only use my Z7 to scan my film.  I even bought a 24-70 Z lens for it, thinking it would make me use it.  Nope..

I still have an M240, love it as a digital camera, but also never use it.  I do like it much more than the Z7 if that counts for anything!

• Like 3

I only use film for real photography. I have a Fuji X Pro 1 body with some adaptors just to quickly test lenses, but not for actual photography. Digital is so restrictive, you can only use your pictures on a computer. With film you can do all the things possible in a darkroom and if you need to put some pictures on a computer you can always scan the film or a print. I believe there is a digital enlarger to make darkroom prints from a digital projection, but I have not seen any details of it or heard from someone using it?

Anyone here making darkroom prints from digital negatives ?

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have three Leica M bodies, all film.  I don’t have any digital Leicas. If I want to take photos as an activity (because the act of photography is so enjoyable) I use my Leicas. 
I have a p&s digital to capture events and memories. Same outcome, different process. To me, a film camera is a “real” camera. I can’t conceive of a digital camera in that way. It’s a computer with a lens attached. I grew up with film, so I know I’m archaic in that way …

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mute-on said:

I have three Leica M bodies, all film.  I don’t have any digital Leicas. If I want to take photos as an activity (because the act of photography is so enjoyable) I use my Leicas. 
I have a p&s digital to capture events and memories. Same outcome, different process. To me, a film camera is a “real” camera. I can’t conceive of a digital camera in that way. It’s a computer with a lens attached. I grew up with film, so I know I’m archaic in that way …

Agree. I see a digital camera as a computer with a lens attached, and a Leica digital camera can’t be any better than any other digital camera. 90 year old Leica film cameras are in daily use, at least by me. I don’t think the world will see many or any 90 year old digital cameras being used in the year 2100.

Perhaps this forum should be 99% film oriented with a 1% corner tucked away somewhere for those interested in digital?

• Like 1

After having a Leica M262 for about 5 years I went back to shooting film only. Leica for 35mm and Rolleiflex for medium format. Using different film stocks is so much fun. I shoot b/w developing at home and slide film which I project. Scanning with a Canon RP but Dwayne's scanning service is great and I started using them to scan when they process my slide film.

• Like 1

95% of my photos are with film cameras, either Leica, Nikon, or medium format cameras of various types. I have a few 4x5 cameras as well. An Olympus 35RC, XA, or Ricoh GR1 are my pocket cameras that I carry everyday. My biggest problem is in having too many cameras loaded with film. I have a Z7 that's used for scanning my film, and an M10, both great cameras and I wouldn't say I couldn't use them but I just don't feel bonded with them creatively. 

• Like 2

A lot of my decision came down to weight. For a short time I had a Nikon Df, which produced a very nice image, it was used almost exclusively with Ai-S lenses. I tried a Tamron 15 to 30 zoom. Even with the seatbelt sized Peak Design strap it felt like carrying a cinderblock around. The Sony and the Loxia lenses were better but because of the miserable battery life, a battery grip was necessary. Not quite a cinderblock, more like a pile of bricks. This outweighed, literally, the advantage of high ISO, the ability to capture almost unlimited images not to mention a number of metering modes or programs. The other day, I was at a local park with the M4. I was talking with a young woman who was using her fathers Canon 5D and a zoom lens. The first thing she commented on was how heavy it was compared to the K1000 she normally used.

The other part is feeling involved with making the image. The owner of a local repair shop has his joke about the lazy persons guide to photography: Auto Exposure, Auto ISO, wander around until the card is full, delete all but the three actually good images. I like metering the scene and learning how the film preforms with different filters or changes in development. I'm not under a deadline and I don't need hundreds of images a day. I do it for enjoyment and that's the best reason I can think of.

8 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

Digital is so restrictive, you can only use your pictures on a computer.

Hunh?

Not that it detracts in any way from shooting film (in fact I think it enhances film), but I print my digital pictures right alongside my film pictures. Because I scan my film, myself, to digital, and have ever since about 1994.

My book above uses scans (like most other photographic books/publications produced in the past 35 years or more).

I've sold thousands of dollars worth of archival-pigment inkjet prints (in both B&W and color, up to A2 size) from both film and digital originals. With current double-weight, fiber-based, archival, eggshell-gloss inkjet papers, and 1440/2880-dpi 8-ink printers, they look beautiful - Ilford Galerie FB without the curl and drying time. Or in color, like dye-transfer prints from Kodachromes.

it's simply ADA (analog-digital-analog) conversion. Like digitally-remastered vinyl records.

It could be because I was "present at the creation" of ADA photographic reproduction, through working at newspapers since 1985. I watched (and learned) the whole development (hah!) of the process. My job in 1991-93, as Managing Editor of Photographers and Artists at The San Juan Star newspaper (Puerto Rico), was partly to oversee both the creation of a new 1000-square-meter darkrooms/studio complex (yay!). And the replacement of the antique analog color-separation/half-toning darkroom (which required 15 hours lead time to get from undeveloped slide film to printing plates) with a color-neg/scan/imagesetter process that took 80 minutes from camera to plate (assuming the laser imagesetter didn't jam ;) ).

I adopted it for my own work almost immediately (as soon as I could afford my own Nikon Coolscan) because I could see the writing on the wall, especially for color. Even with the cheesy 4-ink 300-dpi dye-ink printers of the era.

I do know someone who makes enlarged negs from digital. But mostly for contact-printing with "alternative" processes like platinum prints.

(That's my "1% digital" contribution here for the year. ;) )

• Like 6

I just posted about this on my Instagram. I was a hardcore Fuji digital photographer, and since I got my Leica MP and an iPhone 13 Pro, the iPhone has entirely replaced my Fuji for digital, and for “high quality images”, I only shoot the Leica MP with either HP5 or Portra 400. An example of the iPhone’s images shows just how filmic they can look:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbNHQpII40v/?utm_medium=copy_link

but other than the iPhone, yes: fully film for me, and I cannot see myself going back any time soon.

• Like 1

There's room in my life for both film and digital. Edited by Topsy
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Topsy said:

There's room in my life for both film and digital

Time to pack up the M2 and send it to Shintaro so it fits in with the rest of the bunch.😉

Edited by madNbad
  • Haha 2