LTM 5cm: Elmar f/3.5 and Summicron collapsible

Advertisement (gone after registration)

An update on the Summitar - optically it appears excellent - I tried it out on my SL for a quick check. A bit soft and 'glowing' at f/2, but improves by f/2.8, and is at a crisp best at f/4.
Focus is very smooth. The aperture ring is very uneven and stiff. I shall send it off to be sorted, and have the light haze removed if possible.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

An update on the Summitar - optically it appears excellent - I tried it out on my SL for a quick check. A bit soft and 'glowing' at f/2, but improves by f/2.8, and is at a crisp best at f/4.
Focus is very smooth. The aperture ring is very uneven and stiff. I shall send it off to be sorted, and have the light haze removed if possible.

I have two Summitars (1 in feet and 1 in metres) and both have that uneven/stiff aperture ring problem. Both perform very well though.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

After finding a nice 111 on Ebay I search for an Elmar 50mm and found one on 10 June, this is a crop of about 15% - centre of frame taken on a MM246 to test the lens out, a little soft but that can be corrected in lightroom - not so bad for a 86 year old!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

On 4/6/2022 at 2:03 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

I have found the Summitar to be quite sharp  mostly in the center and it becomes a little out of focus around the edges wide open. Most of your problems, as far as optical is concerned, is that haze. Once you have that haze removed from your optics, you will see that that  obstruction is a big part of your sharpness, clarity and low contrast problem. Here are a couple of shots that were done with the Summitar shot wide open at f2, using the Sony A7 camera with an adapter.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, gradycarter said:

I have found the Summitar to be quite sharp  mostly in the center and it becomes a little out of focus around the edges wide open. Most of your problems, as far as optical is concerned, is that haze. Once you have that haze removed from your optics, you will see that that  obstruction is a big part of your sharpness, clarity and low contrast problem. Here are a couple of shots that were done with the Summitar shot wide open at f2, using the Sony A7 camera with an adapter.

Thanks! I did send it off mainly to get the aperture ring sorted. It went to Malcolm Taylor (well known UK repairer) along with a Leica II(D) and Elmar. He fixed everything except the haze (pressure of other work), but promised to take it back later in the year to remove the haze. I have run a couple of films through it and I'm very impressed with the sharpness. the haze is not that bad, so I'm happy enough to wait.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1