LTM 5cm: Elmar f/3.5 and Summicron collapsible

30 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Paul, that is a nice lateral move with Summitar.

Nice lens maybe, but finding filters (if you want to use them ) with this odd size E36,5 would be "fun" ( SNHOO ?)

Hmm, yes, I see!
I'll be looking for a yellow and/or orange at least.

On 3/17/2022 at 9:11 AM, oldwino said:

I have a sample size of one...but, my collapsible Summicron was pretty glowy at f2, very good at f2.8 and excellent from f4. My Elmar (uncoated) needs to be stopped down to f4.5-6.3 to show its best. 

I also had a rigid Summicron that beat the collapsible by one stop. But again, a sample size of "1". 

I think a lot depends on the copy.

I think everything depends on how good the conditions of the lens using the light test of shining it through one end of the lens while viewing it through the other end. Without that light test, you may think that the glass is clear, when in reality it is not. I take reviews of vintage lenses with a grain of salt because images of very low  contrast and muddy sharpness are usually the results of fog, haze, separation and abundant lens scratches. After all, the lenses of the collapsibles are very soft..!!!

I have a black paint copy which looks to be clear in all regards. I’ve never felt that I've been missing out by not having red paint, but such is Leica lore that even poor correlations between image performance and lens/reputation take on a well worn certainty.

I think I was lucky to find my copy paired with a Barnack; the dealer thought they had been paired since first sold. Hasn’t had too much use of late because the rangefinder patch on the Barnack is so difficult to use that it’s become a shelf queen in favour of my M3 and M4. If the Barnack rangefinder could be made useable, it would be a great pairing. 

I’ve had good results with this lens, even wide open, the images have a very comfortable feel to them. This thread reminds me that I might like to use this lens more often, perhaps zone focussed on the Barnack or with an adapter to something else. 

I’ve not had an opportunity to use the ‘cron so you’ve given me a bit of GAS

Edited by Mr.Prime

If your RF patch on the Barnack is hard to use, I suggest you consider having a repairperson look at it for cleaning/mirror/prism replacement. One in good condition has very good contrast, magnification which significantly increases focus accuracy, and the wonderful diopter adjustment for those of us whose eyes aren't quite up to snuff.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr.Prime said:

I think I was lucky to find my copy paired with a Barnack; the dealer thought they had been paired since first sold. Hasn’t had too much use of late because the rangefinder patch on the Barnack is so difficult to use that it’s become a shelf queen in favour of my M3 and M4. If the Barnack rangefinder could be made useable, it would be a great pairing.

Like spydrxx says, it can be fixed and it makes a huge difference. Alan Starkie of www.cameraworks-uk.com will replace the beamsplitter mirror as part of a standard service, and I'm sure other good technicians can do this.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/19/2022 at 12:18 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

Hmm, yes, I see!
I'll be looking for a yellow and/or orange at least.

The SNHOO copies work pretty well. I think their availability has kept the price of the (rare) original down too - I picked up a Leitz SNHOO for about £60 last year, which is only as silly as many other Leica accessories, and about half the price of the much more common A36 SOOGZ these days. An original SNHOO turns up on ebay every few months, and the copies are always available. As well as E39 filters, the SNHOO lets you use generic hoods rather than the spectacular foldable barn door contraption that Leitz intended, the SOOPD, known for frightening horses and small children. For maximum steampunk effect, fit this and a NOOKY-HESUM closeup device...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

The SNHOO copies work pretty well. I think their availability has kept the price of the (rare) original down too - I picked up a Leitz SNHOO for about £60 last year, which is only as silly as many other Leica accessories, and about half the price of the much more common A36 SOOGZ these days. An original SNHOO turns up on ebay every few months, and the copies are always available. As well as E39 filters, the SNHOO lets you use generic hoods rather than the spectacular foldable barn door contraption that Leitz intended, the SOOPD, known for frightening horses and small children. For maximum steampunk effect, fit this and a NOOKY-HESUM closeup device...

And perhaps a turret finder......

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

And perhaps a turret finder......

Better than a turret finder is the Tewe zoom design. Again I have two, one goes from 35mm to 135mm, the other goes upto 200mm.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

On 3/18/2022 at 5:58 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

So I went out for dinner this evening, drank a prosecco and two large glasses of red wine, came home and bought a supposedly pristine Summitar on ebay. I hope I don't regret it.

Next time you have a few glasses of wine you might also consider looking at the Hektor f2.5  It is similar in form factor to the Elmar, but gives you an extra stop of light.   Btw, I have a collapsable Summicron and think it is great at f2.    I'm sure the Summitar will be just fine too.  

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 9:58 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

So I went out for dinner this evening, drank a prosecco and two large glasses of red wine, came home and bought a supposedly pristine Summitar on ebay. I hope I don't regret it.

It's just arrived - gorgeous physical and apparent optical condition. No visible glass scratches (it comes with a matching UV filter); some haze (as stated by the seller) which I will get cleaned at some stage.
I must drink and buy more often.

• Like 3

Am 20.3.2022 um 15:11 schrieb Mr.Prime:

I have a black paint copy ...

Those black paint Elmar lenses are very rare (they came with the Leica IIIf and IIIg cameras made specifically for the Swedish Army). Or are you merely referring to the black paint of the DOF scale?

Yup

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Arriving late to the party, but in my experience:

- Yes, with old lenses, state usually is more important than any other factor.

- AFAIK, yes, the Red Scale was recomputed. Personally where I've seen more improvement is shorter distances (in fact, I've used it for reproduction with very good results). But that's not a scientific test, just my observation.

- As I was reading the initial posts of thread, I was thinking on the Summitar. In my opinion, it's a quite good lens and I like the way it renders (specially the coated samples) much more than my collapsible Summicron (both in clean condition).

So congratulations for your new Summitar, even when I'm afraid that it will not prevent you from trying a Summicron 🙂.

Best wishes,

Augusto

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tranquilo67 said:

Arriving late to the party, but in my experience:

- Yes, with old lenses, state usually is more important than any other factor.

- AFAIK, yes, the Red Scale was recomputed. Personally where I've seen more improvement is shorter distances (in fact, I've used it for reproduction with very good results). But that's not a scientific test, just my observation.

- As I was reading the initial posts of thread, I was thinking on the Summitar. In my opinion, it's a quite good lens and I like the way it renders (specially the coated samples) much more than my collapsible Summicron (both in clean condition).

So congratulations for your new Summitar, even when I'm afraid that it will not prevent you from trying a Summicron 🙂.

Best wishes,

Augusto

Thank you! I have decided to stick with what I have for the moment - I need to learn how these lenses behave before adding to them - if at all. I want to use them for real world photography rather than lens testing. I may look at others later!