When to use M10 vs M-A?

CookedPancake

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a used M10, and since then I have been shooting nearly all of my memories with it. I also do have an M-A, and while I do love shooting with film and the process of self developing— I do enjoy the convenience of being able to view my photos instantly. I am to wondering which medium you all prefer. 

When and why would you shoot film vs digital? 

I rarely shoot film these days and then it's only for the nostalgia of using it.  Sometimes I'll use the Hasselblad 2 and1/4 just to remind me of times past.  And even then I'll scan the negatives because printing is just too much hassle.  Same with my nikon f2 and f3.  The new digital cameras are just too easy and quick to adjust the output for printing.  Times and technology changes and we must go with it or be left behind.  In short, don't forget the past or disregard the future. It's all up to what you want to do. Enjoy your experiences in photography.

• Like 1

I dunno. This seems a question of workflow and personal preference. I own an old M8.2 which I have used less this year than last.  But I grew up with film and am comfortable with the workflow--even in an increasing digital delivery space. I'm seriously considering selling the M8.2 and trying to purchase another Leitz lens or maybe an M-A should either of these two M4-P workhorses ever give up the ghost.

Of course, if I were still working and needed to make deadlines, then I'd use the appropriate technology---and that's why it's called a "job."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Siriusone59 said:

I rarely shoot film these days and then it's only for the nostalgia of using it.  Sometimes I'll use the Hasselblad 2 and1/4 just to remind me of times past.  And even then I'll scan the negatives because printing is just too much hassle.  Same with my nikon f2 and f3.  The new digital cameras are just too easy and quick to adjust the output for printing.  Times and technology changes and we must go with it or be left behind.  In short, don't forget the past or disregard the future. It's all up to what you want to do. Enjoy your experiences in photography.

That statement highlighted in red, in the context of this thread and the art and craft of photography, is absolute unadulterated nonsense.

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I've had my M10 a long time now (after a string of other digital M's) but in the last two or three years I don't think I've used it more than a couple of times. That said I don't think I've used my MP that much either in the scheme of things, many times I've chosen another film Leica M or a film Nikon, or more importantly a medium format film camera. Film is a fine creative medium without the soul sapping bland clinical look of digital. There are many levels to think about from choice of film and developer to crafting the final image, and the image becomes a personal vision and not a reproduction of how boffins at Leica wrote the code.

The idea that film is somehow nostalgic (post #3) is as absurd as saying artists who still use brushes are doing it to be nostalgic, just because an idea is old it doesn't make it bad, after all we still have wheels on our cars. As for the speed of digital photography I've not found things in a creative life are done better if done faster. And as for the quantity and quality possible with digital imagery generally speaking in many cases it's a bit like making your Big Mac meal 'large', you just get more fries, and one fry looks a lot like all the others. Mmm, hungry now.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

That statement highlighted in red, in the context of this thread and the art and craft of photography, is absolute unadulterated nonsense.

"Times and technologies changes [sic]" ... And so?  Too many buy into this "technological myth" that the tool can make up for a lack of vision, application, persistence, and just dumb luck that anyone who spends any time making ANYTHING valuable must expend.

Often, owning the latest, greatest, and most sophisticated tools requires a substantial commitment of time and energy in order to learn how to use them; and this means less time and energy available for making the thing. But we don't want to be "left behind." And we won't: we'll ride the crest of that wave that takes us back out to the sea of constant yearning but never producing anything. Adrift, searching for that next big technological breakthrough that will allow me to effortlessly create that opus that astounds the audience that somehow magically appeared without me having to cultivate it, and it will be a timeless work of  .... etc.

That said, manufacturers of cameras and associated software products profits depend on large segments of the public accepting the idea that they can "create" anything significant merely through the acquisition of their product(s) ... or, in the contrapositive: without their product(s)  (camera, software, scanner, etc.,) one cannot make a good photograph, compose a great piece of music, write a great book, ... etc. Certainly, the history of western civilization has shown otherwise.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have an M-P 240 and an M-A.

I use the M-A for personal stuff where I think I am an artist; B/W only.

I use the M-P 240 for paid work; Color.

Lenses? Of course, they are interchangeable, so all good there.

52 minutes ago, kivis said:

Is it my eyes? Or does everyone else find this font impossible to read.

Over the last 10 years I did take several attemps to shoot film (again) more often.

In the end it lastet 1 or 2 rolls of film until I got back to digital, eventhough I really like the look of film.

Why? Flexibility regarding changing ISO without having to change a film, looking at images same day, I also seem too lazy to give film away for development, and when I do it myself (b&W) I do it so seldom that chemicals need to be replaced each time. More difficult to store the images...

So I love film but I am too lazy to go for it. Thats why I finally decided that I am a digital photographer, even if I keep some film cameras. 

• Like 2