Contax 645 - still worth the price tag?

jonnyboy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What's your thoughts on the Contax 645? Any owner here?

I have been fantasising to get one for a couple of months now but it's quite an expensive purchase soooo i'm really holding into it...I read that because there isn't anymore repairs for the camera a lot of them they going for sale - I wouldn't think there are a lot in the market but still...

I currently shoot my medium format with an Hasselblad 500cm with 80mm - love the camera but sometimes really hard to work with - and quite easy to make mistakes. I'm a huge fan of the Contax G cameras so I thought the medium format version it's something I must try - any thoughts in here?

I never tried the camera nor seen it in real life...but, when I look at those images from the Zeiss 80mm F2 it blows my mind....

Edited by jonnyboy
error

I used to use this camera. Superb machine, but as you say no support and Contax are gone too. Personally I wouldn't buy one today although out of all the medium format cameras I owned it was certainly my favourite.

• Like 1

First, let me say I do not own or have used a Contax 45. I did consider buying one at one point. They are not cheap. And before you buy one, make sure you know and possible have spoken to a repair technician. That person might be able to give you insights on what to look for. Any camera that was used professionally has usually been used quite a lot and may need more attention than a shelf queen. Parts and service may or may not be readily available, always a concern with an older camera, even more of a concern with an orphan camera--one that is no longer being manufactured or has any type of factory support.