Jump to content

M4 Problem


Recommended Posts

On 3/20/2022 at 5:39 PM, a.noctilux said:

@LukaT

had you figured out the mysteries ?

Hey, thanks for the concern. I had shot a roll for Tri-X on Sunday and developed it myself (first one).

On 50mm lens everything is normal, there is no darkening like on the 35. I will have to do another roll with the 35 and develop it myself to determine weather the darkening was lab error or the problem persists on wider lenses. I will keep you posted :)

In the meanwhile I attach a few shots from my first developed roll. I had a lot of dust issue, but nothing that spot healing brush cant fix ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LukaT said:

Hey, thanks for the concern. I had shot a roll for Tri-X on Sunday and developed it myself (first one).

On 50mm lens everything is normal, there is no darkening like on the 35. I will have to do another roll with the 35 and develop it myself to determine weather the darkening was lab error or the problem persists on wider lenses. I will keep you posted :)

In the meanwhile I attach a few shots from my first developed roll. I had a lot of dust issue, but nothing that spot healing brush cant fix ;)

Love the first pic!  Great set.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A little update on the situation. 

I did a roll of portra 400 (developed it in another lab) and a roll of tri-x 400 (developed it myself). There was no darkening on a single photo. Which means it must have been processing error from the first lab that i had used.

Thanks for helping me everyone :)  I attach a few shots that I shot on Saturday. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just seen this shading issue with my Md-A, and remembered that I have seen this before with my Nikon F2 and D750.

It is a combination of the lens used and the exact 'wrong' angle of light coming through.  On this roll of film I just developed myself, it occurred on three shots out of 38 on the roll, using a Wtulens 17mm f16.  With the Nikons it happened using a 40mm lens.

Nothing wrong with the camera, or the lens.  Just sometimes (rarely) this combo CAN create an issue.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly the same issue happened to me a while ago when developing my own negatives. I didn't fill the development tank high enough with fluid - the top part of all my film negatives was less well developed than the rest of negatives. It is likely that not enough developer came in touch with the upper part of the film reel. I never invert the tank and only rotate the reel - otherwise the film would have had likely more sufficient coverage with fluid. 

After I scanned the negatives, I simply cropped the upper part of the photo and a bit on the side to keep the ratio consistent. Also not ideal, but it worked out well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Martin B said:

Exactly the same issue happened to me a while ago when developing my own negatives. I didn't fill the development tank high enough with fluid - the top part of all my film negatives was less well developed than the rest of negatives. It is likely that not enough developer came in touch with the upper part of the film reel. I never invert the tank and only rotate the reel - otherwise the film would have had likely more sufficient coverage with fluid. 

After I scanned the negatives, I simply cropped the upper part of the photo and a bit on the side to keep the ratio consistent. Also not ideal, but it worked out well. 

That is the case if you see the shading on every image on the entire roll of film.  When it is only a couple of images, it has nothing to do with developing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Luka! 

Wow, I was just scrolling through these channels and didn't expect to find the exact same problem that also occured to me in March - also with a M4. During a long weekend I shot three colour films (Fuji and Kodak) in my M4. Of course, I had them all developed at the same lab. I also got these random dark lines at the top of about 5 images per roll. The lens I used was the Voigtländer Color Skopar 35mm 2.5. 
My M4 looks good - I really hope, it is, like in your case, a developing issue. It's nice to read that I am not the only one facing this issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, till_he said:

Hi Luka! 

Wow, I was just scrolling through these channels and didn't expect to find the exact same problem that also occured to me in March - also with a M4. During a long weekend I shot three colour films (Fuji and Kodak) in my M4. Of course, I had them all developed at the same lab. I also got these random dark lines at the top of about 5 images per roll. The lens I used was the Voigtländer Color Skopar 35mm 2.5. 
My M4 looks good - I really hope, it is, like in your case, a developing issue. It's nice to read that I am not the only one facing this issue.

Hi, I have developed about 10 bnw rolls myself since then and a few color at another lab. No issues :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@LukaT, glad this got resolved.  

Note that many labs use large machines to develop negatives and they may go through a process as a long strip, not a wound strip in a tank.  This means a problem in the machine can cause bad development on a few frames but not the whole role.  Consistent development problems only show up on an entire roll when using a tank and reel.

So glad it is not the camera!

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

@LukaT - maybe this is interesting to you or someone else who reads this post: I have tried another film and have had it developed at another lab (same settings, same lens) - I got my scans back with these dark stripes again:

Does anyone have another idea as it is not the lab obviously? Could it be the hood?🧐 I also thought about the problem maybe not being the dark stripe, but all the rest of the frames (light leak)?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Not light leak for sure

maybe this ?

 

@adan explained in a thread

sensor or film though

 

 

see this thread also

 

Edited by a.noctilux
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...