SL2S AUTOFOCUS FOR ANIMALS WITH 90-280

Jox

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

The SL2S/90-280 set is very pleasant, with really pleasant renderings even in fairly low light, very much in the spirit of those of the R APOs such as 180F2.8 APO (doubled APO or not) for example.
Back to autofocus after a long time without it, I tried a lot of programming possibilities but I must not be at the top for a particular application: birds in flight at medium distance.

I'm at
- "AFc" focus mode
- "Pursuit" AF mode
- "Wild Animals" AF Profile / Focus 0 / Lateral Movement +1 / Direction Change +2

In fact, even there, I can't find the responsiveness of my very old Nikon D2x/70-200F2.8!
I would be very interested in sharing experience on this point.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for your answers.

It's still hard to admit that with this lens, and its 2 competition AF motors (according to Leica), we are so far from what we can get elsewhere!
Indeed, I am sometimes more efficient with my R 180mm F2.8 APO and its x2 APO converter!!!

(The use of 90-280 is frankly not practical)

Well, that said, for the moment I use this set for BIF. So I'm very interested in advice in autofocus programming.

Sorry for my bad English !

No need to apologise. This is an international forum, many non-native speakers around here like myself.

You cannot programme the Leica AF to become a Sony or Canon AF monster. Leica hadn't sports, wildlife or birds in flight in particular in their mind when they designed the SL line. Contrary to Sony, Canon and Nikon, which have professional cameras and lenses in their portfolio precisely for this job. 

Neither is the Leica's AF up to the task nor do they have a proper telephoto lens of 500-600mm in their range for these kinds of shots. But you can try manual focus like in the old days. With some training and magnification, you'll be surprised how well that can work, especially in burst mode. But it will never be competitive to what the Japanese Big Three have on offer.

Thank you for your directions.

Indeed, the burst with my 180x2 APO R gave me beautiful images; but it's a pity that Leica deprives itself of categories of photographers with its "strategic" choices (a high-performance autofocus would not harm the brand's magnificent renderings).

A small question of language: B.I.F., it is the abbreviation of what?

(here, today, we could think of "Bird In Flight" ;) )

On 3/16/2022 at 10:57 AM, Jox said:

Thank you for your directions.

Indeed, the burst with my 180x2 APO R gave me beautiful images; but it's a pity that Leica deprives itself of categories of photographers with its "strategic" choices (a high-performance autofocus would not harm the brand's magnificent renderings).

A small question of language: B.I.F., it is the abbreviation of what?

(here, today, we could think of "Bird In Flight" ;) )

The Statigic choice was hooking up with Panasonic, it's a pity they didn't hook up with Canon when both where up against Sony in this space. Canon's Animal AF is probably up there with the best now. And for non Wild life can't help but think the 28-70 F2.0 seems more Leica then Sigma's 24-70 2.8.  RF mount is also a large mount taking a leaf out of Leica's development of the L mount. And I don't know RF mount. If ever there were two letters Leica users can relate to and the fun we'd of had. No the RF mount alliance isn't for the Range Finder cameras, that's the M. Its for the SL cameras. 

I like the SL system a lot and also own the 90-280, but even with latest AF improvements it is not up to fast Canons or Nikons or Sony.

I dint shoot BIF but some sports with the Leica combo. It was ok but needs patience and luck.

I now use a Canon R5 with a 7020/2.8 (very compact and light and optically really good) for sports and action, and might add a 100-500 for more reach.

I still hope the SL3 will catch up and I might be able to sell my Canon again one day.

On the other hand I am sure with some patience one will also get beautiful wildlife images with the SL2, it is just harder in regards of Focus etc.

Photoworks & Frame-it,  Sometimes, I send Personal Messages to forum members that might help resolve their issues or personal in nature.  I don't care to clutter up a thread(s) with my comments that might derail the topic.  In this case, I informed the member of two most outstanding wildlife photographers in the forum (Tritentrue and Michali) and suggested he contact them for addiitional thoughts and ideas.  r/ Mark

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello,
Thank you all for your suggestions.
With the nice contacts on this thread and with the very interesting informations concentrated on my precise question in PM, I was able to test and get a good idea of the most suitable settings and also of the limits of the SL system in the area mentioned.
Basically, the autofocus of the SL2S/90-280 is very precise and stable once the target is added, but the grip is laborious, ok.
Well, given the quality of the rendering obtained when the sharpness is there, we forgive;)
Thank you again and beautiful images to all,
Jox

• Like 1