I'm surprisingly impressed by... the M11 Handgrip

cbgrey

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When the Leica store rep asked "do you want any accessories" when buying the M11 I thought why not try out the handgrip. What's another $400 after $9000 (ouch). 

I'm surprised to find I really like it. It doesn't add much weight...adds a bit more grip...protects the bottom of the camera and has an integrated tripod mount. 

It's criminal it costs as much as it does but...oh, well. Leica. 

(Just sharing my thoughts if anyone else is considering one)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, tkei said:

Good point on protecting the bottom of the camera. I was thinking of getting the thumb support, as I have one on my Q2 and really like it, but think the handgrip would be better for the M11

There are also some great half cases from Artedimano and Oberwerth, which offer more complete protection and nicer haptics (leather) vs. the Leica grip. I would go with the grip, but then very likely so, if you ever intend to shoot on a tripod

1 hour ago, mzbe said:

There are also some great half cases from Artedimano and Oberwerth, which offer more complete protection and nicer haptics (leather) vs. the Leica grip. I would go with the grip, but then very likely so, if you ever intend to shoot on a tripod

I love the Arte Di Mano cases and there may be one in my future but for now I’ll try the hand grip for a bit. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been using the Arte de Mano cases for years. They are far better than everything else as to fit, and they are thin, not bulky and loose They really do become part of the camera. I've even used one on my Sony RX1II and my Fuji X100V. I'm choking on the $600 price for this one.

I resisted the Leica grip for years until the M11. Great grip! We'll see how I like using it come hot weather and sweaty hands. That is one time I really enjoy the leather.

Edited by Rob L
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob L said:

I've been using the Arte de Mano cases for years. They are far better than everything else as to fit, and they are thin, not bulky and loose They really do become part of the camera. I've even used one on my Sony RX1II and my Fuji X100V. I'm choking on the $600 price for this one.

I resisted the Leica grip for years until the M11. Great grip! We'll see how I like using it come hot weather and sweaty hands. That is one time I really enjoy the leather.

As a Florida resident, heat is an important consideration for me! Maybe that's the justification I'll need for the Arte de Mano come July :)

21 hours ago, tkei said:

Good point on protecting the bottom of the camera. I was thinking of getting the thumb support, as I have one on my Q2 and really like it, but think the handgrip would be better for the M11

I used the Tumbs Up on my M10. Liked it a lot but it was a drag to lose it when using the Visoflex or (rarely) a flash. I actually like the feel/balance with the grip better than I did the thumb support. YMMV. 

• Like 2

On 3/13/2022 at 5:45 PM, elmars said:

Especially with a Noctilux it is worth every penny. And I love the Arca Swiss compatibility.

the Arca swiss compatibility it is a nice plus, but i would rather use an L-plate any day for tripod shots