Leica SL2 DNG files import to Lightroom with BW preset form camera?

iczek

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

Maybe I am missing something but I would like to import the DNG files from my SL2 to lightroom with BW settings from camera. Surely, I have the BW files in JPG (as I do JPG+RAW) but is there an option during import to keep the BW files for DNG as well?

II used to do that with my Canon 6DMkII and during the import to lightroom I could keep the RAW files in BW as well, so the camera settings for BW process are imported to LR automatically. Is it possible tieh DNG files from SL2?

My problem is that the JPG files are very well processed in BW and I could not repeat it with my DNG process in lightroom :)

• Thanks 1

The DNG files are just raw files – the camera records the individual values of of the filtered pixels. The de-mosaicing of the data by LR, or ACR, creates the colour images. You can then adjust the images to your taste, including converting them into black and white. The jpg created in the camera is the raw data converted to a b&w image. That b&w image is still an rgb file with all the values of r, g, and b equal. The only b&w DNG is that of a monochrome camera.

It may be a bit of a learning curve, but it should be easy enough to process your DNG and keep comparing the result with the imported jpg.

On 3/13/2022 at 10:39 PM, Jean-Michel said:

The DNG files are just raw files – the camera records the individual values of of the filtered pixels. The de-mosaicing of the data by LR, or ACR, creates the colour images. You can then adjust the images to your taste, including converting them into black and white. The jpg created in the camera is the raw data converted to a b&w image. That b&w image is still an rgb file with all the values of r, g, and b equal. The only b&w DNG is that of a monochrome camera.

It may be a bit of a learning curve, but it should be easy enough to process your DNG and keep comparing the result with the imported jpg.

Thanks. As I know more or less how the RAW works, the problem is now is it possible that RAW files imported to Lightroom from my Canon shows up in BW with presets used in camera and these from Leica don’t :)?

31 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

There is a program that can extract the DNG camera profile and use it in Lightroom and the results are very close to the BW of the camera DNG.

You still need to set Lightroom or camera raw to BW, but you can do that as a preset during import .

dcpTool  https://www.mcguffogco.com/dcptoolmac.html

That could be great solution for me! Thanks!