Workflow for APS, split thread

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, adan said:

KInda off the topic of the fate of the CL - but .DNG is not exclusively a "raw" format.

My Vuescan will save a color 8-bit, not-Bayer-mosaic, linear-CCD-array, scan as a .DNG instead of a .TIFF or .JPG, if I choose (and I do).

My understanding (extremely simplified) in that .DNG is a variant of a TIFF (Tag Image File Format), in which the metadata "Tags" can "define" a variety of things, including "This is a Bayer image that must be demosaiced - this is a 16-bit file - a .jpg preview is included (or not) - the camera shot this ("As Shot") using WB 4875°K/tint -23, etc." - but do not have to.

The fact it is controlled with the metadata tags and is an flexible "open standard" does mean that the process of .DNG creation can been somewhat variable across software providers (Leica in-camera, Adobe, Topaz, Vuescan, etc.) The only consistency is that Adobe software should always read .DNGs.

See also dewittehd's comment above - a .DNG incorporates the processing slider settings (the .xmp data) right into the .DNG metadata with each save and change. Whereas Adobe will create separate side-car .xmp files for formats like Nikon .NEF or Canon .CR2

From one of the links below: "DNG is an extension of TIFF/EP standard format and uses metadata significantly."

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/file-types/image/comparison/dng-vs-raw.html

https://docs.fileformat.com/image/dng/

Additionally (to Jaap's point above) a .DNG file, once opened and saved by Adobe software (at least), will re-compress the data according to an Adobe algorithm. My Leica M digital files (originally compressed by a Leica algorithm in the camera) usually decrease in size by 5-10% or so the first time they are opened and saved by Adobe Camera Raw, as ACR recompresses them (one time) using Adobe's algorithm(s).

Too late! This sub-thread has been excised and moved!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Too late! This sub-thread has been excised and moved!

So long as you read it, the important audience has been reached. ;)

I will note that a "Vuescan" film-scan .DNG is, somewhat like your Topaz .DNGs, not quite as fully-flexible as a true raw-sensor-data .DNG, even processed through Adobe Camera Raw + Photoshop.

Notably the "shadow tint" slider (green/magenta) does almost nothing to the images when trying to subdue the occasional hyper-blue shadows of Kodak ProImage or Ektar 100.

(I guess that doesn't have much to do with "workflow for APS" - unless I dig out some of my wife's old Leica C11 APS-film negs to scan. ;) )

https://camerapedia.fandom.com/wiki/Leica_C11

• Like 1

Approx 15 MB JPGs. I see no reason to save TIFF or PSD - those formats have other functions. No printer needs TIFFs and PSD is an interim format, not meant for archiving. 
I really fail to see the problem. A even more efficient and integrated workflow is to use "edit in Photoshop", use the Topaz plugin of your choice, revert to LR and carry on as you always do, including exporting at the end. No saving of files or use of disk space involved at all.