Importing images

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings

I am importing images directly into my iPad Pro linked via cable from the camera directly into lightroom.

I have been successful but I am confused by the following:

The camera is set to backup from SD card to internal memory, so when I see the images in the importing screen I see them double.

If I select ALL Lightroom imports only one copy of each image, which is correct procedure if a bit slow.

Now when I select delete ALL: does it delete both storages or only the ones imported?

The other way would be to import with a SD card reader which is probably faster... But the question then would be:

Once copied the images from the SD card and deleted them, how do I delete the remaining copies in the internal storage?

Thank you for your help.

Alex

www.durini.com

Edited by mustafasoleiman

Lightroom on the iPad is a PITA when it comes to file management. I REALLY dislike that Adobe won't just put LR CC on the iPad and they FORCE us to us the cloud version. It's absolutely horrible when travelling. Here's what happens.

1. You copy your images to your iPad storage from your camera or a card reader. LR will not work with these files and they are independant of LR. So LR will not delete them. If this is your only backup you're a crazy person. I NEVER delete files off a card until I have 2 copies at home. 256GB cards are cheap. Hopefully the M11-P will have enough storage to make it really useful. For now I'll keep all files on the card and copy from the internal memory to an external device and then format the internal for the next days shooting. Then I have two copies of everything.

2. When you import into LR it will COPY the files you choose into the LR library at full size. If you delete any of these files LR will not delete the files in step 1 above.

3. As soon as you have an internet connection LR will try and upload the files in step 2 to the cloud. It will then delete the large files in step 2 and replace them with sidecar files, which are a reduced size version of the file. Again files in step 1 will still be intact on your iPad. The idea is you work on the sidecar files and when you want to export, LR goes to the cloud and uses the full sized file to create the export. Some small exports can be done off the side car file.

4. If you don't have enough Adobe space or you turn sync off step 3 will pause or fail. You can still work on files on your iPad fine but you can't then sync them with Lr or LR CC on your home computer. You can't just use the full size files off your iPad at home either. You HAVE to download the files from Adobe's cloud if you want to be able to sync the catalogue between your iPad and home PC/Mac. Adobe do this to force you to buy more storage.

5. NEVER EVER use LR to delete files from your camera. EVER. Always use the camera to delete files or format the memory. You are far more likely to corrupt the memory card deleting files from your computer/iPad than you are doing it in camera. So for your last question use the format function on the last page of the menus in the camera to format the memory in camera.

Lightroom on the iPad could be sensational. The iPad is more than powerful enough to run LR CC. But Adobe's insistance on making you upload and then RE-DOWNLOADING the files from the cloud to sync with LR CC on your PC is incredibly annoying, fustrating, complex and poorly executed it ruins the LR experience on the iPad. Apple's hobbling of the file management system comes a close second in daft rubbish for a device of such power.

I like my iPad Pro. I really do. It could be the ultimate travel companion for a photographer. Instead I leave it at home and take my Surface pro. All because Adobe and Apple won't allow us to take advantage of the iPad Pro's power. Adobe want's you to use the cloud so they can sell you space. Even if I was ready for this extortion it wouldn't work where I travel (think places like Cuba, Burma, Namibia). And I don't need LR using my limited hotspot data when I travel in other place just so I have to download the exact same files when I get home. That's how much LR on the iPad annoys me.

Gordon

• Like 2

11 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Lightroom on the iPad is a PITA when it comes to file management. I REALLY dislike that Adobe won't just put LR CC on the iPad and they FORCE us to us the cloud version. It's absolutely horrible when travelling. Here's what happens.

1. You copy your images to your iPad storage from your camera or a card reader. LR will not work with these files and they are independant of LR. So LR will not delete them. If this is your only backup you're a crazy person. I NEVER delete files off a card until I have 2 copies at home. 256GB cards are cheap. Hopefully the M11-P will have enough storage to make it really useful. For now I'll keep all files on the card and copy from the internal memory to an external device and then format the internal for the next days shooting. Then I have two copies of everything.

2. When you import into LR it will COPY the files you choose into the LR library at full size. If you delete any of these files LR will not delete the files in step 1 above.

3. As soon as you have an internet connection LR will try and upload the files in step 2 to the cloud. It will then delete the large files in step 2 and replace them with sidecar files, which are a reduced size version of the file. Again files in step 1 will still be intact on your iPad. The idea is you work on the sidecar files and when you want to export, LR goes to the cloud and uses the full sized file to create the export. Some small exports can be done off the side car file.

4. If you don't have enough Adobe space or you turn sync off step 3 will pause or fail. You can still work on files on your iPad fine but you can't then sync them with Lr or LR CC on your home computer. You can't just use the full size files off your iPad at home either. You HAVE to download the files from Adobe's cloud if you want to be able to sync the catalogue between your iPad and home PC/Mac. Adobe do this to force you to buy more storage.

5. NEVER EVER use LR to delete files from your camera. EVER. Always use the camera to delete files or format the memory. You are far more likely to corrupt the memory card deleting files from your computer/iPad than you are doing it in camera. So for your last question use the format function on the last page of the menus in the camera to format the memory in camera.

Lightroom on the iPad could be sensational. The iPad is more than powerful enough to run LR CC. But Adobe's insistance on making you upload and then RE-DOWNLOADING the files from the cloud to sync with LR CC on your PC is incredibly annoying, fustrating, complex and poorly executed it ruins the LR experience on the iPad. Apple's hobbling of the file management system comes a close second in daft rubbish for a device of such power.

I like my iPad Pro. I really do. It could be the ultimate travel companion for a photographer. Instead I leave it at home and take my Surface pro. All because Adobe and Apple won't allow us to take advantage of the iPad Pro's power. Adobe want's you to use the cloud so they can sell you space. Even if I was ready for this extortion it wouldn't work where I travel (think places like Cuba, Burma, Namibia). And I don't need LR using my limited hotspot data when I travel in other place just so I have to download the exact same files when I get home. That's how much LR on the iPad annoys me.

Gordon

Wow... You are annoyed!   I am sorry to hear it but I have had a different experience:

I have been using Lightroom on my iPad Pro for many years now and although I agree that it is less capable than Lightroom CC on my Mac, it has served me well.

When travelling it allows me to copy (I also leave them on the SD card until I return home) and edit the images at the end of the day, every day.

When I return I have all of the full size DNG images on my Mac, filed in the right place and in Lightroom CC already filed and edited... I then can delete the originals on the SD cards and on the iPad.

This said my original question about how the import and deletion of the two storages SD and internal of the M11 still stands.

Many thanks

Alex

Also I noticed that the USB-Mode in Camera Settings has to be set to PTP to allow connection to Lightroom, Apple MFi only connects to FOTOS (both with iPad Pro).

With regards to deleting I will just use the format in camera for both storages.

Alex

11 hours ago, mustafasoleiman said:

Wow... You are annoyed!   I am sorry to hear it but I have had a different experience:

I have been using Lightroom on my iPad Pro for many years now and although I agree that it is less capable than Lightroom CC on my Mac, it has served me well.

When travelling it allows me to copy (I also leave them on the SD card until I return home) and edit the images at the end of the day, every day.

When I return I have all of the full size DNG images on my Mac, filed in the right place and in Lightroom CC already filed and edited... I then can delete the originals on the SD cards and on the iPad.

This said my original question about how the import and deletion of the two storages SD and internal of the M11 still stands.

Many thanks

Alex

Where I travel and the numbers I shoot makes CC useless to me. I have 500K images spread across four catalogues and can shoot 500 frames a day. This is not viable in Burma or Cuba where internet is essentially non-existant or snail paced. If Adobe allowed syncing the catalogue without having to upload/download the DNG files, I'd be fine. But they don't. It's completely unneccesary. And it's stupid. It's a money grab. I don't even mind the subscription model but this irks me. If it wasn't for the fact I use Hasselblad, I might switch to C1 which is releasing a full version for iPad this year. Mind you, I'm quite happy using my Surface Pro when I travel to get the unfiltered version of Lightroom.

As to the questions, I covered those in my rant. LR mobile won't delete files you copy from the camera to your iPad. Always delete files in the camera using the camera functions, preferably formatting.

Gordon

On 3/10/2022 at 10:30 AM, mustafasoleiman said:

Greetings

I am importing images directly into my iPad Pro linked via cable from the camera directly into lightroom.

I have been successful but I am confused by the following:

The camera is set to backup from SD card to internal memory, so when I see the images in the importing screen I see them double.

If I select ALL Lightroom imports only one copy of each image, which is correct procedure if a bit slow.

Now when I select delete ALL: does it delete both storages or only the ones imported?

The other way would be to import with a SD card reader which is probably faster... But the question then would be:

Once copied the images from the SD card and deleted them, how do I delete the remaining copies in the internal storage?

Thank you for your help.

Alex

www.durini.com

I'm still experimenting with the M11 and haven't run through all the scenarios/settings yet. From what I discovered so far, you can delete images in internal memory by formatting or reformatting the internal memory or use the "delete all" or one-by-one image delete feature in the Play Menu as usual. One quick/easy way to tell you are working with files from internal memory is to leave the SD card out of the camera and the internal memory photos will be presented in the Play Menu. I'm sure there are are some other indicators to determine internal vs SD card images --I just need to read the manual. 

I've been using the iPad Pro + LR extensively since 2018, particularly for long distance travel but need to spend more time testing with the M11 too before I start traveling again. Thanks for the reminder! I'll check out some of the things you have encountered too. 

Edited by LBJ2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Update:

1. Fotos App on iPad. I tested connecting the M11 to the iPad Pro via Fotos app with Apple USBC charge cable set to MFI setting with a few images on the M11's internal memory. I isolated images to the M11's internal memory by taking the SD card out of the camera. With  this configuration I was able to delete images stored on the M11's internal memory via the Fotos app just as I would do if deleting images on the SD card

2. LR app on iPad. I connected the M11 to the iPad same as above except I switched the camera from MFI to P2P. With the same procedure above ( no SD card in the camera), I was able to delete photos on the M11's internal memory using the delete function in the LR iPad app.

4 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

Update:

1. Fotos App on iPad. I tested connecting the M11 to the iPad Pro via Fotos app with Apple USBC charge cable set to MFI setting with a few images on the M11's internal memory. I isolated images to the M11's internal memory by taking the SD card out of the camera. With  this configuration I was able to delete images stored on the M11's internal memory via the Fotos app just as I would do if deleting images on the SD card. 

2. LR app on iPad. I connected the M11 to the iPad same as above except I switched the camera from MFI to P2P. With the same procedure above ( no SD card in the camera), I was able to delete photos on the M11's internal memory using the delete function in the LR iPad app.

Yes that is my experience...

I don't see the point of Fotos as I need to bring the images into Lightroom anyway... It seems an extra step without any advantage... Maybe I am missing something...

At least Lightroom only imports on set of images even though it shows both sets, then I delete all the images after import by formatting both storages as I use the backup setting... Bit of a bother to do two separate formattings but there you go..

Alex