New Mac Studio with M1 Ultra chip, 64GB or 128GB?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, Erato said:

Whoa, ok, it's minimal/noticeable at low power mode but the high power mode. It might be even worse if you choose the Ultra version. It may affect the noise level even it comes with a copper cabinet.

In the meanwhile, the thermal cooling system shall be noticeable aging after years. And the noise level shall reasonably be increased as well.

What is the Ultra version? I have the 24 CPU/64 GPU version. 

I only have mine since Friday, so did not have time to test a lot. Ran Borderlands 2 game and it ran very silent.

Do you know of any reports that say that it runs loud?

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

What is the Ultra version? I have the 24 CPU/64 GPU version. 

I only have mine since Friday, so did not have time to test a lot. Ran Borderlands 2 game and it ran very silent.

Do you know of any reports that say that it runs loud?

You might be wrong about the CPU core of your Mac Studio(Workstation), there's a 10-Core CUP(aka. Apple M1 Max) and a 20-core CPU(aka. Apple M1 Ultra).

And the GPU options are from 24-core to 64-core.

The power consumption is based on the OS and the application's utilization. And it is also relevant to the user behavior, especially some of the user trends to multi-tasking with heavy-loading workflow. No matter its CPU bound or GPU bound, the noise comes around when it hits the thermal control threshold. The macOS as well as other operating systems always monitor the heat status while it's SMP or similar architecture. The modern design is an SMP alike but it is still a multi-core CSIC. Not even an RSIC architecture indeed.

BTW, don't worry too much, the noise level is quite minimal according to Apple.😄

Edited by Erato

5 hours ago, Erato said:

You might be wrong about the CPU core of your Mac Studio(Workstation), there's a 10-Core CUP(aka. Apple M1 Max) and a 20-core CPU(aka. Apple M1 Ultra).

My bad, of course it’s a 20 CPU core. Thanks for the correction. And, of course, Ultra refers to the processor 🤦‍♂️.

I expect that the heaviest photography based operation will be focus stacking.

9 hours ago, Erato said:

The power consumption is based on the OS and the application's utilization. And it is also relevant to the user behavior, especially some of the user trends to multi-tasking with heavy-loading workflow. No matter its CPU bound or GPU bound, the noise comes around when it hits the thermal control threshold. The macOS as well as other operating systems always monitor the heat status while it's SMP or similar architecture. The modern design is an SMP alike but it is still a multi-core CSIC. Not even an RSIC architecture indeed.

BTW, don't worry too much, the noise level is quite minimal according to Apple.😄

patching up mistyped: RISC -- RSIC, CISC -- CSIC.

On 3/10/2022 at 3:53 PM, ymc226 said:

...getting very good matching to prints using my Epson P900.  However, with the upgrade to the M1 Macs, there is a complex workaround to having the NEC Spectraview software work which I did not want to deal with.

I'm considering moving to an M1Max MBP,  but I'd prefer to avoid as many software hassles as possible.  Have you had any issues with the epson software/P900 drivers? 

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/22/2022 at 6:41 AM, Tailwagger said:

I'm considering moving to an M1Max MBP,  but I'd prefer to avoid as many software hassles as possible.  Have you had any issues with the epson software/P900 drivers? 

Sorry, my photo related computer is a cylinder Macpro is in a separate apartment I own. The M1 MBP is used solely for business when I travel a few times yearly so doesn’t have Lightroom or any Epson driver loaded.  I use ImagePrint 12 for printing but also only use it with the computer at the apartment.  Soon, hopefully my new Mac Studio will arrive to replace the older MacPro but again will only print with ImagePrint. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ymc226 said:

Sorry, my photo related computer is a cylinder Macpro is in a separate apartment I own. The M1 MBP is used solely for business when I travel a few times yearly so doesn’t have Lightroom or any Epson driver loaded.  I use ImagePrint 12 for printing but also only use it with the computer at the apartment.  Soon, hopefully my new Mac Studio will arrive to replace the older MacPro but again will only print with ImagePrint. 

Sorry for the tangential question but do you see any benefit from the upgrade to ImagePrint v12 over v11? v11 send to work just fine on the latest version of MacOS. 

Erik

Ah ok did not know that it can be only have 16 GB, i have a intel mac mini that goes up to 64GB. If you are using no medium format raws and your catalogue is not so huge, it should be ok.
I am updating my hardware to the studio because i have to edit a lot of medium format raws and a lot of CGI files in 32 and 16 bit.
If you are planning big fat photoshop composings in 16 bit you should consider the studio too. Or wait a bit for the next Mac mini…

• 3 weeks later...

Even if it may sound annoying…
I will put my studio when it comes in June 🤞in a separate cupbord together with the external harddrives and Raid. Harddrives and raid sum up to an annoing sound that will the noise drowns out the noise of the mac studio.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, verwackelt said:

Even if it may sound annoying…
I will put my studio when it comes in June 🤞in a separate cupbord together with the external harddrives and Raid. Harddrives and raid sum up to an annoing sound that will the noise drowns out the noise of the mac studio.

You could find similar solution if it's relatively hard to find in your country. This might help.

https://auralex.com/search.php?search_query=high frequency&section=product

Edited by Erato