New Mac Studio with M1 Ultra chip, 64GB or 128GB?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just got the M11, have not downloaded any of the 60MP files yet to my old 2013 MacPro with 64GB RAM but my M10R files took a while to be worked on with this old system.  Knowing there is a difference between the older Intel and new Apple Silicone M1 chips with performance due to amount of RAM not being equivalent between the 2 types of chips.  Would anyone care to offer an opinion as to whether 64GB would be enough.  I do no video editing nor plan to and continue to use LR Classic for processing (occasional panos as well).  The Studio with the Ultra is already US$3999 and the upgrade to 128GB is an extra $800.  Don't mind upgrading if necessary but obviously would like to limit costs.  No other use for this computer except for photo editing.  

IMHO, 32 GB Memory is more than sufficient on M1 Max. In real-life practice, you'll only be taking less than 3 minutes for exporting 129 photos at full size(60MP, 9528x6328 pixels, M11).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Erato
adding exporting screenshot

Perhaps slightly off-topic. Apologies, if I pray to the quire.

I have the 16" MBP Max with 64GB RAM. Capture One runs as fast as one can only wish on that platform. Do you have a monitor in the A-class like Eizo's CG line? If not, I strongly suggest the 16" Mac laptop as a budget-friendly alternative to the Mac Studio because, with the computer, you get an outstanding, professional and accurate display, albeit only 16 inches. I have a few Eizos for editing films and can't stress enough how vital excellent monitors are. I'd prefer a new VERY good display over a new computer all day. BTW, Eizo CG monitors outlast computers by years.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb ymc226:

No other use for this computer except for photo editing.

I have a mac Mini from 2019 with 64gb ram and an external grapic card Radeon RX Vega 56 8 GB. At the moment i have to edit PhaseOne IQ4 RAWs in CaptureOne and the 16bit composing PSD has about 25 of that IQ4 shots and very many adjustments layers and masks in each layer.. The PSB has a file size of 12Gb.
It pixelsize are 11606x16000px because i have to extend the background in hight. 
I have no problem to work the psb-file…

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It depends on the filesizes and complexity you have for photo editing. My mac mini comes to his borders if i had to ad some further CGI layers to that files.
I do not know anything about video. But heard it is very hungry for computing power.
For just developing Leica files in C1 and having some small amount of adjustment layers in PS later an intel mac mini with my configuration is way enough…
Better invest in an Eizo CG instead of a Mac studio for just photo editing.

Edited by verwackelt

I went from the 2019 Intel MBP 16" with 64GB to the M1 Pro MBP 16" with 32GB. The later outperforms the former in my experience thus far. I opted for the Pro over the Max since I don't do video and wasn't sure if I'd get any benefit from the increased memory bandwidth. I put the money saved on the processor toward getting the 4TB SSD since I prefer to keep my whole photo library on the internal drive.

I use FastRawViewer, Photos, RawPower & Pixelmator Pro to manage and process Q2 DNGs, iPhone HEIC along with the RAWs from a number of past Canon, Sony & Fuji models.

I'm quite happy with the new MBP thus far. I always felt that the Intel MBP struggled even though I was never doing anything too intense.

Advice from a former Apple employee and fan-boy. Unless you're doing intensive video editing, go for the M1 Pro or M1 Max. Ultra is overkill. Also, 32GB RAM is more than enough for photo editing. Take that extra dough and buy more fast SSD storage.  Have fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, bradhusick said:

Advice from a former Apple employee and fan-boy. Unless you're doing intensive video editing, go for the M1 Pro or M1 Max. Ultra is overkill. Also, 32GB RAM is more than enough for photo editing. Take that extra dough and buy more fast SSD storage.  Have fun.

Thanks Brad,

Would you also know if running the photo files through Topaz DeNoise and Sharpen AI in addition to Lightroom will add to stress on the system where Ultra would be preferred over Max?  BTW, I just ordered the Studio with M1 Max and 64GM RAM, slated for late May/early April delivery.

10 hours ago, hansvons said:

Perhaps slightly off-topic. Apologies, if I pray to the quire.

I have the 16" MBP Max with 64GB RAM. Capture One runs as fast as one can only wish on that platform. Do you have a monitor in the A-class like Eizo's CG line? If not, I strongly suggest the 16" Mac laptop as a budget-friendly alternative to the Mac Studio because, with the computer, you get an outstanding, professional and accurate display, albeit only 16 inches. I have a few Eizos for editing films and can't stress enough how vital excellent monitors are. I'd prefer a new VERY good display over a new computer all day. BTW, Eizo CG monitors outlast computers by years.

10 hours ago, verwackelt said:

It depends on the filesizes and complexity you have for photo editing. My mac mini comes to his borders if i had to ad some further CGI layers to that files.
I do not know anything about video. But heard it is very hungry for computing power.
For just developing Leica files in C1 and having some small amount of adjustment layers in PS later an intel mac mini with my configuration is way enough…
Better invest in an Eizo CG instead of a Mac studio for just photo editing.

In terms of monitors, I was using the NEC PA Multisync monitors both 24 and 27" for editing and getting very good matching to prints using my Epson P900.  However, with the upgrade to the M1 Macs, there is a complex workaround to having the NEC Spectraview software work which I did not want to deal with.  In the meantime, while waiting for any more powerful M1 based Mac to replace my 2013 MacPro cylinder, I am now editing on two 27" Eizo CS2740 monitors.  Not as expensive as their CG series but seems to be just as good as the NEC ones they replaced.  I thought initially Apple would release a more powerful Mac mini but the Studio seems even better!

Yes NEC or Eizo CS are good too. May be they use the same screenpanels? I heard that the eizo CG and CS have the same screen panels but CG uses selected ones.
I do not know if that is true. But i have to use my display for softproofing and earn my living with that. If there are discussions with my clients they say "On my screen the colours do not look right" i always say i had my Eizo calibrated yesterday and it looks like the proof… Discussion ended ;) 
If i would do photo editing as an amateur i would buy a NEC or Eizo CS too....

Edited by verwackelt

35 minutes ago, verwackelt said:

I heard that the eizo CG and CS have the same screen panels but CG uses selected ones.

Can't comment on that one. But I own both, the latest 27" CS and a 6 years old 27"CG. The CG is the more delicate monitor to my eyes. And it's still dead accurate, even after half a decade of regular use. But we are talking here nuances. Last year I gave away a 24" CS of the first hour. This monitor was a disappointment. It became patchy, lost its accurateness relatively early and became unmatchable. The newer 27" CS that I bought 2 years ago is a different animal. It's still very accurate and doesn't show any unevenness in the blacks. However, the panel's side glance virtues aren't convincing. I use it as a programme monitor in my editing suite and find the (slightly) glaring blacks in the corners when looking from aside somewhat annoying. But again, nuances. Brilliant monitor in any other aspect - and a bargain for what you get. Highly recommended.

I agree that the Pro is good enough for photos and the Max is better for video.  Take the Pro if you need battery life.  (With current version of Photoshop.)

As to memory size, 32Mb is not enough to avoid swapping, but 64Mb will eat more battery.  I haven't seen a useful analysis of the trade offs.

On 3/10/2022 at 12:42 PM, ymc226 said:

Thanks Brad,

Would you also know if running the photo files through Topaz DeNoise and Sharpen AI in addition to Lightroom will add to stress on the system where Ultra would be preferred over Max?  BTW, I just ordered the Studio with M1 Max and 64GM RAM, slated for late May/early April delivery.

None of these tools will stress the M1 Max (or really the M1 Pro). The configuration you ordered is ideal for photo work.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 11:11 AM, erudolph said:

Thanks Brad… do you have a recommendation for a configuration suitable for DaVinci Resolve use, when working on 4k video?

Most 4K video work will do great on the M1 Pro or Max. If you're planning on lots of 8K work then the M1 Ultra might make sense.

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2022 at 11:20 AM, ymc226 said:

Thanks Erato,  I may go for the Studio Max with 64GB then.

Congrats on your decision have been made.

The fan design of Studio Max looks a bit huge to me. I hope it would work silently for you on its arrival and many years later.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 8:06 PM, Erato said:

Congrats on your decision have been made.

The fan design of Studio Max looks a bit huge to me. I hope it would work silently for you on its arrival and many years later.

Mac Studio is very silent.

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

Mac Studio is very silent.

Whoa, ok, it's minimal/noticeable at low power mode but the high power mode. It might be even worse if you choose the Ultra version. It may affect the noise level even it comes with a copper cabinet.

In the meanwhile, the thermal cooling system shall be noticeable aging after years. And the noise level shall reasonably be increased as well.