A strange shutter lag on my M-P 240

kivis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We all know that if you take a shot at say 1/2 a second speed, you will hear the initial click and then a half second later another click although more quiet. Today I shot an event outside. It was sunny with intermittent clouds. I shot the event at mostly ISO 200, F5.6 at about 1/180 of a second shutter speed. I got very nice pleasing results. But there was one nagging problem: the camera would often make this quiet but noticeable click after as much as 3 or 4 seconds after the initial shutter click and (here is the real concern) the camera would lock up during that time. It happened on single shot and continuous and it would happen shooting RAW and JPEG and both. I took about 300 exposures and more half had this issue. But all my exposures came out great except for a few focus mishaps. What up???

Did you use LiveView or other than the classic metering?

My M 240 acts like you described with LiveView on, but I never experienced a lag of 3-4 seconds.
Is the red light on the back flashing during these seconds?

I always use classic metering, so I can't tell what happened with the other kinds.

With 2G buffer, M-P may not fill it's buffer so quick.

I suggest two possibilities:

- SD card almost full, or slow writing fragmented files , I'd format the card in M-P for next use.

- metering not set to classic, but in this case the lag would be there for every shoot

I was PM'ed this: I had a similar issue with my M-P 240 if I used live-view. Try turning off live-view (or reset live-view to the off position) and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

This worked!!