Leica sends back scratched camera

trequartista

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, I sent my Leica M10r Black Paint in for adjustment of the directional buttons, because they had only little haptic feedback. After almost two months, the camera came back. Nothing was fixed, instead, there was a clearly visible scratch next to the screw of the camera front, as well as some very fine scratches everywhere else on the body. The latter scratches are only visible in direct light.

I was really disappointed by how Leica handled this. Of course I immediately got in touch with Leica and they played it down, telling me that I don't have any evidence of them making the scratches.

Anybody has similar experiences?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, trequartista said:

Hello, I sent my Leica M10r Black Paint in for adjustment of the directional buttons, because they had only little haptic feedback. After almost two months, the camera came back. Nothing was fixed, instead, there was a clearly visible scratch next to the screw of the camera front, as well as some very fine scratches everywhere else on the body. The latter scratches are only visible in direct light.

I was really disappointed by how Leica handled this. Of course I immediately got in touch with Leica and they played it down, telling me that I don't have any evidence of them making the scratches.

That is a very poor response. Take it to the next level.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2022 at 1:52 PM, trequartista said:

Good God almighty!

That is unprofessional and obnoxious in the extreme.  It is also inexcusable.  If I was okay with having screwdriver scratches on my front plate, I'd get out my Swiss Army knife and do it myself.   Patina is one thing; ham-fisted attempts at repair by someone at Leica who is supposed to be a trained professional is another matter altogether.

As @wda said, start climbing the Leica corporate ladder.  Somewhere along the line, you will hopefully speak with someone who understands that when a person spends $9300 USD on a camera, they deserve better treatment.

Taking all the above into consideration, I'm not sure what an acceptable resolution would be.  Have Leica repaint it after removing all screwdrivers from the paint department, perhaps??

Edited by Herr Barnack

On 3/6/2022 at 7:52 PM, trequartista said:

There should be an intake report mentioning the scratches if they want to deny responsibility. In Germany they would lose any legal action otherwise. You don’t have to prove they did make the scratches, they have to prove they did not, as the camera was in their care. 

• Like 1

OT but some years back the people I pay to host my website pics changed the back end and it all broke and the pics wouldn’t display, and I mean 100s of pics

The support team basically told me, sorry about that, here’s the new code that works now off you go and change it yourself for every single picture… 😏

I spent a little time doing some cyber stalking on LinkedIn and discovered that some one working there with a job title something like director of customer service was also a keen photographer with an open IG account.

I reached out to him and…

..the next day the support team contacted me saying that’d be able to re-code all my picture links after all 😉

To the OP.

You just need to find the correct person to speak too and as Jaap says - ask to see the inspection report they did upon receiving your camera 

• 1 month later...