Q2M reporter or Q2M? Which to buy?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all. I have not seen a reporter edition of a Q in person. I am about to purchase a QM2. Would you go with the reporter edition? Besides the look is there any benefit of the reporter edition? What are your thoughts?

The Q2M is a beautifully designed camera in its finish and choice of materials and texture. The reporter, to my eye, is fun, special, somewhat novelty and likely to have value to collectors at some point if truly limited in production. Much easier to accessorize a little black dress… and camera.

1 hour ago, profus said:

I prefer the look of the Q2M, one of the most beautiful cameras I've ever seen...

I agree.  There is something special about the Q2M and the finish, materials etc, is just perfect for a black and white camera.  The Reporter concept is interesting but it better suits a colour camera.

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, T25UFO said:

I agree.  There is something special about the Q2M and the finish, materials etc, is just perfect for a black and white camera.  The Reporter concept is interesting but it better suits a colour camera.

True that. I almost bought it for the looks alone! 🤭
Pure beauty.
( I bought Q2 at the end, more suitable for my needs...)

Edited by profus

I prefer much more the looks of the “standard” Q2M, in my eyes one of the most beautiful cameras ever. The mat black finish looks amazing.

The Reporter will probably maintain a slightly better selling price down the line.. although it is not a “true limited edition”.

Now I'm hearing it is a limited edition. 350 pieces worldwide. Called a few other Leica stores and was told the same thing...that the Q2M was limited, but the Q2 wasn't. It's even posted on the Leica Miami website. That makes a big difference. Wish there was an absolute confirmation either way. I wound up buying one, because it's really unique. Not sure if posting this is allowed...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

The Monochrom and Monochrom Reporter aren’t strictly identical save for paint and cladding. The Monochrom has the name Monochrom engraved in the camera body, the Reporter version does not. The only place that name appears is at the bottom of the rear screen. 

On 3/18/2022 at 5:40 AM, NICOFRANCA said:

Now I'm hearing it is a limited edition. 350 pieces worldwide. Called a few other Leica stores and was told the same thing...that the Q2M was limited, but the Q2 wasn't. It's even posted on the Leica Miami website. That makes a big difference. Wish there was an absolute confirmation either way. I wound up buying one, because it's really unique. Not sure if posting this is allowed...

IMHO, if you don't see xxx/350 on a product than it is not a 350 pieces limited edition worldwide.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb junix:

IMHO, if you don't see xxx/350 on a product than it is not a 350 pieces limited edition worldwide.

It doesn’t matter - the M10-D for example was also „limited“ (~2k pcs.) and had no numbering (it wasn’t even advertised as limited).

In case of the Q2MR it will be similar. The model will have fans that are willing to pay more in the future than for the regular version. 

But only time will tell if it will become a „classic“ (as far as this is possible at digital versions).

7 hours ago, humerc said:

It doesn’t matter - the M10-D for example was also „limited“ (~2k pcs.) and had no numbering (it wasn’t even advertised as limited).

In case of the Q2MR it will be similar. The model will have fans that are willing to pay more in the future than for the regular version. 

But only time will tell if it will become a „classic“ (as far as this is possible at digital versions).

I think the M10-D limited run was due to poor demand (at the time my dealer had 2 pcs for ages..) but the moment they became unavailable everyone and their dog wanted one (me included .. :) ..human nature?). But you do have a point with the Q2MR, it will definitely retain it’s price better down the line.. I just don’t think that choosing a digital camera because of resale price instead of which one you like better makes sense.

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Having just recently acquired a Q2M Reporter, I can say it is a refreshing and cool jump from a straight black Q2/Q2M. Don't overthink the "grip" the Reporter MIGHT have over the regular Q2M...no Q2 has grip without at least the thumb attachment, and maybe a RRS L-Bracket. (I shoot mostly landscapes. Sorry, not sorry.) I have used many cameras. These cameras are not ergonomic while on the move. Again, sorry, not sorry. That said, the contrast of the forest green against the black is pretty sweet, and makes it not look like a Leica, if that makes sense. The feel is so smooth though, and I am not sure if that applies to the straight Q2M or not, but I don't believe it does. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) I do not pay attention to the limited editions numbers...although I don't see this as a limited edition given its meager price increase of "only" $300 over the regular Q2M? I have seen limited edition Leicas before-they go for MUCH more than the standard editions. I am sure a more knowledgable person will weigh in, but these are my $.02. 

Have fun, regardless!

Edited by AaronMRamsey