Leica M10-R + Voigtländer 28mm f/2 Ultron II - Close focus and dead-zone on focusing

hybrix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello

I got my first Leica M (in this case the M10-R) and purchased a new Voigtländer 28mm f/2 Ultron II.

When i use the lens at f/2 and focus on a close object (set the lens to the closest focus = 0.5m) the pictures are always massively blurry.
When I focus on about .6m it's dead sharp. Also when I adjust the focus from 0.5m to 0.6m on the lens (which is about 1cm of movement) inside the rangefinder - nothing changes. No movement on the focus patch at all.

Do I miss here something? Is this normal behaviour or is the lens a faulty one?

You need to be careful when focusing on subjects closer than 0.7m as the Leica rangefinder of your M10-R imits the closest distance by design and only works up to 0.7m due to the technical aspects.
The rangefinder will show objects in focus even if you move closer, yet they will not be. Your best bet with subjects between 0.5m and 0.7m is to use live view or an external EVF and thus get your focus right every time. You will eventually get the hang of it.
A great camera + lens combo btw.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1

I don't use the EVF (020 Viso) on my M10-R a whole lot but do find that it has its uses.  For R lenses you need it to focus since the rangefinder doesn't work with those.  Also, there are times with high contrast scenes such as sunrises or sunsets where I find spot metering is best to balance out the exposure, and that only works with the EVF.  

Often times I use both the EVF & rangefinder together at car shows.  EVF for exposure and rangefinder for focusing.  Best of both worlds without a lot of guesswork or hit & miss.