Design vs functionality (back buttons)

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can anyone explain why the play button doesn't sit on the right side of the back screen on SL2/SL2-S? Alternatively why the play button can't be programmed to one of the buttons available for the right hand?

It would be so much more convenient if one could activate the play button with the right hand, for instance with the right hand thumb, since the right hand holds the camera and controls the release button. The left hand, for most users I guess (at lest for me), controls the stability of the lens and/or focus and/or aperture. So moving the left hand from the lens to the uppermost control button to the left of the screen in order to activate the play button leads to movement of the body and destroys fluid operation of the shooting.

Yes, three buttons to the left of the back screen might look good and clean from a design point of view, but add me to those that  m u c h  prefer the four-button layout of Leica S and SL.

Yes, I do understand that activation of the play preview slows down the shooting. But it doesn't hurt to check critical focus and exposure now and then w i t h o u t  moving the eye from the EVF.

Or is it only me getting older (certainly the case!) and more grumpy (likely the case, as well)...? 

• Like 4

On 3/4/2022 at 6:34 PM, helged said:

Can anyone explain why the play button doesn't sit on the right side of the back screen on SL2/SL2-S? Alternatively why the play button can't be programmed to one of the buttons available for the right hand?

It would be so much more convenient if one could activate the play button with the right hand, for instance with the right hand thumb, since the right hand holds the camera and controls the release button. The left hand, for most users I guess (at lest for me), controls the stability of the lens and/or focus and/or aperture. So moving the left hand from the lens to the uppermost control button to the left of the screen in order to activate the play button leads to movement of the body and destroys fluid operation of the shooting.

Yes, three buttons to the left of the back screen might look good and clean from a design point of view, but add me to those that  m u c h  prefer the four-button layout of Leica S and SL.

Yes, I do understand that activation of the play preview slows down the shooting. But it doesn't hurt to check critical focus and exposure now and then w i t h o u t  moving the eye from the EVF.

Or is it only me getting older (certainly the case!) and more grumpy (likely the case, as well)...? 

Fully agree Helge. It bugs me as well that I have to lower the camera from my eye in order to review an image. Functionality over aesthetics should have applied in this instance.

Best

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree entirely. If the Leica design philosophy is one of coupling formal minimalism with maximally functional ergonomics, the SL2-design is a step backwards in terms of functionality (the position of the buttons) and to some extent also in terms of minimalism (do we really need labeled buttons?). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

enable hold shutter for play preview in the menu .

Not sure what the issue is. In my studio shoot I loot true the EVF. never let my fave down to see what it looks like, besides the images go into Capture One and not on the card.

In any case I just hold the shutter Botton down for as long I need to preview the last image. 

I'm happy with it as it is - I never thought about it till now! And I like the fact that it is the same as on the CL. And would be the same on a recent M. If I had one.

I'm another one who holds the shutter button down to review the image.

Edited by LocalHero1953