Leica Q - EVF smear

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This morning as I was heading out for my morning walk where I snap some pictures I noticed in the viewfinder of my Leica Q what looks like an oil smear. Last night I took some photos indoors then turned my camera off and set it down, and this morning these streaks have appeared. These do not show up in my files, nor on the LCD screen so I think it’s an EVF issue.

Has anyone had this happen to them + fixed it? And if so, what was the issue?

thanks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi, went through the same nightmare a couple of years ago on my Q. Sent it to Leica service and they have replaced the internal viewfinder. they made me pay some 300 euros since the warranty was just expired after 2 years (too bas). Haven't had any problem ever since. It seems to be a common issue on some Qs. Hope this helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, faxao said:

Hi, went through the same nightmare a couple of years ago on my Q. Sent it to Leica service and they have replaced the internal viewfinder. they made me pay some 300 euros since the warranty was just expired after 2 years (too bas). Haven't had any problem ever since. It seems to be a common issue on some Qs. Hope this helps

Thank you for the quick response! I was worried it was water damage or something like that. I'm in contact with Leica Customer Support and they have told me "The fault described can be caused by temperature change, humidity, storage etc. But this is not considered a serial flaw as this occurs seldom and not all cameras are affected."

So it sounds like I'll be forking over some $ too for a fix...

At least we know where it could be coming from now! I wonder how more properly the camera can be storied in the future to prevent this. If room temperature isn't enough, then what is?

Same here, I've been advised to contact Leica Mayfair who should be able to repair it. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

My Q is currently in Germany receiving a replacement EVF for the very same issue. Seems like this issue is quite common. My camera was fine one moment then turned it on and this issue appeared. I've been charged $420 (Australian dollars) to have it replaced. 

1 minute ago, Namrof said:

My Q is currently in Germany receiving a replacement EVF for the very same issue. Seems like this issue is quite common. My camera was fine one moment then turned it on and this issue appeared. I've been charged $420 (Australian dollars) to have it replaced. 

Do you think it’s a worn adhesive? I still can’t figure out what “delamination” means.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, jamesbuddy said:

Do you think it’s a worn adhesive? I still can’t figure out what “delamination” means.

Not sure... I was just told delamination. It seems to be the left side of the evf in all the cases I've seen posted on the forums. 

On 3/4/2022 at 9:00 AM, faxao said:

How long did your repair take?

On 3/12/2022 at 4:59 PM, jamesbuddy said:

How long did your repair take?

Update for the forum. I just got back my estimate! The replacement part itself will cost $265 but the labor complete this will cost $276. Total that up and it’s a $571 repair job! Throw $35 shipping and a $35 state tax from NJ on top and this will be a $641 repair in total.

I’m going to pay for it because I love my device, but let this be a warning to those who buy second hand Q’s…buyer beware!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Small update. I asked the Customer Care representative about whether this delamination issue was something that happened to other Q’s but occurred within the primary warranty window (2 years) after the product was released to understand if this was common or I and all of us who have had similar issues just got unlucky with our purchase.

My question was forwarded to a technical advisor who offered this lengthy response:

I've rarely seen viewfinder issues on Q's. Most of the ones I've seen have been impact damage.

I know I and the other Q owners didn’t drop their device when delamination started since we’ve all talked about how one day this just appeared in the EVF. So. That was helpful…

Still awaiting my cameras return!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am happy to report my Q was returned to me today! Regarding the time for repairs that makes Leica NJ a 6+ week time in shop since estimate approval and just over 8 weeks since I initially sent my camera in.

Whew! Time to go snap snap

Edited by jamesbuddy

Coincidentally my Q was also returned to me today from Leica Mayfair in London. I posted it to them on 1st April and today is 3rd May. They replaced the delaminated EVF and also the menu button which had gone soft. It took a little longer as the parts were shipped over from Germany. Total cost was £224 which I thought was very reasonable. Great service. It has arrived just in time for a little trip away, perfect!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sue H said:

Coincidentally my Q was also returned to me today from Leica Mayfair in London. I posted it to them on 1st April and today is 3rd May. They replaced the delaminated EVF and also the menu button which had gone soft. It took a little longer as the parts were shipped over from Germany. Total cost was £224 which I thought was very reasonable. Great service. It has arrived just in time for a little trip away, perfect!

Sue, I envy your good pricing and quick service! Have fun with your device!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

My Q, 2nd hand and over 1M shots when i got it has developed thr same problem. It hasnt been dropped, its stored well but from one day to the next it appeared

Its been taken to the local Leica shop and will now be shipped to NJ for a quote and repair

Today is Mach 17th

Cost to ship to Leica was $91.87 (tax in)

I will keep you updated

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 6:49 PM, JDow said:

My Q, 2nd hand and over 1M shots when i got it has developed thr same problem. It hasnt been dropped, its stored well but from one day to the next it appeared

Its been taken to the local Leica shop and will now be shipped to NJ for a quote and repair

Today is Mach 17th

Cost to ship to Leica was $91.87 (tax in)

I will keep you updated

You got second hand Q2 with one million shots?