Will SL apo lenses perform better on SL2-s than on Panasonic S5?

opera207

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a SL2-s and  want to trade it for a Panasonic S5, I need v-log. also I have two SL apo lenses, SL 35 apo and 75 apo.

One of my friends told me that the SL APO lenses won't perform well on S5, they perform better on SL cameras. Should I replace the SL APO lenses with Panasonic lenses and save a lot?

So people, what's your experience about using SL APO lenses on Panasonic cameras? 

Thanks for your advices.

Edited by opera207

The only reason that they look better on SL2 is because the sensor from Leica has a better micro glass covering to correct for M lenses. Therefor other lenses look better on the SL2s. I adapt cinema glass and canon EF lenses on Sl2 camera and they look better then other bodies.

The different is not big, I don't think you are going to see much different in videos. The panasonic lenses will get the same effect.

Just keep your good Lenses!

You didn't like L-Log?

It’s conceivable that the APO SL primes perform better on an SL body compared to a Panasonic S body. The lenses do provide certain correction parameters and it’s possible that Leica can eek out a bit more performance out of them as compared to Panasonic. That said, I would expect the APO SL primes on a Panasonic to perform better than any Panasonic prime mounted on a native Panasonic S body. The APO SL primes optically are excellent even without corrections and using them on a SL is just icing on the cake.

The real question is "do Pany lenses perform better than SL Apo lenses on a Pany body", it is not "do SL Apo lenses perform worse on a Pany than a SL". 

Lens chart resolutions is the only way to know if that is mathematically true. Or run your own tests. 

Leica SL Apo lenses are very good no matter what camera body they are on. If you want the cash, trade them in and buy cheaper Pany lenses or even Sigma, but personally I would keep them. 

I believe it has been documented that the lenses perform somewhat better on Leica than on Panasonic. The difference is measurable. I know a very clever photographer who used the lenses on Leica and Panasonic as he owned both bodies, and he reported that in actual shooting one could not see any difference.

While resolution / sharpness are important, the main benefit that I get from the Leica SL lenses is an absence of aberrations, clean photos.

That is not the case with my old Sony and Nikon lenses.  Whether it's worth the multiple cost of "ordinary" lenses, is a matter of appreciation.  For me, the cost of the Leica lenses is not that different from regular lenses once depreciation/resale value are taken into account, so I stick with them.  That said, I'm sure that the S Nikkors and the latest GM Sony lenses will not be that far off the Leica SL lenses, but I haven't tried any,