The crazy SF 26 flash....does not fit. Disapponted in Leica Customer Service

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What does the Leica SF26 flash fit and why does Leica Customer Service not respond? I bought this Leica flash because it was "small" and lightweight. But it does not physically fit my Q2 or M11. The SF26 flash shoe is too wide. I have asked Leica Customer Service several times to confirm which Leica cameras this flash will fit. A large Leica dealer said the SF26 is a re-badge of the Metz and confirmed it will not fit many Leica cameras. This article confirms this issue: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4423514    My disappointment as an owner of over $40K in Leica gear, is the company will not respond or assist with this issue.

As mentioned in the instructions manual, the Leica SF 26 was developed for Leica digital cameras of the M-, T- and X- series that automatically adjust the flash exposure by means of the guide number. Works fine on the digital CL too (pic). It is a flash from 2014 though. Not sure if it is discontinued but it doesn't seem to be advertised on the Leica website anymore.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct

• 8 months later...

Hmmmmm........ the SC26 fits my M11 fine.  The only way I see it not fitting is if one is trying to mount it backwards.  Turn it around and see if you're trying to mount it backwards.  However, this is the CL, TL sub-forum, not the Q2 or M11 so you might not get a lot of response for your situation.  While I would want to hear back from customer service as well, if they have to prioritise calls, this would fall below emergency. 

Edited by DenverSteve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I used mine on the CL this weekend for the first time. Works great.  I was not able to put it on initially as the lock pin does not easily let the flash pass into the shoe.  Try pressihg the lock release button  on the bottom back of the flash near the base as you insert it.  Hope this helps.

@Max EPR If you are contacting Leica customer service in Wetzlar, it's not surprising that they are not responding; getting a response out of Leica HQ is a crap shoot a lot of times.  Not what one would hope for, but that seems to be the way it is.

I am surprised that flash shoe dimensions are not standardized across all manufacturers - I had always thought they were.  One would think that every flash manufacturer would want their flash units to mount on any camera.

My first thought was that you could perform minor surgery on the flash shoe to thin it down so that it would mount on your Q2 and M11.  If it is 1-2mm too wide, that could be rectified with the careful and gentle use of a medium grit (120 to 150) sandpaper and sanding block or a sanding sponge.   If the hot shoe looks to be less than 1mm too wide, I would start with a fine grit (180 to 220) sandpaper and see how that works out.  

I would make 3-4 passes on each edge of the flash shoe, dust it off with some canned air and check for fit.  If it is still too wide, repeat the process until you have removed enough material for it to mount on your Q2 and M11.

This is my suggestion for a do it yourself fix, although I have never personally done this and cannot guarantee the result.  Just an idea - if it resonates with you, give it a try. 

If the hot shoe is too thick height wise, that would require sanding the base.  I'm not so sure I'd try that, as you would also be sanding off the electrical contacts.  I would have to wonder if that could cause the flash to not function properly afterword.

Sanding block:  https://www.amazon.com/Tockrop-Sanding-Mouse-Shaped-Furniture-Restoration/dp/B07XXNRJ15/ref=sr_1_25?crid=3SYD8QYWQGPQO&keywords=sanding+block&qid=1669586089&s=hi&sprefix=sanding+block%2Ctools%2C107&sr=1-25

Sanding sponges:  https://www.amazon.com/Onarway-Sanding-Sponges-Dual-use-Coarse/dp/B08D9GWD7X/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2XD9ZZ9USN6N2&keywords=Sanding+Sponges&qid=1669587326&s=hi&sprefix=sanding+sponges%2Ctools%2C105&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyT1FURDdRUzFYMEE5JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjEzNjIyVlpJRElWMkxYNUw1JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1NjU5MjUzR0dFUU4xUDNNN082JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Hope this helps...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is a release button at the bottom of the flash (8). First thing to do is to press this button while sliding the flash into the hot shoe until it clicks and locks the flash. Not clear if the OP did that.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

I am surprised that flash shoe dimensions are not standardized across all manufacturers - I had always thought they were.

I believe they are. There's been an ISO standard since the 1970s that pretty much everyone follows (though companies have their own ideas about extra contact pins), but the size goes back much further, to the accessory shoes of the early Leicas.

• 7 months later...