Anyone done M10M comparisons vs M11?

Jon Warwick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Typically, I’ve always seen a pretty clear benefit of the Monochrom for both resolution & tonality versus its Bayer sensor peer due to the lack of color interpolation, but now we’re in the realm of 60mp color vs 40mp B&W.

I’d assume the M10M remains the clear best in terms of low noise at high ISO, but curious if anyone has compared the M11’s resolution and tonality (when converted into B&W) versus the M10 Monochrom?  Do you still see a different “look” that favours a pure play Monochrom camera?

• 2 months later...

I have both the M11 and the M10M. After my testing, if I know I want B&W I use the M10M.

Reddotforum says the M10M has two stops over the M11. The resolution is a wash given the M10M has not bayer filtration. However, if you prefer post production color filters, use the M11.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As the OP, I will give an update, in the end I got an immaculate secondhand M10M and am delighted with it. It’s my favourite digital camera ever, given (as I’d hoped for) it seems to achieve a less digitally processed rendering in final prints than I perceive from the color filter array cameras I’ve always used (eg, my GFX100S, or the M11 that I tried out).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Made the huge mistake of grabbing an M11 to see if it could unseat my M10M as my favorite camera of all time. Of course now I want to keep both.

I’m not a pixel peeper and don’t have the time or patience to scientifically compare them, but I did do some comparisons. To my eye, the M10M outperforms the M11 at all ISOs particularly 1600 and above where it becomes literally no contest, unless you are shooting color, and even there, go use the neural plug ins with the M10M and make some color magically appear. The M11 is remarkable at ISO 64, pretty good up to 800. When comparing to the M10M you suddenly start to notice even the tiniest bit of noise in the M11. If you just had the M11, you would probably say it is a great performer up to at least 6400. Damn you M10M! What am I going to do now?!

If anyone is interested, I can try to post some of my boring non scientific living room shots of each camera.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, LeicaS2 said:

I have both the M11 and the M10M. After my testing, if I know I want B&W I use the M10M.

Reddotforum says the M10M has two stops over the M11. The resolution is a wash given the M10M has not bayer filtration. However, if you prefer post production color filters, use the M11.

+1

16 hours ago, augustwest100 said:

If anyone is interested, I can try to post some of my boring non scientific living room shots of each camera.

Nothing boring about same scene comparisons, would suggest three - M11 color, M11 converted to BW and M10M. 

Haven't used an M11 yet. But the M10-M is just an amazing camera. I think it's finally taken the award away from the M-D 262 as my favorite Leica M body. :) 

I'd love to pair it with a color body, but am thinking that I'll find an M10-R rather than M11 simply because the batteries are the same. I'm pretty tired of having to maintain two/three different kinds of batteries and chargers all the time. And that way I won't feel bad about choosing a Visoflex 020 for the M10-M either. ;) 

G

• Like 3

Ok, then! I will try my best here. Please note the shots are handheld, and I believe there is some in camera noise reduction applied. I will post several photos, starting with the M11 color at the large DNG size. Each shot is 6400 ISO.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here is the desaturated M11 ISO 6400:

M10M, ISO 6400

and just for fun, here are color SL2S and desaturated SL2S shots of the same scene! ISO 6400...

• Like 1

SL2S ISO 6400 desaturated

• Like 2

ok, now REALLY just for fun...this one is the M10M at ISO 6400, with Photoshop auto color neural filter applied...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Dward said:

That neural filter is crazy and makes a unique image with the M10M. 

In this series, the M10M looks cleaner, crisper and brighter but nothing is wrong with the M11. 

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Dave

I feel like at full resolution the difference is even more apparent. I have a few at 1600 and 3200 if you are interested let me know.

28 minutes ago, GFW2-SCUSA said:

To my old eyes the M10M with neutral filter gives it a very 1950a look.  I too thank you for the time and effort you put into this project.  

George

I agree. Not to get too far off topic, but I guess it has trouble with the color yellow, if you look at the pillows and the lemons! But otherwise, it's pretty unbelievable what one click can get you. In the battle between M11 and M10M, I suppose this is a trick up the sleeve of the M10M. On the other hand, M11 users looking for this look could desaturate their photo and then run it through the neural filter LOL