S3 Colors - I drank the coffee

davidmknoble

DavidMKnoble,  First, your landscape photograph is simply superb.  Your masterpiece photograph's color, light, compositiion, texture, shadow and incredible rendering by the S3 is stunning.  Your photograph is one of the BEST landscape photographs that I have seen in some time in the S forum.  Second, when I owned the S3 and S lenses for my business, I rarely if ever had to adjust the color.  The S3 AWB is the best that I have used.  My clients always voted with their wallets simply because the way the S system renders color, light and creates a cinematic view, unlike anything else out there.  Last, I would say, give the S3 a chance to help you create more masterpieces that cause the viewer to;  Stop, Look, Think and if possible Feel something about that moment  in time. Your landscape photograph IMO, does this is spades.  Bravo!   r/ Mark

PS I am sure there will be other S forum members who might have other ideas and tips for color.  I do not...IMO, your S3 and creativty are spot on. I wouldn't change a thing.

Edited by LeicaR10

I, also, like the S3 color better than anything since the S(006). It is important to try different profiles. Adobe Color, Leica's own profile, and Cobalt's profiles are all good, but very different with highly saturated colors.

Your image above has wonderful color. Balancing the yellows and greens of real vegetation is so hard to get right that we don't notice how bad it is in most digital images. Leica's are generally good at this, and you nailed it. This scene looks like you are standing there.

+1 for the image, @davidmknoble - excellent! 

Colours are difficult, at least for mye eyes and based on my ability to alter images in post... I mostly dislike the Leica S3 Lightroom profile (too punchy; plus tendency for blocking shadows and highlight clipping), so these days I usually go for one of the Cobalt profiles. It would be interesting to test Capture One; I used this software long time (10+ years) ago. Since then I have been using Lightroom and Photoshop.

Edited by helged

2 hours ago, helged said:

+1 for the image, @davidmknoble - excellent! 

Colours are difficult, at least for mye eyes and based on my ability to alter images in post... I mostly dislike the Leica S3 Lightroom profile (too punchy; plus tendency for blocking shadows and highlight clipping), so these days I usually go for one of the Cobalt profiles. It would be interesting to test Capture One; I used this software long time (10+ years) ago. Since then I have been using Lightroom and Photoshop.

@helged, I don’t dislike lightroom and actually started using it with version 2.  I have probably 70,000 images over 10+ years in lightroom. What I found was that I was exporting them to ON1 and editing the luminosity layers to really bring out tones.  The digital ‘film curve’ is so different from film, getting the image to look like art is tough with just lightroom.  Then I decided to try capture one 21, and now have 22.  They have really stepped up the game and no longer just the color balance king.  

The ability to target colors and luminosity is much better than lightroom.  The controls are also very slow to respond - by that I mean it takes a lot of movement to drastically change the image, so fine tuning is very easy.  I also think that Capture One has now put together Leica specific profiles, so they no longer use a “universal” default.  So, the demosaic process of the Leica sensors is specific to the camera.  I know they have the SL, and S007 and S3, and I think the M10, so not older cameras yet.

Not to pitch their product, but the online videos are really good and the exporting is incredible.  I did do a couple things differently from lightroom.  First, I created a catalog for every 5 years as I read really large catalogs are too hard to use efficiently.  Second, I exported all my keywords in lightroom and organized them into separate files - weather, objects, color, people, etc.  Most people probably wont do that, but it makes it easier for me.  Lastly, I filtered my library by color tag and attached a keyword for that color, like “yellow color tag.”  Then I exported the catalog, for every 5 years, without embedding the images.  So, when I imported into Capture One, it kept most of the data and many of the edits.  However, the color tags dont transfer so it became a reverse process. Filter by color keyword, and then attache a color tag on Capture One.

If you decide to try, the sessions are great.  When I hit the coast, I work on a session for a few days with images on my hard drive, edit, cull, etc. (Like the image I posted at the start), then when I get home I can effectively put them on my master drive and keep the edits.

Definitely a learning curve and that’s what I read before I started, but everyone suggested sticking with it for 60-90 days and start watching the videos and they were right.  It’s becoming more intuitive and I customize it for myself.  

Kept lightroom but haven’t opened it since November. :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ha, I guess the coffee ok, just don’t drink the kool aid.

Seriously, the camera looks awesome . I’m also very intrigued by the possibilities of 4K medium format video with this camera and of course the gorgeous S lenses . 
Love to see some video too.

Thanks,

Tim

Edited by tjphoto

I use Capture One exclusively for raw conversion, both for S3 and SL2. Pro Standard profiles and the Film Standard curve. It took me a long time to convert from Lightroom but I do not even open LR nowadays, except to look for older images in the catalog. I also find some of the optional styles offered by C1 worth experimenting with (e.g. the Beyond Film collection), as a quick way to test different color grading ideas for a particular image. With the ability to use layers in C1, with luma range masking,  and the powerful color editor, I nowadays do most of the broader corrections (and some dust spotting) in C1, before exporting TIFF to PS, for finer retouch (mostly skin, hair), dodge and burn, adding grain and export to jpeg for online publication. 

The concept of sessions in C1 was a bit counter intuitive for me initially but it all started make sense when I progressed my photography into a workflow based on shoots and defined projects. 

On the other hand, the recent addition of AI masking tools to Lightroom also look very promising and tempting (e.g. automatic selection of the sky or the subject).

www.martindrazsky.com

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2022 at 2:11 AM, davidmknoble said:

I had an opportunity to purchase a used S3, which I did, keeping my S007.  I have say, moving up to the S007 from the S2 was an experience - the dynamic range and colors were incredible!  Today was my first day out shooting the S3 on the coast.  My luck, the sunrise was a foggy soupy mess.  I got some great foggy shots, but the one here was my favorite.  Warm light and perfect contrast.

I moved to Capture One over the last 60 days, and I’m getting better at luminosity contrast, but I love the color balancing.  On this shot there is just a nudge of color, very little adjustment. 

I have a function set to white balance on the back, and use a white balance card, even for shots like this.  I do have to say the S3 nails the white balance on auto really well even in some tricky lighting.  I’ve also talked about how the S007 sensor paints light, and it still does.  However, the S3 not only paints, it is a Rembrandt!

Does anyone have any color tips with the S3 or editing you do with the colors that work well?  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Love this shot!  Superb.  As a long time S user, I am now tempted to move to the S3 from the S007.