Alternative lens hood for Summar

nf3996

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a newly cleaned and serviced 50mm Summar lens that I’m keen to put to use. It dates from 1935 and is uncoated. From reading about the Summar, it’s clear that I’ll need to use a lens hood to get the best from this lens. I don’t have one of the original hoods designed for the lens (SOOMP), but I do have three other options. Which of the following is likely to be the most effective?

• FOOKH. Although designed for a 35mm lens, this hood came with the Summar and I presume the previous owner found it effective enough.

• FISON. It works effectively with the 50mm Elmar, so is there a reason why it would be less useful on the Summar?

• SOOGZ + 39mm modern vented hood. This combination is longer and deeper than a FISON, but also wider so maybe provides less shading of the front element?

Thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Alan

The FIKUS - even fully collapsed - as well as the FISON show some vignetting. If you push them on the lens as far as you can, the hood's rim covers the index for f-stops - so you will have to guess, which is not quite easy with the Summar as it has no defined clicks for f-stops like modern lenses.

The FOOKH avoids both: no vignetting and the index for f-stops is kept free.

Summar at f/2 no hood:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Summar f/2 with FIKUS:

Summar at f/2 with FISON

Summar f2 with FOOKH:

Of course the FOOKH being rather short won't be as effective as the SOOMP and the Summar is prone to flare. 

Edited by UliWer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use the Leitz FOOKH 12505, but purchased a aftermarket version from Haoge which, if anything, is more sturdily constructed than the Leitz. Both works flawlessly with Summaron & Elmar 3.5cm 1:3.5 LTM, Elmar 5cm 1:3.5 LTM and Summar 5cm 1:2.0

The Haoge is approximately 2 grams heavier than the Leitz. The Haoge uses phillips (+) screws. The FOOKH uses standard (-) screws.

Dimensions and appearance is otherwise identical except for the branding.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yesterday, at a local camera fair, I found and purchased an original SOOMP hood (for about one-third of the prices being asked on eBay). No dents or dings, just some paint wear on its edges. Never having examined one in the flesh before,  I now see that the SOOMP is angled very lightly downwards when fitted to the lens - a small detail I'd not previously noticed in illustrations of the hood. Now to check its effectiveness on my Summar ...

Alan

• Like 1