Does Lightroom version 5 process DNG file from M10M properly or need to be upgraded to version 6.8?

swatch

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M9M is my current monochrome camera and I process the DNG file from M9M with Lightroom version 5.  This combo is working good for me.  Reason for asking per captioned title is I am considering of M10M but not sure if Lightroom version 5 can or cannot process DNG file from M10M properly.  

Any advice or experience sharing would be appreciated.  Thanks

Whether it can or not, you are missing out on the multitude of improvements and added controls (especially local adjustments) in the most recent LR version, even for your M9M.  I have reprinted pics that I made many years ago with earlier LR versions, and the differences are significant for me.  With all you’ll spend on an M10M, a shame to waste so much potential for relatively little added cost….IMHO.

Jeff

6 hours ago, ECliffordSmith said:

Hi Jeff,

That is is interesting regarding the improvements. I use Lightroom 4 with my M10M DNG files and have been considering upgrading. 

You’re probably using an old process version (2003, 2010, 2012 and now version 4 from around 2017), in addition to missing out on everything else.  I used to depend on Photoshop far more back then; today LR has the tools to do most of what I need.  For printing, though, I add ImagePrint to my workflow for the very best results. This back-end software is cheap compared to my camera/lens purchases, and yields much more bang for the buck in terms of final print rendering.

The cost for the Adobe Photo Plan is 10 bucks a month, including both LR Classic and Photoshop. It’s about what I used to spend on upgrades, and far less than I used to spend in darkroom days. No-brainer for me. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2022 at 10:36 AM, Jeff S said:

You’re probably using an old process version (2003, 2010, 2012 and now version 4 from around 2017), in addition to missing out on everything else.  I used to depend on Photoshop far more back then; today LR has the tools to do most of what I need.  For printing, though, I add ImagePrint to my workflow for the very best results. This back-end software is cheap compared to my camera/lens purchases, and yields much more bang for the buck in terms of final print rendering.

The cost for the Adobe Photo Plan is 10 bucks a month, including both LR Classic and Photoshop. It’s about what I used to spend on upgrades, and far less than I used to spend in darkroom days. No-brainer for me. 

Jeff

I agree with @Jeff S I’ve used LR since version 2.x, but upgraded regularly. I’ve used the $10/month plan for as long as it existed. The current version has added some good tools.  I also agree with using ImagePrint - it really delivers and is incredibly flexible.  I have made the switch over the last 3 months to Capture One 22 and I love the color balancing.  I’m still getting used to the luminosity adjustments, which I was getting really good at with ON1 and Lightroom, but I’m getting there. 

With today’s computers and software, the digital workflow continues to make advances to keep up with new cameras and profiles.  I would suggest upgrading all the time is a good idea, but slowly.  Certainly worth waiting 6 months for upgrading major versions to see what bugs may exist.