Little play of lens elements from my Lux 50 Asph… a problem? FLA or service needed?

LEGEND

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Few months ago I noticed small play of focus elements on my Summilux M 50 Asph.
I made a video where you can see this.  On focus set to infinity
it is little bit more and on the near less.You can best see this on the focus distance and DoF marks.
Also when I looked into the lens from rear part, the back elements also little wiggle as the rest of the lens.
Only part that is fixed, where is bayonet screwed  on has no movement and play.
I have checked and the whole rear elements that touch rangefinder focusing arm
does not move back and forth. They only have little bit of play rotating left-right.
That is visible if is move the focusing arm, holding whole lens or moving just the
aperture ring. I have M11 and try’d the focus on her on 60MP. No problem, spot on.
I am not sure if I should send this to Leica for service or not. Do I get also CLA for free
If I send the lens for service? The waiting time is very long 10-14 weeks and it is not cheap.
I need this lens for shooting a Fashion Week in first week of May. Could the Leica somehow
service this faster if I explain them that I need this lens before this Fashion Week start in May?

Please help,
Thank you...

Nikola

Edited by LEGEND
Grammar error...

• LEGEND changed the title to Little play of lens elements from my Lux 50 Asph… a problem? FLA or service needed?

To tighten those loose screws you basically need to detach one optical group from the other to get access to. Complex design. You also need a special wrench. I talked to Don (DAG) he advised that special care must be taken when re-aligning these lens elements. An easy task for Leica technician but might be tricky if you try to repeat it at your home kitchen.

My lens has the same type of play. I think it will loosen with time, so need to find a solution.

Please let us know how much is the fix (if you decide to send the lens to Leica)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, labyrinth said:

To tighten those loose screws you basically need to detach one optical group from the other to get access to. Complex design. You also need a special wrench. I talked to Don (DAG) he advised that special care must be taken when re-aligning these lens elements. An easy task for Leica technician but might be tricky if you try to repeat it at your home kitchen.

My lens has the same type of play. I think it will loosen with time, so need to find a solution.

Please let us know how much is the fix (if you decide to send the lens to Leica)

Thank you for the response :)

I thought that is something like that you described. The Leica Costumer Care gave me similar answer and advised to send the lens into service to them.
They also said it is too complicated and that need special tools and expertise to perform the service. If I send my lens to someone else for service it is very 
possible to get back back out of calibration or  even damaged. They can only grant the optimal service if is performed with their technicians.
I also asked about price... They told me the price for the service varies between 150 Euro and 275 Euro without German VAT that is 19% I think...
And the return time is around 10-14 weeks , perhaps less in the Spring... I think the price depend of how much work is needed to repair the lens.
They will check the lens and send repair price. If you don't want to accept that then they will send the lens back to you on their cost. 
I am not sure if there are any fees for checking the lens and not accepting the repair.

I think that I will send this lens for the service to the Leica because with my new Leica M11 I need top performance and no possible focus problems 
because of this issue on my lux 50 Asph. I will report back when I know more...

Nikola

• Like 1