Not a very positive take on M11 by Overgaard - says it will not be a classic

leicavkk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 minutes ago, lct said:

60MP is too high a pixel count for my hands sans IBIS as i tried to explain above, i should have mentioned motion blur in the first place perhaps sorry. Whatever allow me to formulate my question another way. Should i expect the same loss of acutance at 18 MP than that reported at 36MP by Sean Reid and, seemingly, other M11 users?

I suppose you didn't try the M11 at 60mp or other MP.  The verdict is that at any resolution the motion blur is the same.

The M11 can be in hands like other m10 cameras. If you can't hold 1/60 on an M10 then shoot faster. but there is no issue with 60MP.

IBIS would give you the advantage of shooting at 1/8, 1/15, what is the same on M10 cameras.

The M11 is not like the old Sony cameras shutter where the hole street would shake when you pressed the shutter on that 36MP sensor..

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

I suppose you didn't try the M11 at 60mp or other MP.  The verdict is that at any resolution the motion blur is the same.

The M11 can be in hands like other m10 cameras. If you can't hold 1/60 on an M10 then shoot faster. but there is no issue with 60MP.

IBIS would give you the advantage of shooting at 1/8, 1/15, what is the same on M10 cameras.

The M11 is not like the old Sony cameras shutter where the hole street would shake when you pressed the shutter on that 36MP sensor..

Haha well seen :D i'm indeed a Sony shooter but i shoot mostly, if not only, in "silent shutter" i.e. e-shutter mode so i know what my hands can do after 30+ years experience with Leica and non Leica cameras you can trust me. But whatever, why is it so difficult to answer my simple question? If the answer is obvious, so much the better. I just want to know the simple facts. So here we go again: Should i expect the same loss of acutance at 18 MP than that reported at 36MP by Sean Reid and, seemingly, other M11 users?

2 hours ago, lct said:

Sean Reid seems to have noticed a loss of precision in rendering of detail when the M11 is set to record medium DNGs instead of large DNGs. Did you happen to notice the same? Sorry if the topic has been treated already.

I shoot mainly at 60 and 18MP so I have limited experience with 36MP. My testing has been postponed due to the weather here. I can't print at the moment. I've had my annual rainfall in the last 10 days. 120mm (4 inches) last night alone. We're fine but hundreds of people's homes are damaged beyond repair on the east coast of Oz. Casually I've not noticed anything but I've also not had a few other glitches because my settings were different or I was shooting differently. Certainly there are a few software issue to be sorted so it wouldn't surprise me if this is one of them.

I have tested 18MP a lot and see nothing except the difference in resolution and a slight change in the noise floor, which is to be expected (a bit less noise at 18MP). The colours and tonality seems to be the same. At 60 and 18 the accutance is out of this world. The difference to the M10R is obvious with super high lenses like the APO50.

There's a few things I want to test. Primarily the long exposure system. But this damn rain........

I also don't have my EVF still. Must call and find out where it is.

Gordon

7 minutes ago, lct said:

Haha well seen :D i'm indeed a Sony shooter but i shoot mostly, if not only, in "silent shutter" i.e. e-shutter mode so i know what my hands can do after 30+ years experience with Leica and non Leica cameras you can trust me. But whatever, why is it so difficult to answer my simple question? If the answer is obvious, so much the better. I just want to know the simple facts. So here we go again: Should i expect the same loss of acutance at 18 MP than that reported at 36MP by Sean Reid and, seemingly, other M11 users?

So far I think the 18MP M11 files are better than the 24MP Panasonic S5 files. I don't have an SL2-S to test.

Gordon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

I have tested 18MP a lot and see nothing except the difference in resolution and a slight change in the noise floor, which is to be expected (a bit less noise at 18MP). The colours and tonality seems to be the same. At 60 and 18 the accutance is out of this world.

Thank you Gordon :) and all my wishes for your compatriots. 

13 minutes ago, lct said:

Should i expect the same loss of acutance at 18 MP than that reported at 36MP by Sean Reid and, seemingly, other M11 users?

Not sure what they are reporting, I only see differences in resolution.

I din't notice any problems in the 36mp version, I have sent you files in the past and they look very good. 

60Mp has more details due to higher MP

1 minute ago, Photoworks said:

Not sure what they are reporting [...]

I don't subscribe to Read reviews but i has been reported to me that he felt that switching the M11 from large DNG to medium DNG seems to not only make its files smaller but also slightly softer.

25 minutes ago, lct said:

I don't subscribe to Read reviews but i has been reported to me that he felt that switching the M11 from large DNG to medium DNG seems to not only make its files smaller but also slightly softer.

zoomed at 100% in capture one 18MP, 36MP, 60MP

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2022 at 7:34 AM, Photoworks said:

zoomed at 100% in capture one 18MP, 36MP, 60MP

Do you feel that there's any loss of accutance on 36mp compared to the other resolutions?

Gordon

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2022 at 11:34 AM, pgk said:

on another, different model of similar technical output.

That’s the point. The expression ‘that doesn’t make me a better photographer’ is way too general to be true. Here’s an example of an image which could only be that strong on MF. post #4476

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 4

On 2/24/2022 at 2:09 PM, Mr.Prime said:

I found the video to be an interesting perspective. It was enough to show that the M11 is not for me in its current form. Interesting also that he pointed to the M9 as a classic and despite it’s technically outdated specifications it is darn expensive if you want one with a fixed sensor.

Hmm. The M9 was my first digital M. I tried to love it but didn’t. Terrible high ISO, no live view, then I started getting red lines… The CCD “look” is much overhyped.  I sold it and didn’t re-enter digital M until the CL and then the SL2 and only then the M10R.

I have never missed the M9 for a single day.

Edited by SoarFM