Leica M11 and Hasselblad X1 Rendering Similarity

KenTanaka

6 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Agreed, which is why I always advocate that people do their own testing  and they do those comparisons at the OUTPUT level, not the input one or a normalised one.

One thing I find that shows more in print than on screen is banding. I hate banding....

Gordon

How would you compare cameras with different resolutions, e.g., M11 with GFX100S or the "upcoming X2D-100C"?

Edited by SrMi

3 hours ago, SrMi said:

How would you compare cameras with different resolutions, e.g., M11 with GFX100S or the "upcoming X2D-100C"?

Most of the time I don't think I can. I'll have a look if the resolutions are close (say a SL2 vs an A1 or X1D) but not when there's more thn about 25% difference in resolution. I'm interested in how my PenF looks at A3 and how my GFX looks at A0, not how they compare.

Generally I only look at increasing resolution to increase the size of my prints. So I look at prints (actually print samples) or files at a pixel level. With my 24" printer the biggest I shoot for is 24 x 65. My printer (Epson) dithers from a 360 ppi file. That's a 8640 pixel file on the short side. I don't take out my M11 to shoot those files, or I'll stitch to get that resolution. My interests in doing comparisons at A4 prints are nil, as that's generally not what I'm shooting for. I have always shot this way. So for MY workflow I test at a pixel level. All that happens as resolutions increase is that I need to take less images to composite.

When I shoot landscapes I would guess only about 1/2 of my images are made with a single shot.

So I wouldn't directly compare an M11 file with a GFX100S at different resolutions, as I'd either stich to get the higher resolution or take the GFX. This is also the same reasoning I have for liking the tri-resolution of the M11. I like I can switch to 18MP for general family photos. I'm not printing them to posters. So I like I can choose an appropriate resolution.

The exception to my own criteria is high res shot files. I would compare the SL2 in high res shot to the GFX after normalising the files to 100MP'ish as from my testing the high res shot on the SL2 doesn't quite get to the detail of a native 187MP file. It seems pretty close to the GFX100 to me.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Maybe. I don't normally find that posting *comparison* shots translates well to a computer screen. The differences I'm seeing are subtle. Comparisons usually are. Some won't be as picky as me. SOme screens will be biased in colour space or gamut or profile. Also their relevant to my workflow. I don't know if C1 will render the files differently. (Hence the good question about Phocus above). I'd also encourage others to do their own comparisons based on how they shoot. It's not likely, for example, I'll do anyhing over 1600ISO because I don't give a rats arse how the M11 does at 12500. My ultimate goal is to do prints at A1 or larger. My tests and observations will be biased towards that, which is irrelevant if you're goal is to output to Instagram.

Plus they're REALLY bad images. How many photos of a hedge does anyone really need to see. :)

Gordon

Fair enough. Just thought I would ask. I don't think there are more than a few running around with the M11 and the X1D and your observations are intriguing. 

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu3ACtBe7xUZUe4SDjsGvhg This guy is a bird shooting pro.  He has recently run an experiment comparing the micro 4/3 Olympus setup v a Sony A1 (he has both, but wants to go down to one system).   For medium-size prints (and web-size ones) it is hard to distinguish between the two systems.

(I agree, but only up to a point: the larger sensor will always have better low light performance.)

On 3/4/2022 at 1:36 AM, LBJ2 said:

Fair enough. Just thought I would ask. I don't think there are more than a few running around with the M11 and the X1D and your observations are intriguing. 

If I come up with any files that show a stark difference I'd post a link to the whole DNG, although I don't really have the band width for lots of downloads that size.

But what I'm seeing is subtle. Enough to make a choice on sensor grounds difficult. It, as usual, comes down to ergonomics, usability, lenses etc, rather than the cameras themselves.

Hopefully I'll get to do a long exposure test tonight. It'll be an awful shot, from my rear deck but there I can set up two tripods side by side and take the same exposure. Benn raining cats and dogs for weeks. Yesterday was the first sun in a long time.

Gordon

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the X1DII and just got a M11 and will also try to make some non-scientific comparisons as well.  I would be very happy if the M11 files look like the X1DII files, because the X1DII files are incredible - my favorite so far after years of using just about every manufacturer's cameras.  

• Like 7

• 2 months later...
On 3/3/2022 at 6:28 AM, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Most of the time I don't think I can. I'll have a look if the resolutions are close (say a SL2 vs an A1 or X1D) but not when there's more thn about 25% difference in resolution. I'm interested in how my PenF looks at A3 and how my GFX looks at A0, not how they compare.

Generally I only look at increasing resolution to increase the size of my prints. So I look at prints (actually print samples) or files at a pixel level. With my 24" printer the biggest I shoot for is 24 x 65. My printer (Epson) dithers from a 360 ppi file. That's a 8640 pixel file on the short side. I don't take out my M11 to shoot those files, or I'll stitch to get that resolution. My interests in doing comparisons at A4 prints are nil, as that's generally not what I'm shooting for. I have always shot this way. So for MY workflow I test at a pixel level. All that happens as resolutions increase is that I need to take less images to composite.

When I shoot landscapes I would guess only about 1/2 of my images are made with a single shot.

So I wouldn't directly compare an M11 file with a GFX100S at different resolutions, as I'd either stich to get the higher resolution or take the GFX. This is also the same reasoning I have for liking the tri-resolution of the M11. I like I can switch to 18MP for general family photos. I'm not printing them to posters. So I like I can choose an appropriate resolution.

The exception to my own criteria is high res shot files. I would compare the SL2 in high res shot to the GFX after normalising the files to 100MP'ish as from my testing the high res shot on the SL2 doesn't quite get to the detail of a native 187MP file. It seems pretty close to the GFX100 to me.

I'm curious as to which software you are using for stitching. This is an approach I am considering but want to get the workflow well dialed in. Seems there are a number of programs out there.

9 hours ago, jplomley said:

I'm curious as to which software you are using for stitching. This is an approach I am considering but want to get the workflow well dialed in. Seems there are a number of programs out there.

Nowdays, mostly I do it in Lightroom. The stitching improvements are enough that dropping into PTGui isn't really required anymore. Very occasionally it'll need a quick trip to Photoshop for a stitch line clean up.

Gordon

58 minutes ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Nowdays, mostly I do it in Lightroom. The stitching improvements are enough that dropping into PTGui isn't really required anymore. Very occasionally it'll need a quick trip to Photoshop for a stitch line clean up.

Gordon

I find this generally the case with continued LR improvements. Photoshop needed less and less. ImagePrint is the other foundational software in my editing and printing workflow.

Jeff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2022 at 5:44 AM, gmfotografie said:

so whats up guys? did you compare M11 to the x1dii ? 

To be honest, I haven't done a side by side comparison since I have only been taking my M11 with me the few places I have been. What I can say is that the M11 can produce stunning shots and I am not feeling I am giving up much by using it instead of my X1DII kit...but...part of me feels like the tonality/dimensionality of the X1DII files may be a bit more pleasing to my eye.  I really need to get out and finally do some side by side comparisons - if I do I will update this post. (I just haven't been shooting much due to work, lack of travel, etc.).