Fire-damaged Leica IIIc at Flints Auctions

nf3996

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I see a fire-damaged Leica IIIc is one of the lots at Flints Auctions this week - see https://www.flintsauctions.com/auction/lot/lot-574---a-fire-damaged-leica-iiic-rangefinder-camera/?lot=12761&so=0&st=Leitz Leica&sto=1&au=34&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=0&pp=50&pn=1&g=-1. It comes from a fire in 1990 at Russell's Camera West in Monterey, USA. To my eyes, it seems a right mess, and unrestorable. Am I wrong? What makes such a camera collectable?

Alan

• Like 1

vor 2 Minuten schrieb nf3996:

I see a fire-damaged Leica IIIc is one of the lots at Flints Auctions this week - see https://www.flintsauctions.com/auction/lot/lot-574---a-fire-damaged-leica-iiic-rangefinder-camera/?lot=12761&so=0&st=Leitz Leica&sto=1&au=34&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=0&pp=50&pn=1&g=-1. It comes from a fire in 1990 at Russell's Camera West in Monterey, USA. To my eyes, it seems a right mess, and unrestorable. Am I wrong? What makes such a camera collectable?

Alan

I don't know, perhaps the fire changed this poor Leica to a piece of art?
(A brother-in-law of mine owns a Leica III that looks similarly wrecked because he gave it to his kids to play in the sandpit.
And all this out of annoyance that his father was photographing him ad nauseam.)

£500 to £700 estimate is a bit rich for a conversation piece. However I did spot a very nice Olympus Pen F Gastrofibrescope outfit

https://www.flintsauctions.com/auction/lot/lot-99---an-olympus-gf-type-b2-gastrofibrescope-pen-f-outfit/?lot=12741&so=0&st=&sto=0&au=34&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=0&pp=48&pn=3&g=1

that would be ideal at parties or just for when you are feeling inquisitive.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, pedaes said:

Didn't they sell a fire damaged M for similar money a couple of years back.

If it came from US  interesting to know how HM Customs defined it - camera, art work, or junk?

Blame the Hindenburg, as mentioned above. The market will determine the price and I'm not suggesting that anyone should burn any or all of their Leicas for a quick buck.

I've just booked for TLS Buxton, Keith. Hope to see you there.

William 

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

40 minutes ago, pedaes said:

Didn't they sell a fire damaged M for similar money a couple of years back.

If it came from US  interesting to know how HM Customs defined it - camera, art work, or junk?

Yes, I think that I posted about it. And I'm still baffled by such items and their prices. There is no logic to such items that I can see.

• Like 1

If the camera were from Central Camera Co. in Chicago and benefitted them, I would consider bidding.  Central Camera was founded in 1899.  It was burned down in the protests and arson related to the George Floyd death.  It was one of the truly great camera stores remaining in the US.  I know that the family who has owned the store from the start is trying to rebuild.

I am not familiar with the Russell's Camera West fire.  I am also a bit confused because there seem to be two Camera West chains.  I had visited a Camera West store near Seattle years ago which was a small, rather average camera store.  It was part of a chain on the west coast.  Sean Cranor started his Camera West in downtown Monterey; I believe that was well after the fire that is reported in the auction.  I don't know if Sean bought the remains of Russell's Camera West or the assets of the chain that included the Seattle store.  Sean later moved the Monterey store to Rancho Mirage, CA, opened a second Camera West in Walnut Creek, CA, and then opened and runs the Leica Store in San Francisco.  Sean's stores are get; he is a pleasure to buy from.

If anyone else knows the complete story of "Camera West", Russell and Cranor, I sure would like to learn the correct story.  It might shed some light on why this camera is considered something other than junk.

15 hours ago, pedaes said:

Yes, we have booked after Tony's 'gee-up'! Hope Jim L makes it.

Congrats on new LHSA role which I have just seen in Viewfinder.

Thanks Keith. You probably know that the LHSA AGM will be held here in Dublin next October. I will post the dates and the other details on the Forum when they are finalised.  I am also leading an International Working Group with a view to making LHSA 'more international '. I look forward to discussing these and other issues with you in Buxton.

Just in case anyone thinks I am slacking, I became Chairperson of the Gallery of Photography, Ireland last month. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to continue taking photographs with all of the admin work I have taken on.

William 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, 250swb said:

£500 to £700 estimate is a bit rich for a conversation piece. However I did spot a very nice Olympus Pen F Gastrofibrescope outfit

https://www.flintsauctions.com/auction/lot/lot-99---an-olympus-gf-type-b2-gastrofibrescope-pen-f-outfit/?lot=12741&so=0&st=&sto=0&au=34&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=0&pp=48&pn=3&g=1

that would be ideal at parties or just for when you are feeling inquisitive.

You know where you can shove that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1