Any way to change Lens Detection after the fact?

RonSmith

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just got my M10 (my first digital Leica) a month ago, and have forgotten on a couple occasions to switch the manual lens detection setting when I've changed one of my 30+ year old M lenses.

Is there any way to modify the EXIF information after the fact to reflect the correct lens? 

Thanks!

Leica digital M cameras incorporate the lens edge color drift and vignetting corrections into sensor processing to create the DNG file. So while you can edit the lens details, the image will retain the original corrections. Post processing can still be applied for additional changes, but that starts on top of the in-camera changes.

• Like 1

I know it's not what you asked but it's easy to change the lens flange to one that has the 6 bit "indents" that you can dab some black paint into so the camera recognizes the lens.  I did this on three of my older lenses.  The flanges are typically Chinese and around 15 bucks on Ebay.

FWIW, if there is any concern re quality of the chinese flanges as far as machining accuracy, I checked the original Leica flanges and the Chinese flanges with a micrometer.  There was a slight variation in the Leica flange thickness when checked in 6 different spots.  There was NO variation in the Chinese flanges.

Edited by Mikep996

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use ExifTool (command line tool) on Mac before importing to Lightroom.

Thought I'd share my command:

exiftool -LensMake='Voigtländer' -Lens='Ultron-VM 1:2.0/28 ASPH.' -LensModel='Ultron-VM 1:2.0/28 ASPH.' *.DNG
exiftool '-DateTimeOriginal>FileModifyDate' *.DNG
Edited by insomnia
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...