Rattling noise inside camera???

Hi everyone. Also a new Q2 owner here.

I know this question has been discussed at length, but could I ask other members to give their camera a shake (while it’s off) and report back here? I’d like to know if ALL cameras do this, or just SOME?

Here is my dilemma: I purchased my first brand new Q2 a few days ago. It had a software issue out of the box and had to be replaced just after a couple of days. So now here I am with my replacement brand new Q2 and just noticed the lens rattle. And it’s driving me crazy. It’s driving me crazy because I don’t remember the first one doing that. It’s really loud and sounds cheap. I feel like I would have noticed it on the first one - but obviously being unaware of the whole thing I never verified it.

5 hours ago, like glass said:

Hi everyone. Also a new Q2 owner here.

I know this question has been discussed at length, but could I ask other members to give their camera a shake (while it’s off) and report back here? I’d like to know if ALL cameras do this, or just SOME?

Here is my dilemma: I purchased my first brand new Q2 a few days ago. It had a software issue out of the box and had to be replaced just after a couple of days. So now here I am with my replacement brand new Q2 and just noticed the lens rattle. And it’s driving me crazy. It’s driving me crazy because I don’t remember the first one doing that. It’s really loud and sounds cheap. I feel like I would have noticed it on the first one - but obviously being unaware of the whole thing I never verified it.

This is concerning for such an expensive, high-end camera. Please let me know what you decide to do. I agree. It does sound cheap. Besides this issue, how do you like the camera?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, Dob3rman said:

This is concerning for such an expensive, high-end camera. Please let me know what you decide to do. I agree. It does sound cheap. Besides this issue, how do you like the camera?

I absolutely love the images this camera produces. It’s amazing what it does with light. 

I am going to call Leica today to ask just how normal this is supposed to be. The noise is really hurting my experience, emotionally speaking.

4 hours ago, like glass said:

I absolutely love the images this camera produces. It’s amazing what it does with light. 

I am going to call Leica today to ask just how normal this is supposed to be. The noise is really hurting my experience, emotionally speaking.

Lol. Please let me know what they say. And I agree with the images from my Q2 mono

This has been an issue since the Leica Q type 116 came out.  It doesn't affect anything with the function of the camera but does alarm some new users.  I noticed it myself and worried a bit until I investigated on this site.

As for Leica responding to anyones complaints, they will probably just tell you not to shake the camera.  Or they might tell you that the new M11 doesn't make any noise but you might have trouble with sharp images at 1/focal length or slower speeds...something the OIS of the Q and Q2 will give you.

• Like 1

I ended up talking to someone at Leica yesterday and as expected they assured me this was normal. I also sent him a recording of mine, and he grabbed one of their Q2’s to compare and it was identical. At this point I’m just going to let it be.

Feels weird because I know that mechanical linkages like that will inevitably wear out. That glass element is clunking against a piece of metal with every step I take while the camera is in my neck. For a precision instrument like this camera, that’s a lot of uncertainty. 

Other than that, I’m still super excited every time I get to take out this camera on a shoot.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, like glass said:

Feels weird because I know that mechanical linkages like that will inevitably wear out.

FWIW my Q was purchased in 2015.   It often lives in a bag strapped to the back of a motorcycle.  The motorcycle is sometimes ridden on gravel or dirt roads that are anything but smooth.  Some of the paved roads aren't much better.  Lots of bumps and vibrations.  Anyway, no camera issues to date.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, LucasL said:

I know this is an older post. But I have the same rattle when the camera is on or off. Is that normal? Thanks for your input

If you read this string from start to finish, and search in the Q forum for “rattle” you will have your answer.