Now that you have your M11, What are the Pros & Cons?

Max EPR

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/23/2022 at 7:47 AM, oka said:

While I love all the technological advances M11 put on the table (most notably internal memory, great sensor (especially on high iso), battery life and usb-c support (I don't have to worry about chargers when traveling) but the working RF set's apart from the M10.

I've had 5 M10's and 4 of them were out of calibration out of the box. All 5 M10's needed regular RF calibration - after multiple calibration and RF unit replacement I gave up.

My both M11's had perfect RF, while it's only month of use, but they haven't started to drift.

I noticed that RF arm is slightly firmer on M11 than on M10's, I hope Leica has done reliability improvements on RF mechanism and on electronics which was another pitfall on M10 series.

RF calibration hassles are one major reason I’m moving on from M10. Almost made me give up on Leica.

On 2/23/2022 at 8:33 PM, oka said:

Yes RF depends on used lenses. If you're not using Summilux or Noctilux lenses, small drift is not noticeable.

Local dealer has noted that the service / warranty issues on Leica are many times higher than on Canon/Sony/Nikon cameras - personally I believe it's not a coincidence with the experience I have witnessed.

I had Canon system for a around 10 years, within the first year with Leica, bodies and lenses needed more service than I had experienced with Canon on 10 years. RF drift, sensor replacement, RF replacement, motherboard replacement, lens calibration, lens assembly, lens coating error etc.

BUT

SL system has been robust, I've had zero issues with the SL bodies and lenses (except on 24-90 which I bought used, which was "loose" - which seems to be quite common issue).

So true. When M gear is good it’s wonderful  - as at these prices it should be - but right out of the box too many QC issues arise. I am now on my third 28mm lens from my dealer that was put together by a lazy blind monkey. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2022 at 12:02 AM, tashley said:

So true. When M gear is good it’s wonderful  - as at these prices it should be - but right out of the box too many QC issues arise. I am now on my third 28mm lens from my dealer that was put together by a lazy blind monkey. 

What 28? On my case it was Summilux 28 which needed full reassembly.