Wartime Leica IIIc K

Can anyone direct me on how to contact Leica for the history of an old wartime Leica IIIc camera by serial number?  I’d like to know when it was shipped, delivered, whatever else may have been included with it.  Thanks everyone for any help!

Edited by doctorlebel

7 hours ago, doctorlebel said:

Can anyone direct me on how to contact Leica for the history of an old wartime Leica IIIc camera by serial number?  I’d like to know when it was shipped, delivered, whatever else may have been included with it.  Thanks everyone for any help!

6 hours ago, nitroplait said:
info@leica-camera.com

They may not be able to tell you any more than what you see on the internet serial number lists, but it is worth a try.

They will be able to say more. The enquiry should be made to that address info@leica-camera.com . For wartime cameras you also need to check the lists of military issue cameras such as Cane's. I have in the past been told that a grey paint IIIc of mine was Luftwaffe issue, but I did not believe this. A conversation with Jim Lager confirmed that I was correct about this.  

Most cameras from that time are recorded as going to Bln = Berlin, but there needs to be a military order number with that if it is to be considered to be a military camera.

On 2/16/2022 at 10:23 PM, doctorlebel said:

I would appreciate your comments regarding the Leica IIIc K, specifically, which shutter curtain would the letter “K” be stamped in White appear on?  The opening or closing curtain?  Thanks for your help.

The curtain that is visible when the camera is unwound. Some K marks are very faint due to years of wear.

William 

William 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, willeica said:

They will be able to say more...

In that case I mis-worded my statement. It should then read:

"They may not be able to tell you any more than what you see on the internet serial number lists, but it is worth a try."

When I inquired about my Leica II in an email including serial number and photo, they replied with a delivery date. No mention that the camera was delivered as a IA. In this case the internet list actually reveals more relevant information.

vor 8 Stunden schrieb willeica:

The curtain that is visible when the camera is unwound

sorry William, but I think that this is opening curtain that is stamped, opening curtain is visible when camera is wound. Left is K shutter that i had on my table some time ago, right is a copy from literature

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

My IIIc K should be arriving in a few days.  I’ll confirm if the opening curtain has a “K” stamped on it, and I’ll also share a picture of it here.  The Leica IIIf RD has 12-1mm balls in the main drum race, but from Jerzy’s picture above, it looks like a IIIc K has many balls in different locations.  

49 minutes ago, jerzy said:

sorry William, but I think that this is opening curtain that is stamped, opening curtain is visible when camera is wound. Left is K shutter that i had on my table some time ago, right is a copy from literature

Thanks Jerzy. I am sure you are right.  However, my IIIcK, which is genuine and was checked out with Archives, has a faint K on the curtain when unwound. No K when wound.

While we are discussing this, my grey IIIc (no K) was described by the Archives as having gone to the Luftwaffe, but it is not in Cane's list. I discussed it with Jim Lager and we both agreed that it had gone to Berlin, but there was no evidence that the destination was military. 

Here are the two cameras together, IIIcK in front. 

I did not buy the IIIcK as a military camera, but it had been sold before as a military camera. My grey IIIc came with a flash base which has to be removed and replaced before it can be used. This does not bother me as I got that camera for an 'attractive' price.

For what it is worth, I don't collect military cameras, but I know that a lot of other collectors like to do this. My only other war-time IIIc is a chrome one with a red shutter. I feel that I have covered that period with my 3  IIIcs.

William 

12 minutes ago, doctorlebel said:

Can anyone please share the link to Caine’s list if it’s available?  I appreciate all the help!

It's in a book produced by Dr Luigi Cane, working with Lars Netopil,  for the German Leica Historica Society. It is not available online and I think it is out of print. When you get your camera you should check it with info@leica-camera.com and if you send me the details by PM I will tell you whether it is on Cane's list, which I have. Lars has told me that if it is on Cane's list it is definitely military, but if it is not, you may be able to confirm this by other means, but you need a source that was contemporary with the camera's early days. I hope this makes sense

William 

Edited by willeica

vor 6 Stunden schrieb willeica:

However, my IIIcK, which is genuine and was checked out with Archives, has a faint K on the curtain when unwound.

apology William for I correcting you before but until now I saw it only on opening, you never learn out 🙂

• Thanks 1

vor 7 Stunden schrieb doctorlebel:

The Leica IIIf RD has 12-1mm balls in the main drum race

IIIf has alltogether 4 bearings: the one your mentioned above, another one on upper part of main drum (it is in  a cage) and additionally 2 bearings for one gear (one bearing visible on the photo below) within film transport. Reason for having 2 bearings there is that this gear rotates when the first curtain travels, any obstacle impacts exposure time

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

IIIcK have additionally 3 bearings on small drums (one drum has only one bearing). But not every K ist the same - WH series have additionaly bearings on wind and rewind

• 5 months later...

just found this Leica IIIC K on Gumtree here in Australia - below is the link.

Can people outside of Australia access this

Not sure if it's genuine but the grey repaint job (with the german cross) is so horrid/sad - what a waste IMHO if it is indeed a genuine K IIIC

The K stamp on the curtain is very prominent (maybe too prominent) - what do others think?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/south-brisbane/collectables/leica-iiic-k-repainted-gray-35mm-rangefinder-film-camera-body-only/1298622293

• 5 months later...

I also have a IIIc gray ‘k’ and contacted Leica at Info@leica-camera.com. They replied within a few days and provided the day, month and year camera was delivered but did not have any information on where or to whom it was delivered. They also mentioned there were no maintenance records.

On numerous websites, the serial number on my camera suggests a manufacture date between 1943-46 but the date provided by Leica was August 1941, two years earlier than all other online serial number websites.

They were also able to confirm it was a legitimate ‘K’

• Like 1