Problems getting sharp images by 60MP

TrickyMrT

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,
Who else has also had issues getting sharp images handheld @ 60MP? 
I'm only to get sharp images at a Shutterspeed of 1/250!

So is 60MP too much for an M system. With my M10 24MP, i can shoot by much lower Shutterspeed 1/30 and get sharp images.

I also tried to reduce it to 18MP, but no difference. 

Is anyone here with the same experience?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am setting my auto iso from iso 64 - 12,500. Shutter speed minimum 1/250. Below 1/250 i have had a few blurry shots, so i keep it like this to avoid that risk. 

Basically…with the M9 I could shoot a 35mm at 1/30 without blurry shots, now with the M11 I can do it at 1/250 (that’s 1/60, 1/25, 1/250 so 3 stops difference)

In reality, the M9 ISO was good up to 800…but with the slower shutter speeds, we get 3 stops advantage VS M11 (so if we put it in ISO terms, that’s 1600, 3200, 6400) 

In total, the M9 VS M11 is only one or two stops difference or so if we put the blurriness into account…

But of course, it’s better to have a blurry shot than no shot at all…so if needed i will shoot the M11 below 1/250 if that means it’s the only way to get the shot. 

Edited by shirubadanieru
  • Like 1

60MP for street! Absolutely ludicrous and unnecessary. Creates far more problems then it solves. This is a stills camera meant for a tripod at that resolution. Why do you think the grip has an integrated Area Swiss design....Leica has absolutely lost the plot for which the M camera was designed. 

Edited by jplomley
  • Like 18
  • Haha 1

I can shoot the M9 easily at 1/30 when needed. If I take my time and stay still, the M11 would work at 1/60 I guess…with the M11 it doesn’t matter if you set it at L / M / S DNG when it comes to blurriness.

But anyway, for street you want to be shooting at 1/1000 and F8, so motion blur should be the least of your concerns for street photography. But for night time without a tripod, or indoors..it is not ideal. I’d much rather have a 32MP or something sensor as the default

I guess that I am lucky...😅

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

@Erato   But I support your point. I have no problems whatsoever. But we have to accept that one needs a very steady hand. Some might have problems with that high amount of pixels. That is why this is a big theme everywhere. Probably more a problem in social media than in reality.

Edited by M11 for me
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, M11 for me said:

@Erato   But I support your point. I have no problems whatsoever. But we have to accept that one needs a very steady hand. Some might have problems with that high amount of pixels. That is why this is a big theme everywhere. Probably more a problem in social media than in reality.

Maybe we're lucky enough...

More reference...

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb TrickyMrT:

Hi,
Who else has also had issues getting sharp images handheld @ 60MP? 
I'm only to get sharp images at a Shutterspeed of 1/250!

So is 60MP too much for an M system. With my M10 24MP, i can shoot by much lower Shutterspeed 1/30 and get sharp images.

I also tried to reduce it to 18MP, but no difference. 

Is anyone here with the same experience?

Which shutter do you use? The "normal/mechanical" or the electronic one? The same problem was with the SL with some lenses (100-400mm sigma). The electronic one is like a small IBIS. Perhaps try this one at lower shutter speeds.

Erato pictures don’t look particularly sharp to me, now I don’t know if that’s this forums fault on how it compresses photos or if it’s because he shot handheld at 1/30 ahaha :p either way, the M11 (and for that matter the M10M and M10R) are definitely easier to get blurry shots than the M9 / M240 / M10 where this was not even a problem you had to think about. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

No more problem with the M11 than anything else.  Shoot at 38 or even 18, if its problem.  If shooting street and concerned about shake, use either the 38 or 18Mpx mode.  Upsizing those files isn't a problem. 

Here's a 100% crop from an 18Mpx file scaled 200% in PS (~70 Mpx 10544x6996):

• Like 1

Original pre-scalling:

28mm 'lux

• Like 2

I do not (yet) have an M11.  But I do shoot with an M10R, an SL2, a Sony A7 R4, and even higher res cams.  Honestly, the likelihood of getting a “sharp” casual handheld image at such high resolutions is doubtful without some form of image stabilization.  With a completely passive camera like the M11 (or even the M10R) my experience tells me to use the manual shutter control at the highest practical speed if I  need a truly “sharp” image.  Or a tripod.  And forget the rangefinder in favor of electronic aids (peaking, focus magnification) if you’re over 30 or have consumed more than two cups of caffeinated coffee within 8 hours prior to shutter release.

As an aside, is razor-sharpness what you really want? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

But anyway, for street you want to be shooting at 1/1000 and F8, 

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. This would make for the most consistently boring photographs, but honestly, and sadly, that's what Leica cameras seem to have come down to as it is. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, lct said:

Would anyone care to confirm that point? Just curious.

For you man, I gave it a try. My conclusion... I'm not a robot. I can't trust that every shutter press is carried out exactly the same, especially at low speed, so it's not possible to make a meaningful comparison of slow shutter speed across different files sizes. If I had to guess, contrary to what I suggested above, AFAICT there's little to no advantage to shooting at lower res, but if your concerned about it, I'd lower the res just to be safe, especially as we expect an extra stop or so which potentially would allow one to shoot at double the shutter speed. 

9 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

For you man, I gave it a try. My conclusion... I'm not a robot. I can't trust that every shutter press is carried out exactly the same, especially at low speed, so it's not possible to make a meaningful comparison of slow shutter speed across different files sizes. If I had to guess, contrary to what I suggested above, AFAICT there's little to no advantage to shooting at lower res, but if your concerned about it, I'd lower the res just to be safe, especially as we expect an extra stop or so which potentially would allow one to shoot at double the shutter speed. 

Nothing scientific but just to check if a pic somewhat blurry at 60 MP may become somewhat sharper at 18MP all things equal more or less. I mean at same shutter speed as focal length for reference. Sorry to bother you but i feel hard to believe that low res doesn't bring anything useful but saving space on SD cards