Help with making a decision

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 21 Stunden schrieb hirohhhh:

@LocalHero1953 Thanks for sharing your story. I appreciate when someone who was shooting film for the entire life embraces digital for the practical reasons.

@MikeN I can't agree more. The main reason, other than the look of the film, is that I really want to learn to shoot with film.

@Helge I see your point, and there's probably no reasonable answer to why would I want to have all my negatives in my Lightroom library, but being only a digital shooter, it comes natural to me. If it's not in the library, it doesn't exist :)

@giannis Exactly my thought, and the reason why I want to buy an M film camera. Rollieflex is a completely different experience just holding it.

There are two types of cameras which I use the most: Leica M ( mostly M2 and M6) and Rolleiflex/ Rolleicord. It´s hard to compare. The M is quicker, more usable for snapshots.

I love using it with a 50 and a 21 straying through a city.

But the 6x6 is absolutely stunning when it comes down to image quality. A well exposed neg or even slide out of a Rolleiflex is something different.

A Rolleicord Vb has a quite bright screen, is lightweight and the Xenar is a stunning lens. So this is the best compromise due to weight/ dimensions/ image quality in my opinion.

What I hardly use is a analog camera with electronics. So my EOS 30 and my F5 are very lonely at home...  🙂

23 hours ago, malligator said:

For your second question about scanning...I absolutely hate it. If there is anything that's going to make me give up film it will be scanning. I'm taking a darkroom class next month so I can wet print my B&W images which is what I wanted to do since I picked up film. I will probably start sending my color film to a lab so they can scan it. I started shooting film to get away from the computer. Scanning has turned out to be much more tedious than post-processing digital images. I'm doing my best to get away from it.

I don't personally find scanning that bad, although I don't use scans to make prints - only digital contact sheets and sharing on social media - so I'm not too concerned about the quality of the scans.  My Epson flatbed scanner is pretty slow, but I load two strips of six 35mm negatives at a time and go do something else until it's time to load the next batch.  Prints are made in the darkroom where they belong ;)  

• Like 1

I shoot film for many years. Later I started shooting digital mainly because of work. From my experience shooting digital my film photography has improved, perhaps even vice-versa. So I’m happy to shoot both.