Here’s a very oddball question: GFX 100S or M10-R (or even M10-P)? Hear me out…

Sunyforreal

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/11/2022 at 10:42 PM, slimsnapped said:

Having shot the X1D/ii and M-10R, when it comes to color rendition, rendering, etc, which takes the upper hand? More specifically in portraits to your eye. 

I have never used an M camera.. do not have an M-10R, so can't speak for that. X1D on the other hand is quite an awesome camera. If one can get past the slowness of the interface, it can be a really good camera. IQ wise, it is definitely superior to FF systems. While the color is nice, I prefer the look from my Leica SL2 for portraits. X1D files are a bit yellow/orange to my liking with RAW auto WB.. not the case with SL2. for portraits, I would pick up my SL2 and/or GFX100s

First, remember that you can adapt your Pentax 67 lenses to the GFX. I regularly use Pentax 645 lenses on my GFX 50R with a Fotodiox adapter (manual focus only). Novoflex makes a very nice GFX adapter for Pentax 67 lenses (https://www.novoflex.de/en/products-637/lens-adapters/adapterfinder/adapter-pentax-67-lenses-to-fuji-g-mount-cameras.html?rgerg=40l).

I also have a M10-R. It's hard to compare the output, exactly -- the cameras get used for very different purposes -- and, of course, the GFX 100S would have twice the resolution of my 50R. That said: the size and bulk of the 50R/GFX lenses is hard to justify for me most of the time. In general, I find that the M10R files are very competitive with the GFX 50R up to at least A3+ print sizes. 

Feel free to DM me if you'd like to discuss further.

SunyForreal, I’m interested to know what your scanned 6x7 files are like for your car photography as it might help us work out which system you’re considering is the better one for you? Are they 16bit per colour tiff with >65Mpixel resolution and >400MByte files that you might get from a Hasselblad X5? What is the noise like on the shiny black cars at 100% view? What film did you shoot? Fuji Provia 100F?

I used to kid myself that my Minolta 5400 scanner could give my Provia scans the 37Mpixel output but even with Leica M glass and flat Provia film strips the real resolution of the final result was probably 1/4 I.e 9Mpixels. The noise level was also an issue as the scanner is from 2003.

the lens, film, scanner are each lowpass filters. If you are used to LeicaM then the M10R will be an amazing jump in quality probably even against the 6x7 depending on the noise of your usual scan file, but certainly an easier work flow.

can you post a 100% crop of a part of your 6x7 car shots?

my Leica M10 with Lightroom on my iMAC gives great performance directly on the raw dng files the noise is definitely better than my M7 Provia scans.

id go for M10R as already have the lenses.

Lincoln

• Like 1

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/2857914247/leica-apo-summicron-m-35mm-f2-asph-sample-gallery/0459155037

This post might end up costing me £12-13K as i might have to get this kit one day as it puts the excellent M10 with 35 summiluxasph fle to a level below the M10R Apo-Asph summicron 35mm. I think the new 35APO is even better than the 50APO?

Oh Lordy those samples of M10R and the Apo-summicron 35Asph are astounding. It might be because i view using an iMAC or iPadPro both with retina displays so 100% crop is >250ppi but I cant see any artefacts, the edges are just smooth gradation (no oversharp edges). The front of the beetle is like being there in person, in fact if i was there my eyes can’t see that close up. The other shots around Gas Works Park, Seattle are equally impressive. One of the shots at F6.8 seemed to be equally sharp for the people sitting on the grass as the boats and buildings 2km away.

I have in the past tested the 50APO on an M10 against my 50 summicron, and on a bright day I really could not tell the difference between the two lenses. I can tell the difference between my 35f2asph v 35f1.4summiluxasphfle especially at f5.6 where the fle has excellent correction, its just the next gen on from the 35Asph which was developed during film days. The new Apo-Asph 35mm summicron seems to be the next step on from the 35fle and a camera like M10R seems to be able to show that.

Again my recommendation seems to be M10R and I might have to get one myself. just when I thought  I was settled for life with M10+35summilux FLE. This is a costly forum. :) 

• Like 1

JMHO but a lot of your decision rests on whether or not you make very large prints. 

If you want to print larger than 2x3 feet, get the Fuji GFX.  If you are not going to use it for mountaineering photography.

If you are only going to share your images by electronic means, an M-P 240 is more than up to the task; it can also produce exhibit quality prints at 2x3 feet.

Or you could get the M11, knowing that the 60mp sensor will do anything and everything you need, particularly when paired with Leica APO lenses.

10 hours ago, Summilux-asph said:

Yes that too. 

At this point there are a ton of raw files you can download from all these cameras. So you can play around with them in your computer and see. I downloaded a raw file from a GFX once and that wasn’t fun. It was humongous. 

While the M11 has a rather large and vocal community of malcontents on our forum, its 60mp sensor makes the Fuji GFX 100S a "want" more than a "need." 

Unless you are going to be making life size prints of the Antonov An-225 Mriya, that is.

• Like 1