Jump to content

Here’s a very oddball question: GFX 100S or M10-R (or even M10-P)? Hear me out…


Sunyforreal
 Share

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A bit of background:

I currently have two cameras I predominantly shoot: a Leica M7 and a Pentax 67II. I tend to really love using my Pentax for automotive photography (something I’m pretty into) because of its resolution, and use the M7 for everything else (the Pentax is a monster to carry around!). I have also dabbled with digital in the form of a XT-4 which I liked but didn’t love. 
 

Now lately the cost of shooting film has been getting a bit crazy- with the cost of shooting, developing and scanning film (medium format film in particular), I’ve been thinking of moving away from the 67II. Which is a shame because I love the results that camera produces. Now here’s the oddball question: to replace it, I’ve been thinking of getting a GFX 100S to do the same thing I did with the 67II, automotive photography (and also maybe dabble into other ventures with it). I really like the look of film and the 100S will obviously provide me with MORE than enough resolution while also providing a SOOC look reminiscent of film, and is smaller and more versatile than the Pentax as well. But for the cost of the GFX 100S and a GF 80mm f1.7 or 110mm f2, I could get a M10-R to do the “resolution” thing and right off the bat already have lenses for that system. 
 

My question is if you were in my shoes, which would you pick? Or would you suggest something entirely different? I’m thinking I may get some suggestions to get an SL2, and although that camera is great, for not much more money (talking used here) I could get a camera with more than twice the resolution. I’m mainly considering the M10-R because I already have native lenses and because I obviously love rangefinders. 
 

What are your recommendations? Feel free to tell me if I’m being silly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Sunyforreal said:

I really like the look of film and the 100S will obviously provide me with MORE than enough resolution while also providing a SOOC look reminiscent of film, and is smaller and more versatile than the Pentax as well. But for the cost of the GFX 100S and a GF 80mm f1.7 or 110mm f2, I could get a M10-R to do the “resolution” thing and right off the bat already have lenses for that system. 

how will the m10-r with its 35mm sensor, give you the same result as the GFX100 MF sensor?

its not all about MP, but also the sensor size

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, frame-it said:

how will the m10-r with its 35mm sensor, give you the same result as the GFX100 MF sensor?

its not all about MP, but also the sensor size

Fuji MF is only a MF crop and honestly isn’t that much bigger than full frame digital. I mean it’s not like we’re talking about 6x7 film negative size here lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sunyforreal said:

Fuji MF is only a MF crop and honestly isn’t that much bigger than full frame digital. I mean it’s not like we’re talking about 6x7 film negative size here lol

I used a Leica S2 for several years along side a M (9, MM and 10). 24x36 vs 30x45. While the math says it is not much of a difference the MF files really stand out for their depth of tones and the richness of color. Yet I preferred to use the M cameras in the field for their size and weight. The S2 quickly became a studio queen.

Choosing between the two would be a difficult decision. Might I suggest getting a nice used M10 AND a GFX 50S II for about the same investment?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You can rent the GFX 100S and/or M10-R and see results for yourself…. in print, hopefully.   Or get loaners from friendly dealers.  Why guess, or rely on surveys? For me, there’s also a lot more than IQ to assess, much of which can only be known by handing using your own workflow.

Jeff

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sunyforreal said:

Fuji MF is only a MF crop and honestly isn’t that much bigger than full frame digital. I mean it’s not like we’re talking about 6x7 film negative size here lol

if that's what you think, then avoid the fuji, and get a phase one IQ4 150 OR stick with the Leica M series 😇

Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, mediumformula said:

Or you could try a smaller medium format film camera like a Rolleiflex.  That won't solve the film cost issues but they are really compact and fun to shoot with compared to a large Pentax. 

I’ve played around some Rolleis but never gone out shooting with one. I’ve heavily considered getting a 3.5F a while back but preferred the 6x7 aspect ratio. They’re beautiful cameras but it wouldn’t be able to replace the Pentax with how I use it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuji for the excellent focus pealing, reliable control of the reflections on the shining surfaces through the EVF, close up work and real estate of the bigger sensor. 
 

Profile your camera to the light with a color checker and your colors will be correct. Or you can play with the film simulation. 
 

Edited by ynp
Link to post
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, frame-it said:

if that's what you think, then avoid the fuji, and get a phase one IQ4 150 OR stick with the Leica M series 😇

I can’t afford the Phase One but I’d gladly use it if you purchased it for me 😇

in all seriousness I didn’t mean to come off in saying there was “no” or “nearly no” difference between the Fuji and a full frame camera. As @Printmaker mentioned there is a tonality and color difference to MF (and especially to that wonderful sensor in the 100S) that almost makes it feel not digital. I just wonder if maybe it’s a bit overkill for me. The GFX50SII suggestion is a good one. Although I wonder if I had that camera if I would long for the phase detect auto focus the 100S has. It’s funny how I don’t think about those things when shooting a rangefinder lol.

@Jeff S renting is a great idea as well and I may do that. Thought I’d make a post just to see what thoughts you all may have on the subject!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got the 100s, X1D, S007, SL2, Sony a1, Canon R3, Nikon Z7, S1R and more.. 😌

I would be comfortable picking any of the above to shoot what you intend to shoot! They all provide the resolving power and so do the modern lenses that accompany those cams.. 

my first choice would be something with a tilt screen for this genre of photography as I’d assume you might be getting down to the ground several times? 
considering you’re replacing a MF 6x7 format.. the closest thing digital has is 33x44 unless you’re looking at a different league of niche cams like the phase one. That means, your replacement is 100s just as you considered this a viable option. Anyway, I guess the Pentax 67ii could sell for $3k? 100s body is $6K and another $2.3K for the lens you want.. that’s a lot of money for developing film 😌

dont forget the super sophisticated computer you might need to process those big files from the 100s

Edited by aksclix
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sunyforreal said:

I can’t afford the Phase One but I’d gladly use it if you purchased it for me 😇

in all seriousness I didn’t mean to come off in saying there was “no” or “nearly no” difference between the Fuji and a full frame camera.

For e.g. do you feel there is no difference between the size of the SL2 and S3 sensor and the images they respectively generate?

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 2/13/2022 at 10:28 PM, aksclix said:

I’ve got the 100s, X1D, S007, SL2, Sony a1, Canon R3, Nikon Z7, S1R and more.. 😌

I would be comfortable picking any of the above to shoot what you intend to shoot! They all provide the resolving power and so do the modern lenses that accompany those cams.. 

my first choice would be something with a tilt screen for this genre of photography as I’d assume you might be getting down to the ground several times? 
considering you’re replacing a MF 6x7 format.. the closest thing digital has is 33x44 unless you’re looking at a different league of niche cams like the phase one. That means, your replacement is 100s just as you considered this a viable option. Anyway, I guess the Pentax 67ii could sell for $3k? 100s body is $6K and another $2.3K for the lens you want.. that’s a lot of money for developing film 😌

dont forget the super sophisticated computer you might need to process those big files from the 100s

Having shot the X1D/ii and M-10R, when it comes to color rendition, rendering, etc, which takes the upper hand? More specifically in portraits to your eye. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am with Jeff. You need to try them. The gfx is probably close to the pentax regarding handling but the output might not be what you like as the sensor is so much smaller than the 6x7 format.

 I was doubting to let my gfx(50r) go and buy the m11, but till now I am not convinced. Bought a m10 instead.

Gfx for tripod work and m10 for capturing life.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I own a SL2, an M10R and also a Leica S007 and if you have the chance and to decide what is best for you I would recommend you to try, to test, the Leica S 007 because it has the ability to produce images that are truly a step forward in my opinion. I was fascinated by it. By purchasing a body + a lens and with the current prices of the second-hand S you will surely spend less than for a new M10R. And it's also a SLR with a fantastic viewfinder.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. I'm been using the M10 and GFX 50R. I occasionally interchange between the two. The latter is obviously more demanding in terms of weight/hiking trails. For that reason, I sometime take the M10 with the 21, 28, 50 and 90 vs the 50R with the 45-100 /100-200. Personally (I'm an enthusiastic amateur), I find the M10 images more "natural looking" /aesthetically pleasing. So I'm using the M10 kit a lot more ie 70%.

Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...