Have m246 but still curious about m9m

Crowmagnon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Just bought m246 from keh felt solid and denser compared to my m9, Once i hold it, felt like a tool that actually made to be used on a rugged terrain. M9 for daytime  and m246 for the night like the combo. BUT I'm still curious about m9m.  Either it's way too overpriced or m246 depreciated enough now they both are at the same price range. I was on the hunt for m9m since I already have m9 I could use the same batteries. But my m9 had a shutter fault after 2 days of purchase, around 2020 had to replace it with new one from leica. So when I saw m246 on keh this time I just listened to my brain I went for it. 

Lol but still... I'm curious about m9m.hahha 

Edited by Crowmagnon
Missed some details

😇such is life.

I began with Monochrom MM1 (logic after using M9 and M246 not on the market yet).

So when I could find M246 at right price, I bought one.

- M246 is more modern in use

- MM1 has nothing to be desire from M246, if I look at results

- I use one of these interchangeabily/happily without one second regret

- if photography is important (it is for me) each Monochrom is fantastic tool for creation

- with M246, no fear of future corrosion of sensor

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have used the M9M, the M246 and now the M10M.  Each does well from its time, but using the next one up spoils the older body.  The tones are fantastic, the biggest difference is dynamic range.  I don’t blow the highlights with the M10M.  Also, the higher ISO is better (as a result of higher dynamic range).  I’ve printed 17x22 from ISO 50,000 on the M10M and its a little grainy, but much better than film at that size…. If you have the M246, the M9M is not nearly as fun….  IMHO

Edited by davidmknoble

44 minutes ago, davidmknoble said:

.... I don’t blow the highlights with the M10M....

That would be nice.

I don't recall highlights being as much of an issue with my M9M as it is now with my M246. Being attentive to highlights is an overarching matter with this camera. A bit distracting, actually, to always have to be so concerned with it. 

I still prefer the M246 and certainly wouldn't feel any need to own both.

Incidentally, Leica Store Miami now lists an M9M for $4300. That's more than they ask for the M246..

John

Edited by johnwolf

1 hour ago, johnwolf said:

Incidentally, Leica Store Miami now lists an M9M for $4300. That's more than they ask for the M246..

It only has 2141 actuations, new CCD and extra battery.  They evaluated mine by description a few months ago (5682 actuations, new CCD, extra battery and Leica thumb rest) for $3800+.  (All their M9 based cameras for sale have the new CCD sensor.)

I’ve been using the M10 Monochrom for a while now, but still haven’t decided if I want to part with the M Monochrom.  The M10 platform is clearly more modern (quieter, slimmer, 2m frame lines, better VF, etc), but the MM still produces terrific files.  An underrated feature in the MM, not repeated in any other M, is a RAW based histogram.  It’s a nice tool for evaluating highlights, which apparently has been troublesome for some M246 users.

Jeff

• Like 3

I think Jeff is right not selling original Monochrom.

The RAW based histogram served me well to learn and love this slow CCD sensor, even now that we know

each other very well, in tricky lighting I do use this histogram for peace of mind.

I regret that Leica didn't add this RAW based histogram in M246.

In real life use, and after learning the Monochrom/M246, I can NOT tell which is which picture taken (only the difference in file size 18M/24M can do ).

These Monochroms are great and the limiting factor is me.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, johnwolf said:

That would be nice.

I don't recall highlights being as much of an issue with my M9M as it is now with my M246. Being attentive to highlights is an overarching matter with this camera. A bit distracting, actually, to always have to be so concerned with it. 

I still prefer the M246 and certainly wouldn't feel any need to own both.

John

@johnwolf I agree with @Jeff S about the M9M at LSM.  I actually considered getting it because I really enjoyed the M9M, and if I were shooting controlled lighting i would have.  But the dynamic range (and extra battery chargers) kept me away.  The M246 is a steller black and white camera and some of my best work has still come from that camera over the M10M.  But, I had to expose such that the image was dark and bring the shadows up to do so, depending on the lighting.  I set my meter to EV -1/3 or -2/3 for general work.  

I don't know how long you have used the M246, but with each monochrom, I set up a tripod, and used a grey scale patch just leaned up against a pair of bottles outside on my deck.  I took a range of exposures from EV+2 to EV-4 at the lowest ISO and then tried to do the same at a mid ISO and one ISO from the top (so the M10M goes to ISO 100,000 and I used ISO 50,000).

I found different results from each monochrom, but in general with the M246 boosting the shadows really high in lightroom with EV -1 an EV-1.5 was not a problem in lower ISO's.  I found with all the Monochroms that the highest ISO's were best exposed at EV 0 and the shadows brought down just a little reducing the noise somewhat.  Opening shadows at the highest ISO was not as pleasing unless you love shooting Ilford 1600 at 3200 or 6400 (i.e. grainy).

So if you find you play too much with exposure, you can consider trying to find your sweet spot and set the EV to that spot for you.  It still makes a difference where you meter, and i"m old school and try to find a grey color to meter on regardless of the scene, even using caucasian skin and opening 1 stop.

For thsoe that care, I have had sucess bringing the M10M shadows up from EV-2, but it always depends on the brightness range.  If its a dull drab overcast day, I shoot more like EV-1/3.

Ultimately, I treat it like film in reverse.

8 hours ago, Jeff S said:

It only has 2141 actuations, new CCD and extra battery.  They evaluated mine by description a few months ago (5682 actuations, new CCD, extra battery and Leica thumb rest) for $3800+.  (All their M9 based cameras for sale have the new CCD sensor.)

I’ve been using the M10 Monochrom for a while now, but still haven’t decided if I want to part with the M Monochrom.  The M10 platform is clearly more modern (quieter, slimmer, 2m frame lines, better VF, etc), but the MM still produces terrific files.  An underrated feature in the MM, not repeated in any other M, is a RAW based histogram.  It’s a nice tool for evaluating highlights, which apparently has been troublesome for some M246 users.

Jeff

@Jeff SI had trouble making up my mind as well.  I actually 'pre ordered' my M10M when the M10 came out, knowing it would eventually be there, so I had a very early full produciton copy.  For me personally, I have the M10M and the M10-D and I do not want multiple battery chargers, so I have 4 M batteries and two cameras that take them, and a RRS bracket to fit them both. So I just wanted minimal accessories to take with me when using them...  LOL part of my desire on the M10 series was that it was about the same size as my M3 and MP's so everything is about the same size now.  Might be silly, but I'm really happy where I am.  Now, and M11M?  Hmmm that could be interesting.

What I really wish is that the SL and S took the same battery, that would make life much easier!

• 5 months later...
6 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Congrat for your decision @Crowmagnon.

Some would see CCD/CMOS differences, not me ...I look more farer than that, and happy to do so for many years.

Anyway now you can use them along for a while, then your decision for sand or ice.

I still can not choose only one.

I think 🤔 I'm gonna keep them both lol. I use M246 for traveling those huge batteries high iso  and quiter  shutter are way too useful. M9m is more for home friends family kinda use. Kids love the sound of clunk shutter noise they are so excited to learn about a real camera than there phone. And the files are more pleasing on the skin.

Edited by Crowmagnon
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Used M9M for years, than 246 for 1 year and went back to M9M. M9M files look different with the same lens. Of course, you can adjust everything in post, but the CCD files do deliver different tones. With will do the job, its nice to have choices and I am happy with M9M.

Summilux 35 ASPH (pre FLE)

• Like 4

Here is another example (Bokeh), CCD with Summilux 50 ASPH, ISO 1600 wide open

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve acquired all the monochroms in the following order: M246, M10M, M9M black, M9M silver.  The latter two are unique CCD ones (updated sensors) and will never be repeated, the silver one is very rare.  They all render differently.  M246 is the only native B&W rangefinder movie camera.  Every single one is fun.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 7:53 PM, setuporg said:

I’ve acquired all the monochroms in the following order: M246, M10M, M9M black, M9M silver.  The latter two are unique CCD ones (updated sensors) and will never be repeated, the silver one is very rare.  They all render differently.  M246 is the only native B&W rangefinder movie camera.  Every single one is fun.

yup ..... there were a few of us managed to get a bespoke special order silver version before Leica stopped being co-operative about customers particular requirements.

I regret selling it ...... a bit ..... but at the time it just wasn't getting enough use to justify keeping it.

I now (as of a month ago) have an M10M specifically for low light use and moody crap weather landscapes. 

Should have really kept the old one. :(

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, colint544 said:

Hope you're getting on with your M9M as well as your M246. I have an M9M, had it more than ten years, and I still think it's quite special.

Here's a shot I took with the M9M and 28mm Summicron, at base ISO. It's my girlfriend's horse. He had got very old and frail, and there was no way around the fact that he would have to be put down. He couldn't lie down, or get up off the ground if he fell. She wanted a last picture of him, so we went up to the field on the afternoon of his last day before the vet came. We turned him into the late afternoon sun so it shone along his flank and put a catchlight in his eye. You can see that he's very old.

The picture is on the wall of the spare room, printed A2 size. The detail and tonality in the print are remarkable. The M9M is still a tremendous camera.

That's an awsome shot. Like the way the horse lite up from the background 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, colint544 said:

Hope you're getting on with your M9M as well as your M246. I have an M9M, had it more than ten years, and I still think it's quite special.

Here's a shot I took with the M9M and 28mm Summicron, at base ISO. It's my girlfriend's horse. He had got very old and frail, and there was no way around the fact that he would have to be put down. He couldn't lie down, or get up off the ground if he fell. She wanted a last picture of him, so we went up to the field on the afternoon of his last day before the vet came. We turned him into the late afternoon sun so it shone along his flank and put a catchlight in his eye. You can see that he's very old.

The picture is on the wall of the spare room, printed A2 size. The detail and tonality in the print are remarkable. The M9M is still a tremendous camera.

First, beautiful, evocative photo!  Bravo.

Second, my deepest sympathies to your girlfriend.  That's such a hard thing.  Congratulations to you for providing such a meaningful memory for her.

Kent

• Like 1