Using Plustek 8000 and Lightroom

RayD28

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I scanned an processed an HP5+ negative using Silverfast and an Epson V600.  I then imported the file into Lightroom to complete the image which looked fine.  That was about a year ago before I got the Plustek.  I scanned the same negative using the Plustek and Silverfast and imported the file into LR and the highlights were blown out.  I looked at the Plustek image in Silverfast and the highlights are not blown out so it seems LR is doing something that causes the problem upon import.  I don't use any presets in LR.  Any suggestions?  

Edited by RayD28

45 minutes ago, RayD28 said:

I scanned an processed an HP5+ negative using Silverfast and an Epson V600.  I then imported the file into Lightroom to complete the image which looked fine.  That was about a year ago before I got the Plustek.  I scanned the same negative using the Plustek and Silverfast and imported the file into LR and the highlights were blown out.  I looked at the Plustek image in Silverfast and the highlights are not blown out so it seems LR is doing something that causes the problem upon import.  I don't use any presets in LR.  Any suggestions?  

did you scan as tiff?

what settings did you use while scanning in silverfast on the plustek?

what bit depth was the scanned file in silverfast?

check if  lightroom is applying a develop setting while importing the file?

did you set the scan settings to b&w and try using linear as the profile in negafix?

Edited by frame-it

2 hours ago, frame-it said:

did you scan as tiff?  —- yes

what settings did you use while scanning in silverfast on the plustek? —— I selected film type - hp5+ iso400 - did pre scan and use histogram sliders to get a relatively flat image.  I turn off dust correction   

what bit depth was the scanned file in silverfast? —-  B&W 16 bit 

check if  lightroom is applying a develop setting while importing the file? — Not sure how sure how to check that  I’m not savvy with LR and don’t use pre-sets 

did you set the scan settings to b&w and try using linear as the profile in negafix?  Yes to B&W  I’m not sure about linear  Does that mean no film type selected?

Thanks for the questions.   I responded to some but I’ll have to look at the screen to verify the question about using linear. 

I try to keep things consistent to and I believe I did the same process and setting for the epson scan and the plustek. 

Edited by RayD28

Hi Ray

I don't know Silverfast but did the highlights look ok in Silverfast when you scanned the image on both scanners?

I'd be quite surprised if there wouldn't be a difference in output when an image is scanned using two different scanners. I don't know the image of course, but I imagine the dynamic range of each scanner sensor differs which, if true, could impact how much information each is able to pull from the negative.

Another thing is that you will probably need to tweak your Silverfast settings to account for differences in scanner behaviour. So the same settings might not work for both.

Whichever is the reason, if the preview in Silverfast doesn't have blown highlights that ought to be a good indication of the final result regarding the highlights.

A last thing, if you have another image editor (Photoshop, Adobe Camera Raw etc) open the files there and check for differences.

Just a few wild ideas, hope they help some

Philip 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RayD28 said:

Thanks for the questions.   I responded to some but I’ll have to look at the screen to verify the question about using linear. 

I try to keep things consistent to and I believe I did the same process and setting for the epson scan and the plustek. 

try opening the tiff file in another software like mac image preview or windows picture viewer first, if its fine then its lghtroom thats at fault..

curious how you got the option for dust correction when you selected b&w? on my silverfast once i select b&W there is no infrared dust correction

5 hours ago, RayD28 said:

I’m not sure about linear  Does that mean no film type selected?

instead of adjusting the histogram, inside negafix, choose linear in the tab below the film type

• Like 1

20 hours ago, philipus said:

Hi Ray

I don't know Silverfast but did the highlights look ok in Silverfast when you scanned the image on both scanners?

I'd be quite surprised if there wouldn't be a difference in output when an image is scanned using two different scanners. I don't know the image of course, but I imagine the dynamic range of each scanner sensor differs which, if true, could impact how much information each is able to pull from the negative.

Another thing is that you will probably need to tweak your Silverfast settings to account for differences in scanner behaviour. So the same settings might not work for both.

Whichever is the reason, if the preview in Silverfast doesn't have blown highlights that ought to be a good indication of the final result regarding the highlights.

A last thing, if you have another image editor (Photoshop, Adobe Camera Raw etc) open the files there and check for differences.

Just a few wild ideas, hope they help some

Philip 

I'll try opening with Photoshop and your other suggestions.  I agree different scanners abilities but I thought the Plustek would outperform the Epson v600.  Perhaps not.  

20 hours ago, frame-it said:

try opening the tiff file in another software like mac image preview or windows picture viewer first, if its fine then its lghtroom thats at fault..

curious how you got the option for dust correction when you selected b&w? on my silverfast once i select b&W there is no infrared dust correction

instead of adjusting the histogram, inside negafix, choose linear in the tab below the film type

I tried the linear tab and got the same result.  I said dust removal but it was actually some other function.  I don't recall which and I'm not in front of my regular computer.  I opened the TIFF file using mac preview and the highlights were blown.  

Try Vuescan with your Plustek. I know Silverfast came bundled with the scanner but it's bloated and unhelpful software especially if you let it automatically decide on contrast etc..

What is generally concerning is that the highlights are blown out, which leads me to wonder if you are trying to achieve your finished image directly from the scanner? The scanner is only used to gather information from the negative, and the more you push it (and the software) to the edge in trying to get shadow and highlight detail to the max you risk being let down. Aim instead for an image with no clipping and if it looks flat and tonally boring you are doing the right thing, and although it needs organising differently you will have gathered all the information you can. Import this into Lightroom and adjust the contrast from there, you have far more control even if you just start out pressing 'Auto Contrast' as a test. 

• Like 1