Summicron 8 Element Help

Alexeden

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, just wondering if someone can shed some light on a Summicron 35mm V1 question for me. 

Have attached a couple of photos of an M39 mount 8 element but with 0.7m MFD and very early 1958 serial number. 

Were all M39 Summicrons 1m MFD (making this a conversion) or were some made with the factory adapter? Seems very early serial number too as think not many were made in 1958?

Any help gratefully received. Thanks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I only encountered Summicron "I" with factory fit adapter.

Same with Summaron 2.8/35mm.

If the Summicron sold as screwmount with 70cm on focus ring, or worse 65cm,

pricing as screw model (577 made with 1m focus) the selling is not honest.

I'm certain that "35/135" adapter IRZOO/14097 ... can replace for use on M.

Thank you for the replies. So it's either an M2 bayonet version which has been adapted to LTM or it's a genuine one which has lost its factory adapter? 

Any thoughts on the serial number? My Laney book states that only 5 M2/bayonet lenses were made in 1958 (and only 1 LTM!)...?

Alex

26 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

I'm certain that "35/135" adapter IRZOO/14097 ... can replace for use on M.

I am not sure about this. There have been threads in the German part of the forum, where users showed that the flange to film distance of the "converted" lens differed from the original LTM-version (can't find the thread anymore though...). So you will have problems to focus the lens correctly (this is also true for using it with an LTM body). 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 minutes ago, UliWer said:

I am not sure about this. There have been threads in the German part of the forum, where users showed that the flange to film distance of the "converted" lens differed from the original LTM-version (can't find the thread anymore though...). So you will have problems to focus the lens correctly (this is also true for using it with an LTM body). 

Ah, yeah this is what i was worried about. I'll see if i can find some more info. 

37 minutes ago, UliWer said:

Maybe not the same lens ?

Yes it's true for the M3 type with 65cm focus only right at infinity, then not RF coupling closer?

I will try with my lens with adapter replacing the factory fit one.

I have tried out,

so update for normal adapter LTM to M replacing factory fit adapter.

I know I must unscrew the tiny set screw which retains the ring.

Tried to first time unscrew the M2 type 35 Summicron "I", I failed, maybe it's glued.

So not to break anything I gave up.

Trying with 2.8/35 Summaron = ok .

Remembering that I had in the past unscrewed my M2 Summaron 2.8/35.

Before unscrewing the adapter, I noted some RF distances at 3m and 1.2m with the M's RF.

Then I replaced the factory fit ring with normal 35/135 ring that I have, no discrepency to talk of.

Beware when unscrew from the M body, no easy way to unmount the factory fit adapter from the M, normal, it is NOT supposed to be off the lens.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

I have tried out,

so update for normal adapter LTM to M replacing factory fit adapter.

I know I must unscrew the tiny set screw which retains the ring.

Tried to first time unscrew the M2 type 35 Summicron "I", I failed, maybe it's glued.

So not to break anything I gave up.

Trying with 2.8/35 Summaron = ok .

Remembering that I had in the past unscrewed my M2 Summaron 2.8/35.

Before unscrewing the adapter, I noted some RF distances at 3m and 1.2m with the M's RF.

Then I replaced the factory fit ring with normal 35/135 ring that I have, no discrepency to talk of.

Beware when unscrew from the M body, no easy way to unmount the factory fit adapter from the M, normal, it is NOT supposed to be off the lens.

Excellent, thank you for your help! 

18 hours ago, Alexeden said:

Were all M39 Summicrons 1m MFD

Yes.

Check your lens diametrically opposite to the focusing index. You will see a little hole in the barrel where the screw from the adapter locks it in place.

Edited by Jul

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve just received this lens. It does have the small hole at just past “6 o clock” on the barrel so presumably that proves that it would have had an m-mount on it originally? The other mystery to me is that indentation/hole for the red dot (see photo) on the barrel just past the 16 on the aperture/distance scale. Did early versions have the dot on the barrel rather than on the m-mount? 

Lastly, any idea where I can source a replacement m-mount from to return it to original? Leica?? 

thanks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!