Buying TL2 in 2022, A good idea?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

They are not useless but future less due to lack of firmware update.  

Look at how long you can use an iPhone vs an Android 

Very old iPhone are still eminently usable due to very generous updates for years. 
On the other hand Androids only get a couple of years or no update at all. 

Cameras need continuous support. New functions to keep them exciting. They were not perfect when released. They need time to be matured. FW updates are the chance for manufacturers to keep up with customers feedback. 

I have a leica TL with builtin flash and love it. This is the closest to shooting Leica M cameras. I use fine jpeg and let the camera do all the processing.

You only need 3 zoom lenses and thats it . The color from the TL pops and it's b&w is spectacular. . Have fun! 

12 hours ago, nicci78 said:

They are not useless but future less due to lack of firmware update.  

Look at how long you can use an iPhone vs an Android 

Very old iPhone are still eminently usable due to very generous updates for years. 
On the other hand Androids only get a couple of years or no update at all. 

Cameras need continuous support. New functions to keep them exciting. They were not perfect when released. They need time to be matured. FW updates are the chance for manufacturers to keep up with customers feedback. 

Why do they need perpetual firmware updates? I understand for the first few months after release, there might be bugs to work out. But these cameras are working great now, they don't need any firmware updates in order to continue delivering the same great performance. The fact that they are (or may) be discontinued is completely irrelevant to their future utility - they will continue to function at exactly the same level.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2022 at 12:40 PM, MJB said:

I don't really understand the mentality that these cameras suddenly become useless once they're discontinued. 🤷‍♂️

What do you think the built-in wifi is really for?  So the factory can remotely disable your cameras when they discontinue it. 

• Haha 2

• 5 weeks later...

On paper the CL is better (built in EVF for example). However when using the Tl(2) it had a certain feel and fun factor which I do not seem to have with the CL. I can't explain why.

I now use FF much more, but juts recently decided to use the TL2 again more often, probably with the small 23mm lens.

40 minutes ago, tom0511 said:

On paper the CL is better (built in EVF for example). However when using the Tl(2) it had a certain feel and fun factor which I do not seem to have with the CL. I can't explain why.

I now use FF much more, but juts recently decided to use the TL2 again more often, probably with the small 23mm lens.

Not sure I agree with that, but “better” is subjective, I guess.  The significant differences between the TL2 and the CL are appearance and being able to tilt the EVF.

All of my cameras are discontinued (except the M-A), and none of them need firmware upgrades (thankfully).  They’re for taking pictures …

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First, I'd just like to thank all the early adopters who subsequently sold their brand spanking new TL2's because it means that in Spring 2022, I was able to pick one up mint/as new, from a dealer, for just over 800 euros. So I just want to thank those kind people 😁

Why did I pick one up?

A. Because I can now call myself a properly paid up member of the L Mount alliance as a Lumix camera and Sigma lens user.

B. I can now call myself a Leica owner (my first) and therefore after 22 years in the business, am now properly pro 😜

C. It fills a niche.

The niche?

I use an S1R as my primary stills camera, an S1H and an S5 for video. 

I needed/wanted something L mount even smaller so it was either FP, CL or TL.

If I could have found one, I would probably have gone FP-L but would have been 2.5x the price and brought me what exactly? Some extra megapixels and possibly some banding under certain lighting conditions...

I went TL2 over CL mainly because I don't need or use the EVF. A bit weird, but as a glasses wearer who shoots hybrid 95% of the time, I'm using the rear LCD's for video anyway so have carried that over to stills photo and if it makes me look like a bit of a numpty amateur, I don't really care.

So for me it's a secondary stills machine for the more candid stuff (with the Sigma 35mm f2, 50mm equiv)) where I don't want or need the 47mp files from the S1R and also fulfils a secondary need for a longer lens when I use the Sigma 65mm f2 (100mm equiv).

Criticisms?

Only two really, both of which I have to live with...

A: I wish it had a bigger battery.

B: I wish it had a tilt screen. Not a flip out 'Vloggers Delight', but just a simple tilt.

• Like 3

I still have the T, though it is sitting these days. It is a good camera, but due to its niche you basically cannot give one away. No one wants it, and if they do want it, they want the TL or TL2. While I did experience a few lockups, mine was never that troublesome. If it did have an error, a quick pull of the battery would reset it easily. My biggest complaint with the system was not as much the camera as the lenses. My 23mm never impressed me too much. It looked fine if you did not look closely, but if you did, it was soft and lacking in snap compared to the M lenses (I mostly used the 35mm FLE). I got sharper results from the M lenses I tried on the camera (an later, the Sigma 24mm was sharper too, but bulkier and slower). I am not sure if I got a bad copy, or if that was typical. I found the camera very well made and nice to travel with, but ultimately I think it is a genre better served by the CL, or compact cameras like the X100 series or Ricoh GR cameras.

• Like 1

The Tl2 is a good camera and a bit of a UFO on the market.
It's not perfect but if you like to use a screen to take pictures then it's an excellent choice.
It gives you access to TL lenses which are excellent.
There are some very good deals to be had at the moment... on the tl2 with prime lenses. 60mm, 35mm 23mm or 18mm.
It gives access to M lenses with excellent results.
So yes it is still an absolutely valid choice in 2022 in my opinion. 

I bought one end of last year as a camera for the pocket, or a digital backup to a film camera. 

I just wish it would magnify the image when shooting M or R lenses ... or what is the setting to do that? I keep going through the menu but cannot re-assign the left wheel when a manual lens is installed. 

37 minutes ago, Sandokan said:

I bought one end of last year as a camera for the pocket, or a digital backup to a film camera. 

I just wish it would magnify the image when shooting M or R lenses ... or what is the setting to do that? I keep going through the menu but cannot re-assign the left wheel when a manual lens is installed. 

You should be able to do that. (This is with the latest firmware installed.) Open the MY CAMERA menu, then open the MAIN MENU (tools icon) which provides access to all menu items on the camera. Then open GENERAL, scroll down and open LEFT DIAL, scroll down to FOCUS AID and set it to ON.

Once the above procedure is done, also from the MAIN MENU open FOCUS (top right icon) then open FOCUS AID to select one of the three focus aid settings you want to use.

Edited by J12

2 hours ago, Sandokan said:

it only works with Leica own adapters, either Leica M-Adapter-L or R-Adapter-L or R-Adapter-M + M-Adapter-L.

Those adapters will also trigger automatic software corrections after lens detection via 6-bit coding or ROM or manual selection in the lens selection menu.

None of that with third party adapter rings.

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 10:07 AM, nicci78 said:

it only works with Leica own adapters, either Leica M-Adapter-L or R-Adapter-L or R-Adapter-M + M-Adapter-L.

Those adapters will also trigger automatic software corrections after lens detection via 6-bit coding or ROM or manual selection in the lens selection menu.

None of that with third party adapter rings.

I have tested my new to me TL2 with coded Elmar-M 24/3.8, and lens is detected, and jpg corrected.

I also have Macro-Elmarit-R 60/2.8 (R-only, not ROM).

Leica adapters for both.

Where can I find the lens selection menu ? (TL2)

1022 grams total, not pocketable, but capable.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

(sorry for image quality, i really need a new iPad)

Comparison picture, 776 grams with 24/3.8.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Yes, maybe. Can someone with TL2 confirm?

I have an uncoded Summicron-M 50, will test that.

On CL, are lens selection table only available when using uncoded lens?

Anyway, I have my own corrections in post, CFA data in DNG’s from TL2 seems not corrected, it is as is from the sensor I believe

(I detection/lens selection only set information fields in the DNG.)

The TL2 is the next step forward in my view of the camera of the future even though it has been discontinued.  The iPhone like interface works well for me.  In addition, it is significantly more compact, light and packable and will become my go to travel system.  Having autofocus in addition is a great plus aging eyes.  I just set the camera to focus and release so it auto-focus and takes a picture with a simple finger tap of the screen on the focus point. 

It is much easier to carry and pack compared to an M system which I still use for local photo excursions.

• Like 1

For me it was the live view via EVF, lens adapters, and crop factor.

I plan to use it as a technical camera, macro, even microscopic photo with bellows, but also perhaps getting a long AF tele with IS for birds.

So far seems to be a very flexible camera for having fun.

But for my normal photos I prefer my M8. More direct in use.

The touch interface, I like it, but not when taking photos.

So i have the camera set to EVF extended, left dial ISO, right shutter, manual exposure, and fn to get the menu.

What i miss is a dedicated play button for review of images, otherwise i like to keep the display off.