Leica 0 serie (reissue) manual

The only way to “master” the Null series is to shoot, shoot and shoot.   The big glitch you soon find is wasting frames forgetting to cap, and uncap, the lens at the proper time.   The best method I’ve found is to Never wind on after you’ve exposed.  This gives you the option to change shutter speeds, which can only be done as the film is “half advanced”.   Good Luck with it, the Lens alone is worth the price of the camera.   ••••. The earlier reissue has a useless finder.

@sweat100

If your Replica came with the dedicated case, you may find one "manual" hidden in the rear part in the case.

Mine is in french as "LEICA instructions générales pour la prise de photographie avec le LEICA 0-SERIE",

nice folding in plastified paper.

A short video (not by me )

Thank you. I only have the camera without any other accessories, thus figuring out the little items that I might have missed. 

Using this camera is really a ritual, I like the process, similar to large format cameras. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/13/2022 at 4:25 PM, sweat100 said:

Thank you. I only have the camera without any other accessories, thus figuring out the little items that I might have missed. 

Using this camera is really a ritual, I like the process, similar to large format cameras. 

Even worse when we take into account the film format of 24mmx36mm in place of 6cmx9cm to 24cmx36cm.

This is one kind in our world ...of happy (?) users, to mimic early 20 th century photographer.

And in large format we can adjust at will the shutter speed, at anytime, not in this particular Replica !

We can not "have" 36 exposures in one roll though with large format.

👇

The good thing is slow-photography, pictures in full conscientiousness, quite therapeutic.

I find my muscle memory for using my Null seems to suffer amnesia. I must waste at least 5 or 6 frames on every film in my Null. I have posted this before but IMHO Leica made an error in putting a non self-capping shutter on the Null replica. They were prepared to compromise the originality to add coating to the lens to improve imaging so why not add a self-capping shutter to improve usability. Obviously Oscar Barnack quickly realised the irritation factor of the Null shutter as the 1A if just a year later, has self-capping. 

Wilson

Barnack made the last of the Null series WITH a self capping shutter.  My Gripe is the reissues are 1/8” taller than the originals. •••••••. It’s too bad Leitz did not do a re-reissue on the Cameras Centennial.  The Null series cameras have been steadily increasing in value,  probably due to the majority being in “firm hands”.

PS.  I have the manual imaged, and can post the pages if anyone is interested. Edited by Ambro51

1 hour ago, Ambro51 said:

Barnack made the last of the Null series WITH a self capping shutter.  My Gripe is the reissues are 1/8” taller than the originals. •••••••. It’s too bad Leitz did not do a re-reissue on the Cameras Centennial.  The Null series cameras have been steadily increasing in value,  probably due to the majority being in “firm hands”.

PS.  I have the manual imaged, and can post the pages if anyone is interested.

Are those the Null replicas with the awful picture of Oskar painted onto the back but with the upside of a Galilean finder rather than the silly wire frame. 

Wilson

Well, the 2004 version, with the nice finder has the portrait.   As to self capping, that’s the later production of the Original Null series, never on the replica.  Win/win, would be a camera tech replacing the later (portrait) covering with the earlier.   The second version, I understand, was 2,000 Cameras,   The earlier, 4,000.   It does seem though a far greater number of the first version appears for sale.