Hand strap, Neck strap or No strap?

Al404

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I make my own neck straps.
One I did is a 5 feet/150cm double leather stitched wenge color for carrying the camera diagonally in my Peak Design belt pouch.
Another ine is a short untreated thick bright leather for having the camera on my chest.
Always a neck strap for me.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 1

As side note concerning metallic parts of strap, in my experiences, so not universal 😉.

Early on, I did use straps ( in those days made of nice leather ) with metallic parts for attaching and length adjust .

I saw some rubbings or scratches on the cameras and other gears when I used or carried the cameras (in/out of bag many times a day).

When I discovered nylon straps later, with no apparent metallic parts, those scratches/rubbings never occured as before.

• Like 1

My usual way to carry a Leica-sized camera is with a neck strap that is long enough to be worn cross-body; over one shoulder, so that the camera hangs near the opposite hip. The Leica Strap 14312, as shown in the post by a.noctilux, is long enough for this to work, for me. 

Most interchangeable-lens cameras are too large to hang comfortably, directly in front of me, with the strap simply around the back of my neck, though I may wear the strap that way, if I am actively holding the weight of the camera, so that the strap is simply acting as insurance against the camera being dropped.

On 2/6/2022 at 5:45 AM, a.noctilux said:

@Ko.Fe.

You may be right,

but have you followed the attaching process, as this strap is not ordinary strap,

and Leica did warn, figure 4, only a couple of millimeters of pushing the retaining rubber ring can hold or NOT the camera.

But never mind, I told new Leica users so many times, that this would be effortless.

This strap is to be attached as Leica "hope for".

I see that the warning is on the 14312 strap box itself ...

I’ve put this 14312 strap on all of my M bodies since the 80’s, without any failure.  Helps to follow instructions and make sure the plastic connection piece clicks in securely.  It works.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

I use Peak design on both Ms.  Able to pop on a wrist strap or standard  quickly and easily.  (the red dongles look kewel)

If one is worried about the strength of that Peak rig, my huge GX 100s and humongus lenses have never overstressed it.

Edited by Stephen.s1

I'm all set to buy yet another #14312 adjustable nylon strap.  Curious though, as when I bought my M10 it came with a leather strap, non-adjustable.  Anyone know what the part number is for the Leica leather strap that came with the M10?  I like that just as much, maybe more, than the #14312.  I've slowly gotten the #14312 for most of my cameras now, Leica and Nikon.

Curious - did the M8.2 come stock with a strap, and if so, which one?  It too has a #14312 on it now.  Not sure if it came that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Strapless as a richness indicator? Then I must rich.

Without joke: How often do You drop things? Nearly never I think. Why should You drop the camera. It is a bit different if You are in a crowd of people. For this and for the theft risk I have a insurance.

sometimes I use a strap sometimes not. But this is not depending from my fear of dropping the camera. 

3 hours ago, elmars said:

sometimes I use a strap sometimes not. But this is not depending from my fear of dropping the camera.

Fearless and proud to be so, kudos to you ;).

I am in the opposite camp myself but i don't despair :D.

• Like 2

On my Leicas I use no strap whatsoever. I prefer them completely naked.  I find a strap more of a nuisance and a hazard than a benefit.

My ideal is a Billingham 72 across my chest. Camera out - take photo(s) - camera back in bag.  The only time I nearly dropped my camera was when the strap got caught on a doorknob. This does not apply to small point and shoot cameras which always seem to come with a wrist strap. 

1 hour ago, Mute-on said:

The only time I nearly dropped my camera was when the strap got caught on a doorknob.

Last time it happened to me was when I forgot to put on my neck strap on a mountain 30+ years ago. I had my nice M4-2 with me, shot a couple Kodachromes with it and dropped it as i usually do but instead of falling on me it fell on the rocks... Stupid me... Never again.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2022 at 12:46 PM, Al404 said:

On my camera I always use peakdesign hand strap but on Leica M it kind of look weird

I did get a really nice  Leica neck strap with the camera but somebody advice me to watch out because it may hang somewhere and make the camera fall

I usually keep the camera in my small bag, take it out for some shoots and then I put it back in the bag

Personally a neck strap gives me a sore neck and also the constant bumping against my tummy is horrible.

I prefer using an art and artisan wrist strap, otherwise putting it in my shoulder bag.

It's all personal taste though

• Like 1

Strap, but never around the neck, only the shoulder or wrapped around the wrist when using. A strap allows one peace of mind to 'put the camera away' so to speak over the shoulder, which is more quickly accessible than when its been stuffed into a bag. I use Upstraps (now called Journey) as they 'stick' to the shoulder, allowing for less shrugging and slippage and more peace of mind. A strap made out of exotic leather might look sexy, but does no good if the damn thing slips and  plunges a $9k camera to the ground. https://journeycamera.com

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2022 at 1:36 PM, epand56 said:

Unless I'm very rich, I would not carry a 6-8 thousand bucks camera (with a 2-10 thousand bucks lens on) without a strap, neck or wrist or whatever. 

I guess then you won't be bidding on the (strap lug-less) Oskar Barnack 0-Series No. 105...that could be a min €1m camera dropped (if it got ever used 🤣)

With 2x M60 Editions and no love for the stupid short-strap dedicated case I always go "naked" and to date I've never dropped one. The only camera to hit the deck ironically was my chrome M9M when the strap snagged on something...

• Like 1

Current strap angst...

Newly arrived Q2: with the CL, which it replaces, I used a wrist strap, often holding the body in my hand as well, at my side as I walked. I've tried this with the Q2 and it is just too fat to grip in the same way. I'm wondering about a handstrap.

Leica Standard: no strap lugs, lives in my bag when not in use, but so small and light I can easily carry it in the palm of my hand with the add-on viewfinder (28mm or 35mm) poking between my fingers. I want a wrist strap for security, though, and have one already (several, in fact); I just need to find a connector for the tripod bush that won't scratch the base.