Hand strap, Neck strap or No strap?

Al404

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On my camera I always use peakdesign hand strap but on Leica M it kind of look weird

I did get a really nice  Leica neck strap with the camera but somebody advice me to watch out because it may hang somewhere and make the camera fall

I usually keep the camera in my small bag, take it out for some shoots and then I put it back in the bag

I would say, depending on situations and taste.

I use them all for so long that in my view, the better way is trying all "solutions" to be prepared.

1 - without strap, that is a bit scarry but why not (for me with a grip then)

2 - wrist strap, my prefered configuration if the lens in use is not tooheavy

3 - shoulder strap, I have so many but the best for my usage is nylon easy to attach/detach which came with M for decades.

My prefered for film M

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nice for vertical framing

releasing with thumb

THE BEST strap is to be found for oneself.

Nylon strap can be adjusted easily in length

how easy is the 14312 to use

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Neck strap over your shoulder or across your chest. My preferred brand is Harry Benz

When your camera is sitting on a table never, never let the strap hang over the edge of a table.

A good rule for cameras or any electronics is not to drop them.

At any case this is a very personal decision 🙂

Edited by ECohen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Al404 said:

I did get a really nice  Leica neck strap with the camera but somebody advice me to watch out because it may hang somewhere and make the camera fall

It seems to me that that could happen if you use it as a shoulder strap, not if you carry the camera on the neck.

But to your question: I use the Japanese silk straps, which I can easily switch from neck to hand/wrist. It's a bit of a pity because the recent Leica M straps are nicer than ever. Recently I mostly carry the camera on the neck and have a packsafe waistbag for a lens or two. I can even add my M in it if I take just two lenses, which is handy for places where photography is not allowed, because it doesn't show as a camerabag. I came to this habit because it's the most handy and fast way to change lenses. If you carry your camera in a shoulder bag and have to pull it out every time, changing lenses lasts too long and you always have to wind your strap, too much volume and ado in the bag.

Edited by otto.f

• Hand strap on the SL2-S. It allows a good grip, and I can put the camera down quickly when I need to sort out lighting.
  • Wrist strap on the CL (and the M240 before that), for when I'm ready to shoot, but otherwise the camera is in a shoulder bag, where a long neck strap gets in the way. I don't like the weight of a digital M around my neck/shoulder.
  • Luigi Cases Silky neck strap (and leather half case) for the M4, across my shoulder. I'd like a wrist strap, but I am not convinced older Leica strap lugs are up to it.
  • I have the same neck strap and half case on order for my recently acquired IIf. Currently using it with a standard Leica nylon neck strap. 
  • I have a II Model D on the way - no strap lugs! I'll get something like an Billingham Avea 5 to carry it.

and a backpack for the Chroma Carbon 4x5 - no straps!

Edited by LocalHero1953

3 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Which? Wrist strap or neck strap?

Wrist strap from Gordy on my M4, if you look well, you can see it on my avatar photo up left

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

Usually a leather wrist-strap if I'm doing 'serious' snapping with a second body on a regular 14312 neck-strap (as seen in Arnaud's post #2) around my neck. If it's more of a casual day out I'll usually just have one camera and would normally carry it on my shoulder using the same 14312 strap but it might be transferred to the wrist and used as a wrap-around if conditions suit.

Unusually (or so it would seem) when carrying the camera using a wrist-strap I always have it in my left hand.

Current favourite strap is this fairly beefy effort. It's wide enough to be a comfortable fit for hours on end without it ever digging-in to the arm/wrist/hand;

Philip.

EDIT : I meant to add that when using two cameras and wanting to take a snap with the one around my neck the strap shown above is solid and strong enough to allow this body to dangle freely. So far the strap lug is holding firm......

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2

The original Leica nylon neck strap is my preferred one. It is light and souple, you can occasionally use it as a wrist if needed. It doesn't slip on the shoulder and the smart clip system doesn't scratch the body. I never found a better one

5 hours ago, ECohen said:

Neck strap over your shoulder or across your chest. My preferred brand is Harry Benz

When your camera is sitting on a table never, never let the strap hang over the edge of a table.

A good rule for cameras or any electronics is not to drop them.

At any case this is a very personal decision 🙂

The B Strap made by Harry Benz is my favorite. 

I'm 6 feet tall and a length of 135-140 cm. is good for cross body carry.  it puts the camera at about belt level so that when you need it you can bring it up to your eye with ease.  When I'm wearing my camera but not shooting, I can push it back so that it rides just above my right hip where it's safe and out of the way.

Good rules for cameras:
*Don't drop them
*Don't submerge them
*Don't dump coffee/wine/beer on them
*Don't let them be exposed to a downpour
*Don't set them down in the sand at the beach
*Don't put them in checked luggage when flying
*Don't leave them in a vehicle or its trunk during hot weather
It's amazing how many people forget/ignore/cannot comprehend the above.
Edited by Herr Barnack

I can't say anything about M240 since it is in its forum. Must be special.

Avoid Leica strap rings shown in post #2. I had them disconnected from camera twice. Didn't waited for third time and replaced this utter garbage with normal rings.

No strap, you will drop camera sooner or later, had strap, you will bump it hard into something. Neck strap is the best.

I found this strap that I like I was wondering if can damage the camera, do you use leather protection on rings or is not really needed ?

15 minutes ago, Al404 said:

I found this strap that I like I was wondering if can damage the camera, do you use leather protection on rings or is not really needed ?

I wouldn't use it. That clip looks too large and, if it doesn't scratch the camera, will scratch anything else in the bag. That little jewel thingy looks well placed to scratch the camera. My basic rule for non-scratch is: as little metal as possible in the whole strap, not just in the clips. Many/most straps designed for Leica already come with such leather protection. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

I can't say anything about M240 since it is in its forum. Must be special.

Avoid Leica strap rings shown in post #2. I had them disconnected from camera twice. Didn't waited for third time and replaced this utter garbage with normal rings.

No strap, you will drop camera sooner or later, had strap, you will bump it hard into something. Neck strap is the best.

@Ko.Fe.

You may be right,

but have you followed the attaching process, as this strap is not ordinary strap,

and Leica did warn, figure 4, only a couple of millimeters of pushing the retaining rubber ring can hold or NOT the camera.

But never mind, I told new Leica users so many times, that this would be effortless.

This strap is to be attached as Leica "hope for".

I see that the warning is on the 14312 strap box itself ...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

The B Strap made by Harry Benz is my favorite. 

I'm 6 feet tall and a length of 135-140 cm. is good for cross body carry.  it puts the camera at about belt level so that when you need it you can bring it up to your eye with ease.  When I'm wearing my camera but not shooting, I can push it back so that it rides just above my right hip where it's safe and out of the way.

Good rules for cameras:
*Don't drop them
*Don't submerge them
*Don't dump coffee/wine/beer on them
*Don't let them be exposed to a downpour
*Don't set them down in the sand at the beach
*Don't put them in checked luggage when flying
*Don't leave them in a vehicle or its trunk during hot weather
It's amazing how many people forget/ignore/cannot comprehend the above.

Excellent list.  I'd add do not place the camera such that direct sunlight enters the lens.  

On 2/5/2022 at 8:15 AM, pippy said:

If it's more of a casual day out I'll usually just have one camera and would normally carry it on my shoulder using the same 14312 strap but it might be transferred to the wrist and used as a wrap-around if conditions suit.

Just confirming the strap is on your should and not across you chest.  I carry a camera on my should occasionally but it reduces me to one free hand and if I'm walking briskly I only have one arm swinging.  

11 hours ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Ditto for me but it is a matter of tastes obviously. Always been hand straps for HCB if i recall correctly. 14312 is the regular neck strap for M240 and several other M cameras. I never liked it, especially the rubber or plastic anti-slip pad but it's just me. My favorites are adjustable leather straps like the old 14092 (1st pic) or similar copies (Classic Cases below) but again it's just me.

Edited by lct