35mm - This is the way!

Dennis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am shooting only film.

After owning and heavy using many 35s in the past 15 years(not in a particular order):

Summicron V1 - V4

Summicron ASPH V1

Summaron 2.8

Biogon 2.8

Nokton 1.4 II

Summilux pre ASPH Titan/Germany Black and 1972 Version

I finally have to say, the "best" (there is no such thing, just in context of my journey) is Summilux 35 ASPH (pre Fle). This lens combines perfectly a classic, but not mushy rendering and delivers in all situations. Its beautiful on B&W (Darkroom prints are spectacular) and in color (analog printing).

Oh, and no...there is no focus shift. Leica calibrated this lens a few years ago.

Leica M-A | Delta 100 | wide open 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

11 hours ago, shinobi2012 said:

I am shooting only film.

After owning and heavy using many 35s in the past 15 years(not in a particular order):

Summicron V1 - V4

Summicron ASPH V1

Summaron 2.8

Biogon 2.8

Nokton 1.4 II

I finally have to say, the "best" (there is no such thing, just in context of my journey) is Summilux 35 ASPH (pre Fle). This lens combines perfectly a classic, but not mushy rendering and delivers in all situations. Its beautiful on B&W (Darkroom prints are spectacular) and in color (analog printing).

Oh, and no...there is no focus shift. Leica calibrated this lens a few years ago.

Leica M-A | Delta 100 | wide open 

I would agree that the 35 Summilux ASPH pre-FLE always delivers. I used mine for years in my film days. I purchased it new when it was first introduced. Of late I have been enjoying a lack of bulk with my v4 Summicron. Also a phenomenal lens. My third favorite is my pre-ASPH Summilux which my dad bought me in 1972. That lens is truly two lenses in one. Soft and dreamy wide open and tack sharp stopped down.

• Like 4

The only 35mm I have right now is a Voightlander 35 APO-Lanthar.  I really like its sharpness and clarity, and it appears to have a little less contrast than the Summicrons I've used.  That said, I will be adding a 35mm Summilux 1.4 FLE to my kit.  Not necessarily to replace the APO-Lanthar but rather to have a different look when I want it.  I love the renderings of the 28mm Summilux 1.7 on the Q2 and would like to have that with a 35 Lux on my M10-R. 

I usually don't keep 2 lenses of the same focal length, but given the relatively low cost of the APO-Lanthar and the difference in the images compared to the Lux, it makes more sense to hang on to it rather than sell it.  

23 hours ago, shinobi2012 said:

Summicron V1 - V4

Summicron ASPH V1

Summaron 2.8

Biogon 2.8

Nokton 1.4 II

Many people think like you! One day... I will try it, as 35mm guy, I'm very curious. I just don't like the focus shift issue, cause I shoot a lot at f4. I hope the copy will try don't suffer from it.

11 hours ago, derleicaman said:

My third favorite is my pre-ASPH Summilux which my dad bought me in 1972. That lens is truly two lenses in one. Soft and dreamy wide open and tack sharp stopped down.

At least I have the similar CV 35/1.4II MC :lol:

vor 16 Stunden schrieb derleicaman:

I would agree that the 35 Summilux ASPH pre-FLE always delivers. I used mine for years in my film days. I purchased it new when it was first introduced. Of late I have been enjoying a lack of bulk with my v4 Summicron. Also a phenomenal lens. My third favorite is my pre-ASPH Summilux which my dad bought me in 1972. That lens is truly two lenses in one. Soft and dreamy wide open and tack sharp stopped down.

Yes, I had the Summicron 35 V4 and the pre Fle for some time side by side. Although I liked the smaller seize of the Summicron, in most situations, the Summilux pre Fle somehow had a magic, which I can't describe (especially for people photography), of course at 1,4 but also f2/2.8,which the Summicron did not show. But the Summicron is a very very good performer, but I rather have little more bulk these days.

Agree on Summilux pre ASPH...two in one, and I would prefer this lens over the V4 Summicron (between them two).

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Dennis:

Many people think like you! One day... I will try it, as 35mm guy, I'm very curious. I just don't like the focus shift issue, cause I shoot a lot at f4. I hope the copy will try don't suffer from it.

All I can say, I have no Fokus shift. I checked it on all apertures and distances.

Also, if you want to use it at f4, I would not buy a Summilux 😉 Get the Summicron or Summaron instead.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Dennis:

First is f4, second f5,6 (I rarely stop down, but here it was needed for DOF)

• Like 2

Two more, wide open...Summilux ASPH pre Fle...

the first one, I tilted the camera slightly after getting proper focus so the sharpness moved a bit (user error). This was a test for bokeh, which I really like on the pre Fle

Edited by shinobi2012
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, shinobi2012 said:

All I can say, I have no Fokus shift. I checked it on all apertures and distances.

Awesome. Not all copies has it, of course. Let's say (I heard) it's prone to

21 minutes ago, shinobi2012 said:

Also, if you want to use it at f4, I would not buy a Summilux 😉 Get the Summicron or Summaron instead.

I have a few 35s, and the Summicron asph v1 is my most used lens for work, assignments, and daily life. I use it mostly @f2 and f4. It just fits all my needs. Most people find it boring, de gustibus no est disputandum. But for example, the 35/2.8 ZM usually doesn't move from f4. Different lenses for different purposes. If I had the Summilux Pre Fle, I would probably use it wide open and @f4 🙂

vor 1 Minute schrieb Dennis:

Awesome. Not all copies has it, of course. Let's say (I heard) it's prone to

I have a few 35s, and the Summicron asph v1 is my most used lens for work, assignments, and daily life. I use it mostly @f2 and f4. It just fits all my needs. Most people find it boring, de gustibus no est disputandum. But for example, the 35/2.8 ZM usually doesn't move from f4. Different lenses for different purposes. If I had the Summilux Pre Fle, I would probably use it wide open and @f4 🙂

If you would have a Summilux 35 ASPH pre Fle, you would use it mainly wide open 😉 ...First I thought the same 🙂 But of course, it depends on the subject and context...I usually use Summicron 28 ASPH for DOF , another spectacular lens drawing beautiful 

• Like 1

Interesting thread. Have been using 'cron ASPH v.1, and thought "OK, its fine, but gee, doesn't look like the 'cron 50 that is so nice". Never could get a handle on why.

Tried the CV f1.4 II SC on an M10M, thought it neat for a while, but its a bit too murky open. A friend recommended CV Color Skopar f2.5, and I picked it up (not expensive) and did a grey day, back yard test. The Color Skopar had back focusing, needed live view to nail the focus, but then gave better results than either the CV 1.4 or the 'cron ASPH. It was quite surprising... At f 2.8 and f8, it had better side to side sharpness, better signature, more pop, and also subtlety. The lens is off to Grimes for shimming, and await its return. 

Edited by geoffreyg
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, geoffreyg said:

Interesting thread. Have been using 'cron ASPH v.1, and thought "OK, its fine, but gee, doesn't look like the 'cron 50 that is so nice". Never could get a handle on why.

Tried the CV f1.4 II SC on an M10M, thought it neat for a while, but its a bit too murky open. A friend recommended CV Color Skopar f2.5, and I picked it up (not expensive) and did a grey day, back yard test. The Color Skopar had back focusing, needed live view to nail the focus, but then gave better results than either the CV 1.4 or the 'cron ASPH. It was quite surprising... At f 2.8 and f8, it had better side to side sharpness, better signature, more pop, and also subtlety. The lens is off to Grimes for shimming, and await its return. 

I believe there is a notable difference between the SC and MC. Did you try the latter? I use it w/ my M10 for BW, and I like it a lot. I can't imagine on the M10M.

About the Cron asph v1, not sure what happens w/ you people. Many find it boring, but it always delivers in almost any condition with no lack. The only con I can see is that it is prone to lens flare. But it's fast for a PJ and documentary approach, and it checks all boxes for me. Maybe I don't need a wow or strong character lens, but just a 35mm can consistently deliver like a workhorse. If I need a different (more unique) character performance, I pick up the LLL 35/2, the Nokton II MC, or the 35/1.2 v3, depending on the needs... If I want IQ perfection, well, the Zeiss 35/2.8 Biogon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dennis said:

About the Cron asph v1, not sure what happens w/ you people. Many find it boring, but it always delivers in almost any condition with no lack. 

If it was hard to get, and cost twice as much, people would describe it as transparent, without flaws, rather than lacking character.  There’s a reason it has remained in the Leica catalog for so long (second version has minor tweaks).

Jeff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The one & only 35 Summicron Asph I at it’s best: f/4. In my opinion, of course…

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 12:36 PM, geoffreyg said:y.

Tried the CV f1.4 II SC on an M10M, thought it neat for a while, but its a bit too murky open.

I have this one and love it on the m8/m9m and even on my SL.

Very curious how it will be on the m10….

27 minutes ago, Olaf_ZG said:

I have this one and love it on the m8/m9m and even on my SL.

Very curious how it will be on the m10….

The MC version is wow on the M10. Especially on BW 

Edited by Dennis
Added 2nd sentence
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

W/ the M10, two SOOC shots w/ two of my favorite fast 35mm lenses. No edits

both wide open (@ f1.4)

CV 35/1.4 II MC

and the CV 35/1.2 III (w/ ND 3stops)

Edited by Dennis
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/17/2022 at 4:15 AM, pippy said:

As far as the problem regarding the availability of flint-glass is concerned it does seem to be the case that LLL have managed to source a limited quantity of this material but stocks are finite.

This is true if using vintage flint glass.  But the term is flexible enough that this could simply be marketing fluff.  In fact, I'm not even sure what the manufacturer actually says because the information I see is from other parties.  If you know of manufacturer documentation, I'd love to read it.  Present day flint glass, made with silicon dioxide and potassium, is still in production.  

6 minutes ago, TomKB said:

This is true if using vintage flint glass.  But the term is flexible enough that this could simply be marketing fluff.  In fact, I'm not even sure what the manufacturer actually says because the information I see is from other parties.  If you know of manufacturer documentation, I'd love to read it.  Present day flint glass, made with silicon dioxide and potassium, is still in production.  

Not manufacturer documentation, but what I’ve read elsewhere speaks to a scarcity.

https://www.japancamerahunter.com/2020/11/camera-geekery-light-lens-lab-35mm-f2/

Jeff

36 minutes ago, TomKB said:

The passage I read 'back in the day' was concerning the use of Lead Oxide and the difficulties - for obvious reasons - in obtaining such raw material. The optical benefits of using such glass, however, were considered to be so considerable (as described in various posts I - and a few others - made at the time) that LLL were sourcing such material as they could in order to adhere to the optical formula which they were using for these lenses.

Whether such is still the case is a matter about which I have no information whatsoever.

Philip.

Edited by pippy