Photo & Video editing software's to use?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

New to Leica & this is my first post here.  I recently bought my first Leica -- Leica Q -- and couldn't be more excited to start doing photo editing. Before this from the last 2 to 3 months I was always wondering about photo editing and manipulation I started learning photo and video editing on simple android applications like Picsart photo & video editor, inshot video editor(for video editing),snapseed, kinemaster and tried few more applications that were in my range. I've been trying to decide which editing software I should start with. So now my question is: which editing software either for photo editing or video editing is best to use?  Or put another way: how important is the storage aspect of the software should I consider?  I hope my question makes sense.  Thank you.

if you don't mind a bit of a learning curve as far as basic color correction goes then try Resolve, you can color correct your dngs, and edit your videos, and its free, keep a nice SSD for the storage drive

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

OR

just go with the Adobe CC suite, lightroom and photoshop for pics and premiere pro for editing video

Photoshop Elements is inexpensive and versatile. It will catalogue your existing digital files and process Raw files from your Q. There are plenty of tutorials online and in print. Please don't skimp time working your way up the learning curve.  Your financial outlay deserves more.

If you hit insurmountable problems, ask your colleagues in this forum. Please reward your helpers by telling what you decide to do.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Am 4.2.2022 um 08:17 schrieb wda:

Photoshop Elements is inexpensive and versatile.

Exactly!
I use Premiere Element to quickly edit some UW Videos to show on business social media pages.
I use Photoshop Elements to quickly edit some photos to show on business social media pages.
Both easy to use, inexpensive but still able to make nice movies.
For a beginner I would definitively not recommend either Adobe  Premiere Pro nor DaVinci Resolve as the learning curve is too steep for a beginner.

Photoshop Elements is also a nice, inexpensive piece of software, however there are better and free solutions like GIMP for example.

Adobe Lightroom is probably the best solution as it catalogize the photos and give the most important instruments to edit the photos in the library.

Chris

On 2/4/2022 at 3:29 AM, frame-it said:

if you don't mind a bit of a learning curve as far as basic color correction goes then try Resolve, you can color correct your dngs, and edit your videos, and its free, keep a nice SSD for the storage drive

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

OR

just go with the Adobe CC suite, lightroom and photoshop for pics and premiere pro for editing video

+1 for Resolve. The free version you can download is really good. The online instruction videos are good, but I hunted around for the instruction book Black Magic publishes - it links up well with the sample videos that come with the software download.

• 4 months later...
On 3/16/2022 at 3:29 PM, Chuck Albertson said:

+1 for Resolve.

+2 for Resolve.  Unless you have some specific need for Final Cut or Premiere, Resolve is widely used.  I don't understand why the version we need is free, but it is.  Blackmagic seems to make its money on hardware.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For years I have used PS Elements as my processor of choice on Windows. I don't need most of the gizmos in newer versions so still run a copy that I bought about ten years ago. I use Nik as a plugin to run with it (about which I have some minor reservations) and am pretty happy with the results.

I am considering moving all my Image Processing to a fast Linux (Ubuntu) system and am looking at the options. One option at least would be to use PSE with Topaz over a Virtual Machine. In my book GIMP doesn't cut it , nor does Darktable, which I can't get the hang of. Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, PeterD said:

I am considering moving all my Image Processing to a fast Linux (Ubuntu) system and am looking at the options. One option at least would be to use PSE with Topaz over a Virtual Machine.

What computer would you use to run Ubuntu?  What advantage does Ubuntu have over a virtual Windows machine?  I am very interested in your thoughts because I have often thought about switching to a Linux machine from MacOS.  Apple's change to Apple Silicon makes me think even more about Linux because I am a user of Parallels to run Windows software on MacOS.

5 hours ago, PeterD said:

For years I have used PS Elements as my processor of choice on Windows. I don't need most of the gizmos in newer versions so still run a copy that I bought about ten years ago. I use Nik as a plugin to run with it (about which I have some minor reservations) and am pretty happy with the results.

I am considering moving all my Image Processing to a fast Linux (Ubuntu) system and am looking at the options. One option at least would be to use PSE with Topaz over a Virtual Machine. In my book GIMP doesn't cut it , nor does Darktable, which I can't get the hang of. Any thoughts?

On Linux you might also look at Raw Therapee and ART:

https://www.rawtherapee.com/

https://bitbucket.org/agriggio/art/wiki/Home

If you end up sticking with Windows software I'm not sure why you'd want to run it in a Windows VM on Linux, unless you already have a fast Linux system for something else. I suppose old software without security updates may be more secure in a VM, though you could use Windows as both the host and guest.

• 2 weeks later...

To reply to you both 🙂 I run an HP X360 8-core with 1TB SSD. It's my research machine. My image store is a Raspberry Pi with  1TB SSD configured as RAID10 and  accessible from the other machine.

I have used Linux one way or another for years and years and Unix before that. I too got fed up with Apple's restrictions and proprietary limitations but that was in the the time of the III 🙂

Why did I ask the question as I did? Because I do have a fast engine, but more importantly because I would like to use Topaz as I am particularly impressed with the images that it produces and it was recommended by several people whose experience and expertise I value. Unfortunately it requires Windows or MacOS, hence the VM requirement.

Anbaric: thanks for the recommendations I will have another look but I think I wasn't keen on RAWtherapee when I looked a couple (?) of years back.

Zietz: " What advantage does Ubuntu have over a virtual Windows machine?" Ubuntu is free and it can run a Windows VM if you need it. As I said above I have been running it for years for work reasons and do everything else on it too. Equivalents of most apps - if not the apps themselves - run on it. Adobe does have issues with it though and PS doesn't run on it except through a VM  Running Ubuntu is pretty straightforward and can be easily configured to run all your favourite browsers etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
16 hours ago, RafaelReed said:

I also want to learn video editing for tiktok upload and where should I start

Guess: YouTube.  I've not looked but would bet there are lots of "how to tiktok" videos.  For video editing in general there are plenty of choices, but be aware the the better editors have a largish learning curve.  Final Cut Pro or Premiere Pro will cost you.  DaVinci Resolve is free.  All three are very powerful.  Again, YouTube will have turorials on these and others.  Check some of them out and see what looks like something you can use.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, marchyman said:

Guess: YouTube.  I've not looked but would bet there are lots of "how to tiktok" videos.  For video editing in general there are plenty of choices, but be aware the the better editors have a largish learning curve.  Final Cut Pro or Premiere Pro will cost you.  DaVinci Resolve is free.  All three are very powerful.  Again, YouTube will have turorials on these and others.  Check some of them out and see what looks like something you can use.

thank you

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using a really user-friendly video editor for quite a while - Animotica. it doesn't require top hardware which I like cause I have a pretty old laptop. Also, they have some tutorials on their YouTube channel, but there aren't many. Anyways, it's really intuitive, so you shouldn't have much trouble figuring it out. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...