Oberwerth HARRY & SALLY or THE M?

Al404

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I write it here because it is not a specific model related question, and it doesn't seem to me that there is a generic M camera section 

I would like to get a Oberwerth but I can't decide between HARRY & SALLY or THE M

doubts

- can the M leave oily material on clothes? does anybody used in summer and find some stain on clothes?

- the 2 bags has 2 different padding system, I don't need to extract the padding since the bag it will only be used with the camera inside, what I can see from the picture a separate padding leaves less room but maybe is more protective with a rangefinder camera

Any suggestion

Due to boredom and the fact that I own an Oberwerth bag, I decided to investigate your questions. Your post is very cryptic and hard to follow. These are high priced, premier bags. Why would a company sell camera bags for hundreds of dollars and be oily??? Any bag you buy from them will give you years of satisfaction, but keep in mind their bags are made in limited numbers and sell out quickly. Enjoy and good luck!

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 3:42 PM, Al404 said:

I write it here because it is not a specific model related question, and it doesn't seem to me that there is a generic M camera section 

I would like to get a Oberwerth but I can't decide between HARRY & SALLY or THE M

doubts

- can the M leave oily material on clothes? does anybody used in summer and find some stain on clothes?

- the 2 bags has 2 different padding system, I don't need to extract the padding since the bag it will only be used with the camera inside, what I can see from the picture a separate padding leaves less room but maybe is more protective with a rangefinder camera

Any suggestion

i have used Freiburg, the leather is soft and supple, but it is NOT oily.

the only bag that makes stain in my jeans is domke, because the canvas's wax is melting under a very hot/sunny day

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kivis said:

Why would a company sell camera bags for hundreds of dollars and be oily???

Heck, Leica themselves sold bags that came with a little canister of - mink oil. ;) The old burgundy bags for the Aztec-edition R3 and others, around 1982 ±.

We Nikon users (at the time) used to giggle about it. "Got your Leica-brand mink oil? Snrk, snrk, snrk!"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274683126497

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194502073445?hash=item2d493a1c65:g:Nu8AAOSwxSphjtWU

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175064250097

Mink oil is like colorless shoe polish - keeps the leather flexible and water-repellent. Properly applied (a little goes a long way), the leather should soak it all up and not spread it to other things.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an Oberwerth bag.

I forget exactly which model.

Didnt like it at 1st for some reason..just kinda a strange bag..in my mind..

Got it at about 50% off as a demo model.

Personally it grew on me and is probably my nicest bag now.

Almost too nice to beat up..

Was going to the seashore the other day and thought..do I want to bring the Oberwerth? In the salt and snow..?

Nope..

The Billingham is way way better for that..

Pros..

Looks great. Dressy. Provides adequate protection.

Cons..

Thieves will like it..

Rain will ruin it..

And the external pockets are poorly designed with weak magnets and they are not secure..

As well as the fiddly locking details on the other flaps..

btw..its not ..oily..

Here's mine w/Linhof 6x12..it actually squeezes in there w/2 lenses and finder.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by tsleica

• 2 months later...
On 2/6/2022 at 6:46 AM, tritentrue said:

My Oberwerth Boulevard (black leather) has been sweated on and rained on repeatedly here in an equatorial climate, and it does not leave any stain or anything oily on my clothes.

And obviously doesn't allow water to enter....

The weight is too high, the flaps are too long which means you’re slow in getting your camera out, the bags are not flexible which is disturbing when sitting down in a restaurant, a train, or the Bayreuth opera house, etc etc, so why…

Here its about Oberwerth. But let me still make a turn. 

For a reason or another I never liked the look of the Oberwerth bag. Then a few years ago I was in Wetzlar in the Leica factory and found in their outlet the beautiful ONA bag made for Leica M which has even the little red dot and the interior material is red as well. It can carry 2 to 3 lenses plus the M with lens attached. So 3to 4 lenses in total plus battery and Visoflex2. My lenses I always transport in their little black bag so that when 2 lenses are in the same compartment they do not get damaged.